Cute step through bike for 6’3” woman

Mikaylablossoms

Hi, I’ve done a good amount of research looking for the perfect bike for me, but all the cute “feminine” step through bikes are a bit small. It’s so frustrating. Every time I find a bike that’s just what I’m looking for it ends up being too small. Story of my life. I just want a cute bike to carry groceries and be admired when I’m riding ?

Models that I’ve really liked with nice frames and colors...

Gazelle nl c8
Elly ride 400/500
Moustache lundi 26.1/26.2
Benno ejoy

Any of these bikes, if they just came in like a 58-60cm frame would be perfect. But most of them have a recommended rider height up to like 5’10 or 6’0

Can you help me find a cute upright city bike with a step through frame and some cute colors?

Hi, I’ve done a good amount of research looking for the perfect bike for me, but all the cute “feminine” step through bikes are a bit small. It’s so frustrating. Every time I find a bike that’s just what I’m looking for it ends up being too small. Story of my life. I just want a cute bike to carry groceries and be admired when I’m riding ?

Gazelle nl c8
Elly ride 400/500
Benno ejoy

Any of these bikes, if they just came in like a 58-60cm frame would be perfect. But most of them have a recommended rider height up to like 5’10 or 6’0

Can you help me find a cute upright city bike with a step through frame and some cute colors?
You can window shop here https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/step-thru.15620/

The xtracycle swoop is a step through long tail for cargo. I recommend longtail because I've had the front wheel whip sideways and throw me on my chin 4 times on bumps & gravel with a MTB and huffy cruiser with rear basket. The basket + groceries lightens the front wheel and makes the steering unstable. I own a bodaboda stretch which has not thrown me yet but the step through is too small for you. Stretch frame puts the rider weight more on the front wheel.
I can't see dimensions but xtracycle does have a sizer function. Since I don't know your leg length I'll let you fill it out. They won't show colors without a chat but the base model is turquoise and I think they had pink last year on closeout on the step over model. https://www.xtracycle.com/the-swoop/

Dutch people can be really tall so their bikes often are sized accordingly (eg the Azor Pastoorfiets 73cm frame size for 6’9” people, there’s an impressive photo of it on the Urkai Facebook page) I would recommend a Workcycles FR8 which is a heavy duty step through that fits riders up to 200cm Source

JC Lind in Chicago can supply them in black, pink, or turquoise, or you can order direct from Workcycles who will ship from the Netherlands to the US. A nice customization option is to get the frame in one color and the racks or rims and fenders in another.

If you want to test ride one and don’t live near Chicago they’re uncommon in the US but popular with parents who want to carry children on the bike so if your city has a family cycling group you could ask around, there are a few here in the DC area for example you could ask on the DC Family Biking Facebook group.

The bike is well suited for converting to an ebike with a mid-drive kit motor and you can mount the battery behind the seatpost, FR8’s have a 68mm BSA (British) thread bottom bracket. You might consider a TSDZ2 motor if you want a torque sensor or a BBS02 motor if you’re fine with a cadence sensor and throttle. You would have to remove the chaincase and replace it with an extra long Hebie Chainglider front part matching your chainring tooth count and a Nexus or Nuvinci rear part depending on your IGH. The official Workcycles electric conversion uses a Pendix mid-drive that lets you keep the Workcycles chaincase but they can’t export it to the US

Last edited:
Not sure I'd agree with that - my wife is 6'2 , I don't think giant understands the proportions of a tall woman ( extra long legs).
Fair enough. I only went off the website stats, and have no real world/empirical data. So your experience trumps!

Not sure I'd agree with that - my wife is 6'2 , I don't think giant understands the proportions of a tall woman ( extra long legs).
My guy is 6'3" and he loves the large bike frame on the Lafree. What Giant bike did your wife test drive?

My guy is 6'3" and he loves the large bike frame on the Lafree. What Giant bike did your wife test drive?

She tried the lafree and her knees were cramped up against bars ( generally speaking women have longer legs than men of comparable height, and hers are even longer than would be expected )

It's possible that the seat was set too low because she only had a quick " I don't like this " attempt .

