Creo SL 1x Chainguide?

wrshultz

Considering switching from a 2018 Giant Road-e to a Creo SL (not sure which model yet...). I've never had a road/gravel bike with a 1x chainring and wide range gearing in the rear cassette. Any need for a front chainguide on the 46T 1x chainring? A lot of my rides are on very rough paved/gravel roads. I've never had a problem with chain drop on the Giant's 34-50 front, paired with the 11-32 cassette. If I wanted to fit a chainguide, did Specialized design any mounting points in the area behind the chainring? I know the upper rear motor mount bolt is in this area, but wondered if there were any additional mounting points. The Levo SL has a chainguide for it's smaller 1x 30T front ring, but I can't tell from photos how it is mounted. I would check out one of the Creo's first hand, but my local dealer has no plans on bringing one in for stock. My nearest stocking dealer is over 180 miles away. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Chain drop on the creo. Does not seem to be possible to install a chain guide.
however, from photos this seems to be fixed in the 2021 model. It appears that there is a chain guide mount on the new model. Have not seen one in person only stock photos so cannot confirm this.

Ok, I've had a couple of problems with my Creo but chain drop is something I've never experienced. (knock on wood)

Ok, I've had a couple of problems with my Creo but chain drop is something I've never experienced. (knock on wood)
Me neither, but I've experienced it on my Giant eBike and it's the worst! Did get a chain guide from Amazon for the Giant, and in the Giant forum one innovative fellow used the motor mount and shaped his own DIY chain guide attached via the bolts for the motor mount. So, if that ever becomes a problem on the Creo, I suppose the bolt behind the crank can potentially be used for that purpose.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Chain drop on the creo. Does not seem to be possible to install a chain guide.
however, from photos this seems to be fixed in the 2021 model. It appears that there is a chain guide mount on the new model. Have not seen one in person only stock photos so cannot confirm this.
I have heard they are selling the chain guide that comes stock on the 2021 models as a part but I do not have the number. Here is a pic from another post

Attachments

• B29AC4FC-F2B1-4679-B21F-E55FCFF00395.jpeg
    B29AC4FC-F2B1-4679-B21F-E55FCFF00395.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 819
I haven't experienced any drop myself but that might be due to the fact that I have the road going version and not the EVO. Gravel riders likely travel over rougher terrain which might explain more frequent incidents but I can’t say definitively if that applies to all EVO owners.

I haven't experienced any drop myself but that might be due to the fact that I have the road going version and not the EVO. Gravel riders likely travel over rougher terrain which might explain more frequent incidents but I can’t say definitively if that applies to all EVO owners.
Not me, never. Knock on wood :D

Hello everyone! I'm a new member and this is my first post here.

I want to drop right in to this topic. I have the Creo SL Comp Carbon Evo. I ride it like a mountain bike. I enjoy the fast/rough downhill sections more than anything else. My bike is 5 months old but I've put in just over 1553 miles, according to the Strava app. I've only changed tires (F:WTB Venture 700x50, R: WTB Riddler 700x45) and installed the Cushcore gravel ver. I love it!

That been said, I drop my chain pretty often and I've been looking for the solutions on the internet about this topic for a few months now and now I'm here. My case is as same as others, the chain drops inside of the front ring and so far it doesn't matter what part of the cassett where the chain is running.

I reached out to some people on Instagram and I got one official respond and one idea.

-The first one is from Specialized NZ and they said, "There is a chain guide being produced for the Creo SL..It is not availavle yet but This is the SKU I have for the parts. S211200002 and contact your LBS for it. (It looks like a lever/ plate witha lip. I think thats what you see on the 2021 models.)
-The second is to use the chain guide from the Turbo SL mountain bike and use 3D printer to fabricate the bracket and bolt on to one of the motor mount just like the Tubo SL.

I'd rather have a propeer chain guide like the ones for the MTB to be honest.. and my LBS told me the chain guide is back ordered. I'd like to fix this problem sooner than now so IO moght just buy the Turbo SL chain guide and will seee..

What do you guys think and thanks for reading my post!

Fooski

Attachments

• 7A11D68B-B38C-4691-A644-F49EC0772A1C.jpeg
    7A11D68B-B38C-4691-A644-F49EC0772A1C.jpeg
    693.4 KB · Views: 676
You might try replacing the Praxis wave ring with a standard Narrow-Wide type ring designed for 1x systems. We’ve had good luck with these riding in rough terrain. See posts 62 and 67 in this thread:

Thanks for the input. I have noticed about how narrow the Praxis chain ring is and my chain moves around quite a bit. I'll give it a try and also is there a particular chain I should use?

