Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO vs SL Comp Carbon?

NBS

I am trying to decide between these bikes and hoping someone here can give me some input. I've ridden the Comp Carbon and it's a sweet ride indeed. At least 85% of my riding will be on pavement, and I mostly want an e-bike for longer rides, climbing and faster group rides, but I like the idea of having the flexibility to go confidently and comfortably off road as well. I know I can put wider tires on the Carbon Comp, but there are a few features of the EVO that sound like they would make it more gravel friendly, although I question whether I would pay a price for them on pavement performance. For instance, would the EVO feel the same standing up on a climb? I do know the EVO is a little heavier so I assume I would have to work a little harder or use more assist on the climbs (we have a lot of big climbs where I live in Utah) and presumably that in turn would affect the range of the battery. Has anyone ridden both that can comment? I can't find the EVO in my size at any LBS in my area so I can't try it myself. Thanks for your thoughts.

I've ridden the evo in a short 15m test ride. The location of the dropper post switch was annoying and I've not heard much love for the feature so far from others on this site. I liked the flared bars but not enough to make it a deal clincher. Otherwise the bikes are identical and a tire swap is all that is needed to turn one into the other (which most shops will let you do when you build the bike).

Reactions: NBS
There are only 3 things different between the Comp Carbon EVO and the Comp Carbon; the dropper seat post, the flared bars, and the wider tires. Everything else is exactly the same (well, except for the colors). I test rode both models and they ride very much the same. The dealer told me the wider tires and the dropper post probably made the EVO one pound heavier than the straight Comp Carbon. As the bastard mentioned, the dropper switch is mounted below the left brake unit which makes it awkward to use. The dropper only goes down 50mm so it's not near the drop that you might find on a mtn bike. As I've mentioned before, I purchased the Comp Carbon and the dealer swapped the tires to the EVO model's 38s. For the $20 price difference he also swapped the rigid carbon seat post for the S-Works carbon post which has a bit of damping built in. I also recommend getting the TCD display as it tracks lots of different info.

I didn't want an EVO model, though it's moot because they don't offer it in aluminum, at least not yet. I figure the tires are something I can easily change, I didn't want the dropper and I didn't want flared bars. Most of my riding is going to be on pavement so I wanted what was best suited for that.

Trek Domane + HP ? 1kw battery and is removable. Much faster and powerfull then the Creo. Bosch gen. 4

I am trying to decide between these bikes and hoping someone here can give me some input. I've ridden the Comp Carbon and it's a sweet ride indeed. At least 85% of my riding will be on pavement, and I mostly want an e-bike for longer rides, climbing and faster group rides, but I like the idea of having the flexibility to go confidently and comfortably off road as well. I know I can put wider tires on the Carbon Comp, but there are a few features of the EVO that sound like they would make it more gravel friendly, although I question whether I would pay a price for them on pavement performance. For instance, would the EVO feel the same standing up on a climb? I do know the EVO is a little heavier so I assume I would have to work a little harder or use more assist on the climbs (we have a lot of big climbs where I live in Utah) and presumably that in turn would affect the range of the battery. Has anyone ridden both that can comment? I can't find the EVO in my size at any LBS in my area so I can't try it myself. Thanks for your thoughts.
I rode the S-Works Creo SL which was lent to me by my LBS and I now own the Comp Evo. While I ride mostly on cemented and asphalted roads, I've done some rocky and gravel roads and the Comp Evo easily deals with them just like my Niner RLT 9 Steel. I find the dropper seat useful when going down a 15% grade path. I'm not bothered by the dropper post switch position which I can vary anytime I want. Flared vs. non-flared drop bars, not a big deal.

I'm taking a carbon comp for a test ride tomorrow. The LBS has an aluminum model, but it's a large, so I'll ride the carbon comp, which is my size (medium).
I suspect I'll end up buying the aluminum and have the shop install wider (38mm) tires.

Deacon, please make sure you post a thread about your impressions and what you end up doing. I'm very interested in what you think and also how it compares to your Defy.

Will do. Looks like if I decide to buy the aluminum model I won't be able to get it until June. The carbon EVO I could get next week. :confused:
Personally, I don't think the EVO is worth the extra $2200.

The E5 is not available in Southeast Asia so I didn't have a choice. I would have spent the $1,500 change to upgrade to Di2 ;)

I didn’t ride the Creo in aluminum, but I did rode an Orbea aluminum frame. One trip down a bumpy canyon road at speed was all it took to convince me to get a carbon frame. On the other hand, I have Di2 on my regular road bike but was perfectly happy with Ultegra on the Creo Comp. There is only one chainring after all. I decided to get the Comp Carbon (not EVO) and change the tires to either 32’s or the 38’s that come with the EVO. Hoping LBS will let me try EVO wheels on this bike so I can see the difference in ride quality before I decide. Will report back!

Yes, when I say $2000 I'm talking Canadian dollars.
I also have Di2 on one of my road bikes and I'd love to buy a Creo with Di2, but that bike is $10,000 Can, which is way more than I want to spend.
NBS, I'm a bit worried about the Creo's ride with an aluminum frame, but Captain slow, who just bought an aluminum Creo, hasn't complained about the ride. It's unfortunate that I can only ride the carbon model.
If I buy the bike I plan on switching to 38mm tires, so that should soften the ride somewhat.

fwiw - My Cervelo probably has a smoother ride than the Creo, but I don't think it's a massive difference and I think the tires make up for it. I run 25s on my Cervelo and the Creo came with 28s. You could run 32s and I would think the extra volume of air would make more of a difference than the frame material. The extra weight of the tire and maybe lower pressures might slow you down slightly, but the motor would more than make up for that.

I have 25mm tire on my Defy and 32mm tires on my Diverge. The difference in how the bikes ride over rough pavement isn't huge, but it is noticeable. What's also noticeable is how much faster my Defy is. I'm amazed at how much of a difference 7mm wider tires and 3 pounds of weight make when it comes to the hills.

I was going to test ride a carbon Creo today, but it looks like it's going to rain, so I rescheduled for tomorrow. When I phoned to let the bike shop know they told me, after checking their stock, that they also had a medium Creo aluminum and that they would build that up for me, so I could compare the carbon and aluminum.
I'll post my thoughts on the two bikes after the ride.

I was going to test ride a carbon Creo today, but it looks like it's going to rain, so I rescheduled for tomorrow. When I phoned to let the bike shop know they told me, after checking their stock, that they also had a medium Creo aluminum and that they would build that up for me, so I could compare the carbon and aluminum.
I'll post my thoughts on the two bikes after the ride.
Anxiously awaiting your thoughts!

Back