At the moment she is riding an xxl hardtail merida mountain bike that we've tried to modify with bar / stem changes etc - she's comfortable but really wants something more traditional looking / comfortable so I'll be watching this thread - the dutch bikes sound interesting.

My wife and I both have Pedego Platinum Interceptor step thru ebikes. She is 5' 2" and I'm 6' 2".

I gave up looking for suitably equipped step thru bikes that would fit both of us properly and decided to do some simple modifications. We chose the Pedego because it had all the other features we wanted including hydraulic disc brakes, 10 speeds, rear rack for groceries, 400 lb weight rating (we carry a lot of gear), front suspension and a few others. We like the mag wheel option for the extra weight capacity but the standard spoke wheel might work for you.

Factory stock bike which fits my 5' 2" wife perfectly:
P1060849.JPG

Bike with 6" stem riser and extra long 400mm suspension seat post added for my taller stature.
P1060857a.jpg

Comparison
P1060851a.jpg

Since the cables on the Pedego were already long enough, adding the stem riser and seat post took about 15 minutes with very little mechanical ability involved.

The Platinum Interceptor only comes in silver but the standard Interceptor is available in 10 different colors. The same modifications are easily done on this model as well.
black-step-thru-interceptor.jpg
https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/interceptor/

Last edited:
2020 Riese & Müller Swing 3 Vario …
2020_rm_swing_04_500.jpg

2020_rm_swing_01_500.jpg

2020_rm_swing_02_500.jpg

2020_rm_swing_03_500.jpg

Mikayla …
This might be worth checking. It's available in a large size which might suit. Expect a high price but quality to match.

Photos are of the 2020 model; colour is Salvia Matt.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:

Gazelle nl c8
Elly ride 400/500
Benno ejoy

Frames built for the anatomical differences between women and men can appear subtle, but they can be significant when it comes to really tall or really short riders. Many of the bigger companies have designed women specific frames. I'm not referring to low step for women and high step for men, those days are gone.

For instance Giant had, (or has?) their Liv line of bikes for women. I met an ebike rider with one recently. Differences are subtle, but they're real.

For harder to fit people it might be wise to visit a bike fitter to understand what will work. Googling "bike fitter in central Pennsylvania" turns up several. Not too expensive and well worth the money to assure proper fit. A bike that isn't ridden due to poor fit is the most expensive bike in the world.

Good luck.

For instance Giant had, (or has?) their Liv line of bikes for women. I met an ebike rider with one recently. Differences are subtle, but they're real.

Good luck.

Unfortunately giant / liv seems to think women are shorter than men, or at least tall women should accept mens bikes. Most liv models stop at size m or l , giant produces xl. Even worse, the Australian importer stops at size m ( so both my 12 and 14 yo daughters are now too tall for liv! ) . To be fair, I think the frames are very similar - liv just specs different components and their superseded models seem to sell at huge discounts.

Unfortunately giant / liv seems to think women are shorter than men, or at least tall women should accept mens bikes. Most liv models stop at size m or l , giant produces xl. Even worse, the Australian importer stops at size m ( so both my 12 and 14 yo daughters are now too tall for liv! ) . To be fair, I think the frames are very similar - liv just specs different components and their superseded models seem to sell at huge discounts.
The way it was explained to me by a rider, was the bottom bracket was lower and seat tube angle different giving proper leg extension and power over standard frames. In addition the top tube was shorter, for a shorter torso. It was a women rider on a MTB. Looked different to me, once pointed out, but I didn't ride it.

A good bike fitter would help figure out best fit. There's a saddle for every aspect;)

My one e-bike friend is 6'1" tall and female. She found a good fit with a Cannondale Neo Quick. She mentioned that her leg length sort of took the bike shop guys by surprise, when she was trying to
find a bike that would work for her.

My one e-bike friend is 6'1" tall and female. She found a good fit with a Cannondale Neo Quick. She mentioned that her leg length sort of took the bike shop guys by surprise, when she was trying to
find a bike that would work for her.

I test rode a Cannondale Quick Neo 2019 a few weeks ago. Wonderful bike, agile, responsive, and only 40 lbs. The small frame was a smidgen too large for me or I would have bought it. And it’s real pretty too.
Your friend has a great ebike.

Back