Considering switching from a 2018 Giant Road-e to a Creo SL (not sure which model yet...). I've never had a road/gravel bike with a 1x chainring and wide range gearing in the rear cassette. Any need for a front chainguide on the 46T 1x chainring? A lot of my rides are on very rough paved/gravel roads. I've never had a problem with chain drop on the Giant's 34-50 front, paired with the 11-32 cassette. If I wanted to fit a chainguide, did Specialized design any mounting points in the area behind the chainring? I know the upper rear motor mount bolt is in this area, but wondered if there were any additional mounting points. The Levo SL has a chainguide for it's smaller 1x 30T front ring, but I can't tell from photos how it is mounted. I would check out one of the Creo's first hand, but my local dealer has no plans on bringing one in for stock. My nearest stocking dealer is over 180 miles away. Thanks!
I've dropped the chain on my Creo a couple of times, but it was always in the same situation: I was in a long and rapid descent after cresting a climb and downshifted too rapidly. I was spoiled by my 'manual' road bike's Dura-Ace drivetrain; and, while the Creo's GRX Ultegra shifters & derailleurs are quick, they're not Dura-Ace quick. Moving too rapidly from larger to smaller cogs would create chain slack and bounce and often a dropped chain. I've just learned to be a little more patient with my downshifts (one gear at a time), and it hasn't happened since.

I had a couple episodes of chain drop and then saw on this forum or somewhere (facebook Specialized Creo group:?) to check the derailleur clutch and sure enough it was in the off position. No chain drop since I moved it to the on position.
Hi, how does one check this?

My LBS installed the chainguide on my 2020 Creo Comp EVO today. The part number is S211200002. My bike is only about 6 weeks old and because of winter, limited miles so far. I haven’t dropped a chain yet but thought it would be a good idea to get one installed as a preventative measure. Installation requires removal of the chain ring to access and replace the motor bolt it attaches to. I have the remote buttons too so I guess that makes my Creo 2021 compliant.

Attachments

• 73E7EFB3-0E9F-435F-AD14-17D0DDEBB9C5.jpeg
    73E7EFB3-0E9F-435F-AD14-17D0DDEBB9C5.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 1,441
Hello everyone! I'm a new member and this is my first post here.

I want to drop right in to this topic. I have the Creo SL Comp Carbon Evo. I ride it like a mountain bike. I enjoy the fast/rough downhill sections more than anything else. My bike is 5 months old but I've put in just over 1553 miles, according to the Strava app. I've only changed tires (F:WTB Venture 700x50, R: WTB Riddler 700x45) and installed the Cushcore gravel ver. I love it!

That been said, I drop my chain pretty often and I've been looking for the solutions on the internet about this topic for a few months now and now I'm here. My case is as same as others, the chain drops inside of the front ring and so far it doesn't matter what part of the cassett where the chain is running.

I reached out to some people on Instagram and I got one official respond and one idea.

-The first one is from Specialized NZ and they said, "There is a chain guide being produced for the Creo SL..It is not availavle yet but This is the SKU I have for the parts. S211200002 and contact your LBS for it. (It looks like a lever/ plate witha lip. I think thats what you see on the 2021 models.)
-The second is to use the chain guide from the Turbo SL mountain bike and use 3D printer to fabricate the bracket and bolt on to one of the motor mount just like the Tubo SL.

I'd rather have a propeer chain guide like the ones for the MTB to be honest.. and my LBS told me the chain guide is back ordered. I'd like to fix this problem sooner than now so IO moght just buy the Turbo SL chain guide and will seee..

What do you guys think and thanks for reading my post!

Fooski
I have the 2021 Creo SL , it has a chain guard.
It constantly drops chain on the outside of chain ring, a real issue as it’s difficult to refit.
The chain guard is only of use for an inside chain drop.
New chain didn’t help.
BTW Clutch is on.
Any suggestions?

I've dropped the chain on my Creo a couple of times, but it was always in the same situation: I was in a long and rapid descent after cresting a climb and downshifted too rapidly. I was spoiled by my 'manual' road bike's Dura-Ace drivetrain; and, while the Creo's GRX Ultegra shifters & derailleurs are quick, they're not Dura-Ace quick. Moving too rapidly from larger to smaller cogs would create chain slack and bounce and often a dropped chain. I've just learned to be a little more patient with my downshifts (one gear at a time), and it hasn't happened since.
Exactly same problem with my Creo SL 2021 model, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll see how I go.

A bit late with this reply, but Yes. I have a significant issue with chain drop on my 2021 Creo SL Turbo Evo, and it has a chain catcher !!

I have the 2021 Creo SL , it has a chain guard.
It constantly drops chain on the outside of chain ring, a real issue as it’s difficult to refit.
The chain guard is only of use for an inside chain drop.
New chain didn’t help.
BTW Clutch is on.
Any suggestions?
see post #10 above, problem solved

Hi, I just installed on mine the WTB Riddlers 700x45c and I'm a bit worried about having enough clearance. Did you have any issues with it? Especially on gravel or mountain roads?

Thanks

Back