Custom Wood Fenders

Alaskan

I found a wonderful source of custom made solid wood fenders for my Riese & Muller Homage. The SKS plastic fenders that came on the bike rattled and needed constant fiddling. The were definitely the Achilles heel of the bike. Cody is located in Bend Oregon. He made my set of fenders in Walnut with Wenge side stripes. There is a large range of choices in both style and many woods to choose from. At $200 I think they are quite reasonably priced.

Click here to learn more: Woody's Fenders

Cody does really nice work. They are a perfect fit, much stiffer than the plastic/polycarbonite and weigh less than a pound. They work better than the stock ones and give an already nice bike a bit of unique personality.

The mounting hardware is all brass and stainless. Cody wastes no time in getting the fenders made and delivered. They arrived at my door less than a week after I ordered and paid for them.

woodfenders.jpg

Last edited:
I found a wonderful source of custom made solid wood fenders for my Riese & Muller Homage. The SKS plastic fenders that came on the bike rattled and needed constant fiddling. The were definitely the Achilles heel of the bike. Cody is located in Bend Oregon. He made my set of fenders in Walnut with Wenge side stripes. There is a large range of choices in both style and many woods to choose from. At $200 I think they are quite reasonably priced.

Cody does really nice work. They are a perfect fit, much stiffer than the plastic/polycarbonite and weigh less than a pound. They work better than the stock ones and give an already nice bike a bit of unique personality.

The mounting hardware is all brass and stainless. Cody wastes no time in getting the fenders made and delivered. They arrived at my door less than a week after I ordered and paid for them.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

WOW ! Those are absolutely gorgeous fenders ! Please post a picture after you install yours. Thanks.

John from CT

WOW ! Those are absolutely gorgeous fenders ! Please post a picture after you install yours. Thanks.

John from CT
That is my bike, John. Ordered last Tuesday, arrived & installed today. I'm recovering from a spill on gravel and the air quality here sucks, so today was a maintenance day.

A LBS has them. Nice but not wide enough. Mine are 63mm.

Velo has one set in 63 mm. They're good for up to 55mm tires (though I'm wondering if you could make 60 work...) What size tires are you running?

Alaskan, the pic of your bike not showing up. Went to Woody's site, beautiful fenders!
And an interesting choice of wood, rather then the obvious choices of metal or plastics.
I am curious how he builds these, and able to sell at that price!

Paul,

On the compound curve style fenders, Cody steams and bends the wood to the correct tire arc. Then he has a tool set up to gouge out the underside.

Here is an edited photo that hopefully will show up. I will take a close up shot to provide some detail.

woodfenders.jpg
woodfenders.jpg

Last edited:
That is my bike, John. Ordered last Tuesday, arrived & installed today. I'm recovering from a spill on gravel and the air quality here sucks, so today was a maintenance day.

Oh Man, A spill on gravel....I cringe just thinking of that. I hope you're mending and things are not too painful. Very nice looking fenders.
Share with us if you would, the pros and if there are any cons to the longer pedals that you use. I use the standard old vanilla pedals with
toe clips which I really appreciate. Thanks.

John from CT

John, I definitely chewed up my left elbow and forearm and jammed up my left shoulder. We have so much smoke in the air around here that there is an unhealthy air warning up so I am not riding for a few days, recovering from the spill and avoiding unhealthy riding conditions. It happened pulling into my in-laws gravel driveway after a 50 mile ecstatic ride, celebrating the life and soul of Aretha Franklin. I was listening to her tunes while riding, using the Rohloff to dial in just the right resistance so I could pedal in rhythm with the music. I was literally dancing down the road and trail on my bike, singing and crying in perfect harmony with Aretha. If I could do it again but had to endure the crash at the end, I would be all in.

As to the pedals, They are awsome

They are much longer front to back so you position your foot with the axle at your arch, ball and heel are supported so you can use regular shoes not stiff ones. I wear Salomon trail runner shoes, goretex in the winter and lighter ones in summer. The pins my feet from shifting around on the pedal perfectly, regardless of bumps in the road.

It does take a bit of time to get my feet positioned just right on the pedal but once there they are planted. They come with regular pins and a complete set of longer one which is what I use.

They are ergonomically designed to produce a more powerful downstroke resulting in better speed and lasting comfort. Judging from cadence, heart-rate and wattage, I feel like I am getting the same speed with slightly less effort or more speed with the same output. Less stress on the ankle and more power from having your heel on the pedal and engaging the glutes and hamstrings more effectively.

Here is their web site https://pedalinginnovations.com/
Here is a review http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/pedaling-innovations-catalyst-review/

The down side is that grippy pins can really cut up your shins if you are not careful. They take some getting used to in order to avoid bloodshed.

Electric Bike Company just added them to there accessories also, $399 is a little pricey for me but very nice. Also have $600 leather saddle bags to complete the look. Not sure how custom these are or if they could be used elsewhere or not, just sharing. Maybe less expensive if ordered with bike. /

Why buy from a reseller if you can get them direct from the maker?

You can choose whatever wood and pattern you like, get a chain guard or not and save quite a bit of money in the process.

Those look like they could be Cody's work but he charges $200 for custom compound curve fenders. Flat fenders are less. $100 for a chain guard and $175 for a matching rack. And you can buy one or the other, both or all three in the wood and finish of your choosing.

1487703796264.JPG

those are some sweet fenders and wood accessories. Thanks for the link. Going to check out customizing one of my stromers I call "sunday" because it only gets taken out on sunny sunday rides (not really).

Back