Cycling Shorts?

I ride with cheap amazon mountain bike shorts. Esp the ones that have more ventilation in the crotch area. But I am not on any type of road bike.

I usually ride with these. The padding is relatively thin (which is fine for me) but they keep my butt dry. A sweaty butt is a sore butt.

Love my Unit padded undies for 2 - 3 hours of trail riding. The fit is nice and loose and they do make a noticeable difference to bottom comfort on a ride.

I don't bother on my 30 minute commute - that's all about the convenience of riding in work clothes without costume changes. I couldn't wear them off the bike for extended periods of time. They feel like wearing diapers, and I'm not quite there yet.

I bought a couple of Decathlon pairs but found their fit across a few sizes horribly uncomfortable.

I removed the padding from my bicycle shorts some time ago. It felt too much like a diaper. I do like the slight elasticity on my favorite shorts, which makes mounting and dismounting a tad easier.

shorts look on people
Shorts don't protect your knees when you fall off a bicycle. Don't fall off a bicycle? You must be enormously talented. I wear long pants, cotton+polyester and the last 5 spills haven't scarred the knees. Since I wear long sleeves & gloves, elbows and hands neither.
Trash collectors buying lunch at the Otisco store last Friday were wondering how I withstood the sun @ 96 deg F. My shirt wasn't even damp. Bikes create a wind, especially electric ones.

Last edited:
Shorts don't protect your knees when you fall off a bicycle. Don't fall off a bicycle? You must be enormously talented. I wear long pants, cotton+polyester and the last 5 spills haven't scarred that part of me.
pants dont protect you when you land on the end of the handlebars either. plus if its hot then pants are too much.

Shorts don't protect your knees when you fall off a bicycle. Don't fall off a bicycle? You must be enormously talented. I wear long pants, cotton+polyester and the last 5 spills haven't scarred the knees. Since I wear long sleeves & gloves, elbows and hands neither.
IMG_9729.jpeg

That was the sort of in joke back when I was riding with professional racers. The public generally thinks riders shave their legs to be more aerodynamic. Reality was you shaved your legs because after you hit the ground and gave yourself a nice case of road rash, the medic would have to shave the open wound to get you bandaged up. Not the sort of thing you risk experiencing twice.

I wear bike shorts and they make loose fitting ones for those of us that wouldn’t look good in the tight fitting ones.

After using a Fox racing baggy short for several years, I tried Endura's Humvee 3/4 short, aka "Knickers". I found the Endura quality, albeit pricy, is also money well spent cause it will last you for years. I'd wear mine all the way into early winter. Endura has a unique "click in place" underwear synthetic chamois liner that is specific to that brand short. It ensures the liner remains right where it belongs, even after getting all hot and sweaty down below.

But in regards to the liner, for the past two years, I've taken to removing the Endura liner and going with my synthetic Jockey men's briefs, which are and feel lighter, almost a "commando feel", if you will.

Another vote for the 3/4 knickers pants is that the longer pant leg of these shorts will keep the sun off the skin of your upper thighs, very important in the summer when that sun wants to burn your skin; while in winter, it provide a nice measure of warmth.

Every few years, they change the color of these shorts, to keep it fresh, I guess. My first Humbee 3/4 pants, going on 10 years now, are a solid olive color while my second pair is a camo gray color. And the high price of a quality short like this is that it will last you for years and years. Mine are both in great shape, no material chaffing through, no split seams.

Link: https://us.endurasport.com/hummvee-3-4-short-black/14267363.html

I have to have bibs I have no hips and if I wear shorts with padded underwear it always feels like they are falling off.

i really like the rapha "core cargo" bike shorts. i don't like bibs, have never worn them, and don't like tight-fitting cycling specific jerseys with the pockets in the back, so the cargo shorts are perfect. they have two mesh pockets. they're light, dry off fast, have pads, and i've experienced zero chafing even on 6+ hour rides with a relatively unpadded bike seat.

super comfortable, totally black for modesty.

i really like the rapha "core cargo" bike shorts. i don't like bibs, have never worn them, and don't like tight-fitting cycling specific jerseys with the pockets in the back, so the cargo shorts are perfect. they have two mesh pockets. they're light, dry off fast, have pads, and i've experienced zero chafing even on 6+ hour rides with a relatively unpadded bike seat.

super comfortable, totally black for modesty.

After reading all these responses I feel like I probably don’t ‘need’ the cycling shorts/underwear, but I’m also curious to try a pair.

My dilemma is, I’ll probably buy and try a pair and then come to the conclusion I’ll need 7 pair because once the weather breaks I see myself riding everyday and probably more than once a day!🤔🥹 and those puppies aren’t cheap!

If you don't ride 7 days a week; likely you won't need 7 pairs of shorts.
But once you start to log more miles on your ride, accumulate more saddle time, you will discover that the padded bike shorts do help, if not during the ride, but the ride on the day after.
My comfort is important to me on the ride. If I'm not comfortable on the bike, less likely that I would enjoy riding.
I'd rather spend more money on bike shorts & gloves than most other accessories for the bike.

If you don't ride 7 days a week; likely you won't need 7 pairs of shorts.
But once you start to log more miles on your ride, accumulate more saddle time, you will discover that the padded bike shorts do help, if not during the ride, but the ride on the day after.
My comfort is important to me on the ride. If I'm not comfortable on the bike, less likely that I would enjoy riding.
I'd rather spend more money on bike shorts & gloves than most other accessories for the bike.
You can usually get away with a couple days of you don’t sweat like a pig.

Back