Daymak EC1Carbon Fiber Electric Bike Video

Ann M.

One of the few electric bikes with a carbon fiber frame, the Daymak EC1 is super lightweight at 39 lbs and comes in 3 models depending upon your ride needs and pocketbook. Cool carbon rims, too! Note that the bike that Court reviews here is a prototype so looks a little rough compared to the finished production model. Also, the prices have changed (gone up!) since he did the review, so be sure to check out his written review for the most recent components on the EC1.

The Daymak EC1 is a carbon fiber electric bike available in three flavors: Standard, Advance and Pro ranging from $1,899 to $3,499. A light weight, value priced carbon fiber electric bike available in three flavors: Standard, Advance and Pro with larger batteries and more carbon parts on the higher models (including drop bars on the pro!). More modest 250 watt planetary geared hub motor drives all three models, paired with the wider 700c wheelset this motor is on the weaker side but also weighs less, it's a "active" setup. Delivers five levels of pedal assist and a trigger throttle with override so you can pass fellow riders or top hills without changing gears (though it does have 21 gears which is nice). Value level components including Shimano Tourney TX derailleur, extra shipping charges for the US, only one frame size ~22 inch, decent one year warranty on frame but only 6 month on the battery and motor.

An inexpensive carbon fiber eBike commuter? Why?

A CF frame is maybe 4 lbs lighter than an indestructible chrome moly frame.

A cheap CF frame is probably not going to hold up on the streets,curbs potholes, curbs stubs and so on... hence their one year warranty on the frame.

I saw a review of carbon rims. And cheap carbon rims from China can be longer lasting than name brand carbon rims. That shows me that the potential is there for a whole bike based on carbon to have great economy and quality. JoePah, a side note about chrome moly, it expands and contracts a lot with temperature change. I had a Mongoose terran from Walmart. In cold weather cleaning it off to store in my apartment after a ride, caused so much expansion and contraction of the chrome moly that the cheap threaded bottom bracket was perpetually getting loose. I returned the bike with no problem giving that as the reason.

There is some commentary about the CF Daymak bike in Court's tour of Daymak with the owner, Aldo. An aside: At one point in the tour, while Court's scanning just one section of one floor of the Daymak facility, he likens it to looking for the Lost Ark after it had been boxed up and socked away in a govt. warehouse. That was like my reaction: 'Good grief, just how many bikes are in this one Toronto distribution center!?'

Just received my Kickstarter EC1 yesterday; well kind of sort of. You'll see what I mean by that. I'll be providing some first impressions in the next few days, after I get some time/miles on the bike.

Well, my promised review isn't going to happen as I have discovered some moderate to severe damage of the carbon frame. Now I get to test the warranty service of Daymak. Oh joy!

Ouch! @O.a.T., sorry to hear that. Did the box appear beat up or like a forklift ran over it? (Yes, I've had a trucking co. deliver an ebike with forklift tracks on it; the bike was toast!) If so, be sure and let Daymak know. Manufacturers sometimes cut corners on the shipping boxes not allowing that the big name shippers chunk these boxes around fairly roughly. Some damage comes from the automated sorters.

Hopefully the warranty issues get worked out quickly; would like to hear your thoughts on the feel of that carbon fiber frame while you're riding.

Nope; the box was in perfect order. There are so many things wrong, big and little, in the bike that I believe it shows a real lack of quality control at the factory as well as a complete lack of inspection by Daymak before acceptance and shipping. I'm also seeing some other pretty incredible problems being reported with the bike by other buyers on the Kickstarter page under the comments sections. As people in the U.S. are just now receiving these, with Europe and elsewhere probably to come later, it does not seem to bode well for the project.

I know ancient thread. Thought I would contribute to the review as I recently purchased the top of the line SE carbon bike.

Purchased it from ebike universe, was showroom model so received a fantastic discount. Initial test was indoors where everything is smooth so it performed very well. The ride home was not too bad although I found that the battery rattles quite a bit and also the 250W motor is actually much less, perhaps closer to 150W. I weigh 240lbs and at home on my smart trainer I can push 250W all day long even on the most resistive setting which simulates a max 7% incline and I'll tell you 250W would normally not have an issue getting me up hills at 12kph at 250w. This bike stops, it just does not have any power to haul up so pedaling is a must almost all the time.
I used the bike to commute about 40KMS round trip, battery did not last longer than 22KMs then just died. The meter displayed 3 bars by the time I reached work and that was mostly downhill. To be fair the battery is rated at 36v 8ah so the range is to be expected.
The worst part of this bike is the saddle, pedals and harsh ride.
I upgraded to a saddle I had laying around with a CF seatpost, and it made a difference for my sit bones so that is a recommended first upgrade.
The pedals are very poor and could be bend from factory as mine were. I upgraded them immediately to clip type.
The harsh ride is probably the worst of all. The weave of CF must be designed to be stiff and the T factor must be higher than 800 because every little bump was immediately translated throughout the arms, legs and sit bones. Perhaps the version with the shock fork is a bit better.
To be honest I normally would not mind a CF bike as I have a few others in my collection for weekend riding up north and training but for commuting I prefer to relax and enjoy the ride. If this bike came with an external computer I may have kept it and upgraded the bars to drop bars but again the weight plus the fact that the motor is not as stated it really isn't one of the better options out there.

An inexpensive carbon fiber eBike commuter? Why?

A CF frame is maybe 4 lbs lighter than an indestructible chrome moly frame.

A cheap CF frame is probably not going to hold up on the streets,curbs potholes, curbs stubs and so on... hence their one year warranty on the frame.
It’s not the durability. CF has come a very long way. Have purchased a few directly from China during my road biking days and they’re still perfect. CF is very stiff depending on the strand TS rating and the layups or directions. For example if the TS is T1000 (very stiff) and most of the layups are UD or uni directional facing towards the length of the fork you will end up with a very stiff fork. This is the case with the EC1. I owned one and it was extremely stiff.
it’s a cool bike with the motor assisting you along but don’t expect to be able to just move you without pedaling.
frankly it’s supposed to compete in a class where it shouldn’t. No one really wants a CF ebike with a flat bar. This bike should have a few changes done to make it more competitive. Sold with drop bars as an option, an integrated battery and lighter weight.
This is all just my opinion.

Back