Cross Current

I got my demo unit also. This is my first time experiencing 48V and torque sensing. For someone like me who likes to pedal and still likes riding regular bikes this is perfect. Hopefully it will last and stuff won't break.

One thing I noticed is that my battery pack says 8.7Ah and not the advertised 7.8Ah. Is this an error or something just exclusive with demo units? 417.6Wh is pretty respectable and it would be the equivalent to a 36V 11.6Ah battery. I rode for about 5 miles in sport mode and the battery was still full.

Wow! My lovely lady and I test road the Cross Current and the ODK this weekend. We both preferred the look and feel of the cross current as it was more bike like. I was super pleased with the build quality and look of the bike specifically at the great price point. The performance was great. We will both get one in March, I can't wait!

I didn't ride long enough to have any opinion on battery life. I will upgrade batteries as soon as the option exist regardless because the bike is so damn fun I don't want to have to cut the fun short plus riding fast is fun and I imagine reduces range considerably.

My intention is to commute with the bike has anyone put a rack an panniers on the bike yet? I'd love to see a picture of the bike outfitted with any accessories if anyone has a set up like that.

Was thinking of getting an Ohm with the 28mph Bionx D500 then saw this in a comparison post & now my interest is piqued. I have an older model Ohm Bionx bike with a 37V 9.6Ah / 355 Wh Battery & on a good no headwind day using lvl 2 assist I can just about do my daily 33 mile roundtrip commute in around 65 minutes each way (would be a bit shorter save for traffic lights/stop signs). On a bad day with headwind or my studded tires I pretty much empty the battery one way. How would the Cross Current with the medium battery compare? Also how would it handle temperatures below freezing to subzero and would it be seal enough to withstand road salt & slushy conditions? I commute year round in the Chicago area & the Bionx system has held up well for nearly 8000 miles in the rollercoaster weather here. I would love to be able to average 22-24mph over the current 18mph on the Bionx though.

@youth what differences do you now see in battery performance, between those winter & summer weather extremes? And which Lithium chemistry does your current bike's battery have?

@youth what differences do you now see in battery performance, between those winter & summer weather extremes? And which Lithium chemistry does your current bike's battery have?

I believe it's Li-MN. Hard to accurately say affect on performance, but perhaps 10-20% difference. Some of that is more from having to wear heavier clothing & switching to studded tires though. It's mostly commuting & the bike is stored indoors heated at both points. It also has been charged almost 500 times in these 1.5 years that I'm surprised how well it's holding up which makes me a bit weary of going with another system.

I would love to have some real world data on the battery range. I pedal a Prodecotech Phantom X2 with a 36v 12ah 500w DD to a 21-22mph avg over a 25 mi round trip. In the winter the battery has gotten me home for the most part with the exception of a few times getting exhausted in the last mile. Love the look of the CC and would really enjoy a s-pedelec with a geared hub that doesn't fight me so much. Should I even consider the small battery or wait for the 10.4 ah? I'm 210lbs but I pedal hard. Never used a watt meter though.

@Tora Harris and the group, just an observation or perhaps suggestion, which relates to the CrossCurrent and any of these other product launches from smaller companies: Where is the video? I don't mean something with high production values, but rather something very simple such as Court shoots all the time. Back in September, there was this short (hard to view and certainly hard to shoot, one-handed!) video meant to illustrate battery performance...and of course we have the Juiced website. (Lots of time spent on creating the CC piece of the Juiced website when compared to a 5 min video). But golly, we know a video scratches a somewhat different itch for many folks and, if a CrossCurrent is ready to be shown at Interlake, I would think it would be ready to stand in front of a recorder. Court managed to shoot a very short video of the Juiced product line at their booth but the poor CC was left on the sidelines with only a few comments made from a distance. Lost opportunity, it would seem to my marketing mind, and especially so with products like the CC that offers an enticing combo of both sizzle and steak.

A video introduction would seen a natural and valuable component of any product rollout.

The 10.4 Ah equipped CrossCurrents are now open for pre-ordering and will be available at launch in April. It is a $250 upgrade over the $1,499 standard 7.8 Ah configuration.
http://shop.juicedbikes.com
Tora, that 10.4 AH battery brings huge value to this bike and brings it into the mainstream of this communities desires and that's range. That makes this a true commuter for a small premium. This bike will be making big waves in the industry!

There are a few things going on here. First off we are running flat out preparing for the production of the CrossCurrent as well as developing other new products.

You often hear about the development "race" but its literally a race. Engineers are jogging between the factory, lab, offices, meetings, suppliers... racking up air miles and speeding tickets. More or less every day goes way into overtime and it's the same story for other manufacturers.

Another funny thing that happens with the video, they last forever and provide no time reference. The video you referenced is over a year old and the product is much more evolved since then. We don't have a marketing department like other bigger companies and all off our resources are spent to LAUNCH ON TIME.

We often see people refer to super old videos and performance data which is not that relevant to the latest product.

There are lots of component updates and changes as the market is very dynamic. The technology is advancing very quickly and even the laws have all changed.

Some things about the product are changeable and some are locked-in as we tool up to hit the "copy" button on the CrossCurrent.

