COVID-19 / recession buying an ebike...are there deals to be had?

cuwatra

As the pandemic spreads across the world has anyone found any sales occurring to stimulate sales in this down time? Please list them here so others may benefit.

In general, Bicycle Blue Book sells used and closeout and demo bikes. For closeout look for 0 miles in description. Here are all their ebikes sorted low to high in price:

Crazy Lenny's rotates specials all the time and will often discount any bike. In general it's best to call for lowest price. They have multiple "specials" pages that are hard to find and/or navigate but here are 4 of the links. I don't know why they don't just put them all on one page:

Demos | Crazy Deal | Overstock | Crisis Prices

They also have a "deal of the day" that pops up today on their main page which seems even more
crazy.gif
Lenny...

So I had been thinking about a Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0. Went to the Specialized web site, and see the bike listed for $532.50 off MSRP. Then notice additional $532.50 post-purchase "Double Your Discount" mail-in rebate available. Hmmm, $1065 (30%) off MSRP for a brand new 2020 model bike direct from Specialized...

Well, a Turbo Vado 4.0 is heading to my LBS with my name on it (I'm going to name her 'Corona'). They didn't have my frame size in stock locally so I emailed them about the deal. They replied to go ahead and order it off Specialized's web site, as during the current COVAD lock-downs, Specialized was giving the same margin to its dealers regardless of whether they purchased the bike for their showroom or the customer did it directly.

Here is a link to the list of bikes where "double the discount" rebates are available:
https://www.specializedrebates.com/media/uploads/1585179695663.pdf

So I don't know whether this is a 'normal' Spring sale, or better than normal since the pandemic hit and discretionary buying is drying up. But 30% off a brand new current model was nothing to sneeze at (pun intended) in my book.

Kind of annoying how Specialized makes you hunt and peck to find the prices after rebate and doesn't simply state double the discount. I couldn't even get the Specialized website to show the rebate on my tablet. Here's a retailer that dinspenses with the BS and cuts to the chase:

S-WORKS TURBO LEVO
Regular price$12,074.99 Sale price$10,565.63 Save $1,509.36
Final Price after rebate $9,056.25 (save $3,018.75)

TURBO LEVO EXPERT CARBON
Regular price$8,274.99 Sale price$7,861.25 Save $413.74
Final Price after rebate $7,447.50 (save $827.50)

TURBO LEVO
Regular price$4,974.99 Sale price$4,726.25 Save $248.74
Final Price after rebate $4,477.50 (save $497.50)

TURBO VADO 4.0
Regular price$3,549.99 Sale price$3,017.50 Save $532.49
Final Price after rebate $2,485.00 (save $1,065.00)

TURBO COMO 4.0
Regular price$3,349.99 Sale price$2,847.50 Save $502.49
Final Price after rebate $2,345.00 (save $1,005.00)

I read that bicycle sales in general are booming at the moment for the obvious reasons .

Yeah between limited ebike production capacity (in the short to medium term, 6-24 months), social distancing and ebikes being a cheap substitute for cars, I would not expect discounts on commuter models. Plausible for some recreational only models, eg MTBs

It seems to me that we are at the point where bikes which were ordered and manufactured last year (pre-COVID-19) have now landed in the U.S. and are available. Dealers would generally have placed their orders last Fall, and bikes would have had to be on boats for a while in order to stock the dealers in time for the Spring/Summer riding/bike buying season.

I need absolutely nothing further e-bike wise. But I'm always looking for great deals, and with a wholesale pull-back in discretionary spending I think that we will be seeing some.

I am surprised that there aren't more deals to be head based on what you said above re discretionary spending. Seems like the Turbo Vado and Como are the best deals out there for pretty strong bikes, with great LBS support and good quality components.

Crazy Lenny's definitely has had some interesting bikes listed on their site. Many are only of short-term availability, then the price goes back up. I called last weekend regarding a bike with a $3,699 price listed on the site. Len immediately offered it to me over the phone for $2,500, so deals may be available without being fully publicized. Then there is the Stromer ST5 which they just put up yesterday for $2,000 off MSRP. Don't usually see Stromers discounted at all, but I'm pretty sure that folks are holding off buying $10k e-bikes during these uncertain times.

Frey also recently had their promotion for free shipping if you could wait until about Aug-Sep to take delivery. Even the previous group buys only got the sea shipping down into the $200-$300 range, so this was a true discount.

I think that we'll continue to see deals coming out, unless e-bike sales get stronger due to Corona, with folks wanting to improve health and get off public transportation. There is apparently some of that going on already (both bikes and e-bikes).

