Decisions, decisions!

lydwoman888

Am entering ebike market, and budget is a big consideration. I'm a total newbie who wants to commute to work, shopping, etc. Terrain is not in the cards. Want to get some exercise, but want a little power assist to deal with hills & aging knees. The two bikes I'm considering are the eProdigy Cypress & the Polaris Meridian. The price point is identical, tho' the Meridian comes with lights, fenders & a rack. Excuse me for being an ebike idiot, but is there anybody out there who could share some insights?

Thx.

Am entering ebike market, and budget is a big consideration. I'm a total newbie who wants to commute to work, shopping, etc. Terrain is not in the cards. Want to get some exercise, but want a little power assist to deal with hills & aging knees. The two bikes I'm considering are the eProdigy Cypress & the Polaris Meridian. The price point is identical, tho' the Meridian comes with lights, fenders & a rack. Excuse me for being an ebike idiot, but is there anybody out there who could share some insights?

Thx.
Please list your location and height and I can hopefully provide more options for you to consider.

Vancouver. 5'3". Used to ride a26" wheel but not sure of frame size. Tux for ur reply.

Chris Nolte (above) is the expert here on this post but my question for you would be: Have you looked at some low-step or step through bikes? Your aging knees would appreciate it! Also, I only have a 6-mile RT commute and have found that 20" wheels are perfect for short distances... AND short people. (5'8") You will get exercise with any bike that you choose, regardless of the specs!

Budget is always a consideration, however, I would recommend even taking a loan out to buy a good bike. You can make up for that loan by not having to purchase gasoline.

Chris Nolte (above) is the expert here on this post but my question for you would be: Have you looked at some low-step or step through bikes? Your aging knees would appreciate it! Also, I only have a 6-mile RT commute and have found that 20" wheels are perfect for short distances... AND short people. (5'8") You will get exercise with any bike that you choose, regardless of the specs!
Well, thanks for those suggestions., Vandon. Yes, the Meridian is a step through and the eProdigy is a low-step. My work commute is about the same, but do u find 20" wheels equally good for longer treks?

Vancouver. 5'3". Used to ride a26" wheel but not sure of frame size. Tux for ur reply.

My two favorite full size bikes for shorter riders are the Easy Motion Evo Eco Lite (Sold out for another month or so) and the Pedego 24" Interceptor II (Step Thru Frame with 24" wheels specifically made for shorter riders). On the higher end the Felt SPORTe will be available in a small step thru size this month, but I'm not sure there plans for distribution into Canada. Depending on your time frame there may be some more bikes released this fall after Interbike (the largest bike show in NA).

As Vandor mentioned the other consideration would be a bike with 20" wheels, there are several out there including bikes from Easy Motion, Currie and Ejoe. I also agree with Calvin, its generally better to invest a bit more to get better quality and pay close attention to the manufacturers history, if they don't have much be careful, they could go out of business and you're stuck with an bike you can't get parts for. Also look at the warranty and if possible user reviews.

This site is a great resource with some very knowledgeable members, if you spend some time browsing around you can learn a lot and it will help you make a wise investment that fits your needs.

It seems like there are a good amount of dealers in your area, from a brief Google search it looks like a lot of them sell junk though. Do you research and make sure you buy from a reputable company that you feel comfortable with. I don't want to tell you what to do, I just want people to be happy with there purchase and the bike to give last, there are too many crumby bikes out there that have been hurting this industry.

I hope the above info helps.

Well, thanks for those suggestions., Vandon. Yes, the Meridian is a step through and the eProdigy is a low-step. My work commute is about the same, but do u find 20" wheels equally good for longer treks?

I can and do go all over town on 20" wheels but every person is different. I run three miles per morning so I am used to working harder for minimal distance in below-average times. I am asthmatic and I average only ten minute miles. I don't know anything about your commute. I know that mine has more stops and turns than a box of worms. I wouldn't increase my wheel size for anything. If you have a perfect trail with few interruptions, maybe something with 26" wheels is your Cadillac. If you haven't looked at 20" bikes yet, I liked this review that Court did here. He rates this one a 5 out of 5. It isn't my style and it's out of my price range but I am assuming that it receives more attention than the one I chose.

http://electricbikereview.com/izip/e3-twn-exp/

Thank you, Vandon & Chris et al for your suggestions. I have taken the plunge and got what I feel is a beautiful and functional bike that suits my needs. I am now tackling the issues of insurance and locks, with a plethora of opinion, both internet & from the staff at a couple of shops, on the best locks. From the internet it seems that no lock can truly foil the determined & experienced bike thief (with the right tools) for more than a few minutes!!!

Am loving my ebike, tho'. Have officially joined the ranks of the converted!

Back