However, the concept is unchanged: a sporty, light, 700c, torque-sensing, 28 mph s-pedelec, with proper breaking performance, and expandable battery range - starting around $1,500... available online AND in a real bike shop.

That's challenging. We believe only Juiced Bikes, pushing to the limit, can actually pull it off.

We will produce more videos closer to launch with very high level of detail. And what you see is what you get.

There are a few things going on here. First off we are running flat out preparing for the production of the CrossCurrent as well as developing other new products.

You often hear about the development "race" but its literally a race. Engineers are jogging between the factory, lab, offices, meetings, suppliers... racking up air miles and speeding tickets. More or less every day goes way into overtime and it's the same story for other manufacturers.

Another funny thing that happens with the video, they last forever and provide no time reference. The video you referenced is over a year old and the product is much more evolved since then. We don't have a marketing department like other bigger companies and all off our resources are spent to LAUNCH ON TIME.

We often see people refer to super old videos and performance data which is not that relevant to the latest product.

There are lots of component updates and changes as the market is very dynamic. The technology is advancing very quickly and even the laws have all changed.

Some things about the product are changeable and some are locked-in as we tool up to hit the "copy" button on the CrossCurrent.

However, the concept is unchanged: a sporty, light, 700c, torque-sensing, 28 mph s-pedelec, with proper breaking performance, and expandable battery range - starting around $1,500... available online AND in a real bike shop.

That's challenging. We believe only Juiced Bikes, pushing to the limit, can actually pull it off.

We will produce more videos closer to launch with very high level of detail. And what you see is what you get.

Tora, you're my favorite! :)
Can you ship some of these bikes to India from your Asian factory?
last year, I took Easy Motion NEO Jumper to India and it has become a sensation. Few of my friends really want to purchase a "quality" and "affordable" E-bike and I think CC is a terrific candidate.

@Tora Harris you just did an excellent job of script writing a significant portion of what would have been an impactful video intro for the CC. It could have been 5 mins max, you could have highlighted the overarching product goal, battery, BMS management and performance goals, used the development tempo and tech changes to illustrate how you are working hard to maintain the cutting edge, it could have been tantalizing material for we addicts everywhere, and it would have produced a video URL that would have been widely shared. No criticism intended, really. And yes...the current pace illustrates that now is not the time to shoot a video. Maybe back during Interbike, when you were showing the prototype? You aren't failing to do what others have done. My point is that it's just a lost opportunity, all around.

But no matter. As Ravi's avatar suggests, just carry on. We're on your side.

Tora, you're my favorite! :)
Can you ship some of these bikes to India from your Asian factory?
last year, I took Easy Motion NEO Jumper to India and it has become a sensation. Few of my friends really want to purchase a "quality" and "affordable" E-bike and I think CC is a terrific candidate.

Yes, very possible, just email me.

@Tora Harris you just did an excellent job of script writing a significant portion of what would have been an impactful video intro for the CC. It could have been 5 mins max, you could have highlighted the overarching product goal, battery, BMS management and performance goals, used the development tempo and tech changes to illustrate how you are working hard to maintain the cutting edge, it could have been tantalizing material for we addicts everywhere, and it would have produced a video URL that would have been widely shared. No criticism intended, really. And yes...the current pace illustrates that now is not the time to shoot a video. Maybe back during Interbike, when you were showing the prototype? You aren't failing to do what others have done. My point is that it's just a lost opportunity, all around.

But no matter. As Ravi's avatar suggests, just carry on. We're on your side.

We kinda have such videos we share internally. This one we can now show as it is nearly a year old iPhone videos and basically raw footage of U500s getting assembled and some shots of the CC being worked on.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Now the pace is even higher and the e-bike market range is much wider. The only way to describe it is a bomb going off in reverse. Instead of things blowing up, things are getting designed and assembled just as fast. It will stay like this for a few more seasons then settle down.

If you want to deep dive into e-bikes you will have to watch the "E-bike Family" documentary I shot and edited back in the "old" days of e-bikes. Lots has changed since then.

We will work to post more consumer facing videos in the future.

As this year proceeds I can see this bike being tweaked and refined even further, it appears ready for prime time as it is, but I'm sure there will be further refinements. I purchased my first ebike late summer 2014 and my second ebike fall of 2015, I still have and ride both. If this bike turns out to be a long range commuter/touring bike (20ah+) I think I know what my late 2016 bike might be, a Cross Current.

Tora, keep up the good work! And thanks for all the information and updates, your presence here is very welcome.

I am so excited to have the larger battery available at launch. I immediately knew I wanted the larger battery to make the cross current a more realistic commuter bike for my needs.

@Tora Harris is this forum the most up to date source of information? I find information to be available here prior to the juiced riders fb page.

I'd still love to see this bike with fenders or a pannier if any forum users have that kind of set up on the cross current.

I found the E-bike Family 2-part documentary which @Tora Harris mentioned above to be fascinating. Each of us who haven't yet been to China have our own movie playing in our head about what it's like there. Tora's video clips, knitted together, are part bike factory visits, part countryside rides and airport/bus/train station trips, and much more. Well worth some viewing time. Thank you, Tora.

Cosign. Very insightful video. If I had to summarize for someone not interested I would say it takes tons of legwork to ensure quality assurance. It's got to be a labor of love and it shows when riding the cross current.

Back