And I have been out enjoying my new Turbo Vado 4.0 every day this week! Now waiting for my "double the discount" pre-paid VISA card to arrive (6-8 weeks).

Crazy Lenny's definitely has had some interesting bikes listed on their site. Many are only of short-term availability, then the price goes back up. I called last weekend regarding a bike with a $3,699 price listed on the site. Len immediately offered it to me over the phone for $2,500, so deals may be available without being fully publicized. Then there is the Stromer ST5 which they just put up yesterday for $2,000 off MSRP. Don't usually see Stromers discounted at all, but I'm pretty sure that folks are holding off buying $10k e-bikes during these uncertain times.

Frey also recently had their promotion for free shipping if you could wait until about Aug-Sep to take delivery. Even the previous group buys only got the sea shipping down into the $200-$300 range, so this was a true discount.

I think that we'll continue to see deals coming out, unless e-bike sales get stronger due to Corona, with folks wanting to improve health and get off public transportation. There is apparently some of that going on already (both bikes and e-bikes).

And I have been out enjoying my new Turbo Vado 4.0 every day this week! Now waiting for my "double the discount" pre-paid VISA card to arrive (6-8 weeks).
Is the 36v battery adequate? Most others that I looked at were 48v.....and I have been 'sold at' to think that I need 48....but the Vado seems like a highly regarded bike with just 36. Thoughts?

All the bikes I have with Brose mid-motors (Vado 4.0, Raleigh Tamland iE, BH Lynx 6) run on a 36 volt system. The Bosch mid-motor bike I have (Grace MX II Trail) is 36V. The Shimano Steps e8000 mid-motor bike I have (Felt Sport-E 50) is 36 V. The Yamaha PW-X mid-motor bike I have (Haibike AllMtn 2.0) is 36V. NONE are underpowered and 3 are speed pedelecs (assist up to 25-28 mph).

I'm no expert but I believe that higher voltage systems benefit hub motors the most, until you are getting way up there in high wattage mid-motor bikes (e.g.: Bafang Ultra at 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 watts).

I have not adjusted/customized the assist levels on the Vado yet. Like most of my other bikes, I generally ride in about the middle level of assist, never using 'Sport' or 'Turbo' other than trying it out on occasion. The Vado I have exclusively been riding in level 2 (of 3). Today, since my battery was only ~50% at the start of the ride, I rode mostly in level 1 (just boosting to 2 on hills into headwinds). Available torque/power was never an issue.

Higher voltage e-bike systems may provide usable/appreciable benefits in certain instances. And then there is marketing...

All the bikes I have with Brose mid-motors (Vado 4.0, Raleigh Tamland iE, BH Lynx 6) run on a 36 volt system. The Bosch mid-motor bike I have (Grace MX II Trail) is 36V. The Shimano Steps e8000 mid-motor bike I have (Felt Sport-E 50) is 36 V. The Yamaha PW-X mid-motor bike I have (Haibike AllMtn 2.0) is 36V. NONE are underpowered and 3 are speed pedelecs (assist up to 25-28 mph).

I'm no expert but I believe that higher voltage systems benefit hub motors the most, until you are getting way up there in high wattage mid-motor bikes (e.g.: Bafang Ultra at 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 watts).

I have not adjusted/customized the assist levels on the Vado yet. Like most of my other bikes, I generally ride in about the middle level of assist, never using 'Sport' or 'Turbo' other than trying it out on occasion. The Vado I have exclusively been riding in level 2 (of 3). Today, since my battery was only ~50% at the start of the ride, I rode mostly in level 1 (just boosting to 2 on hills into headwinds). Available torque/power was never an issue.

Higher voltage e-bike systems may provide usable/appreciable benefits in certain instances. And then there is marketing...
Yes---I am trying to sort the 'real' from the 'marketing'.

Motor A is fed 48 volts. It spins 48/36 as fast as motor B which is fed 36 volts. Motor B uses 36/48 the internal gearing of Motor A such that the end result delivered by both motors is the same. As long as both motors are fed the same watts ( volts x amps ) one is not more powerful than the other. I am not a battery or motor expert and it may be more efficient to feed less amps and more volts or it maybe more efficient for the internal motor to spin faster but otherwise I see no theoretical benefits to higher voltage.

As the pandemic spreads across the world has anyone found any sales occurring to stimulate sales in this down time? Please list them here so others may benefit.
Bolton E bikes and rad have stimulus priced E Bike’s

When I first started looking at e bikes last year, I was impressed with the features and value prop of the RAD City. I started to lean away from it when I was concerned about what I would do for local service and the fact that I couldn’t test ride it. With the 4 now out it keeps sounding more impressive for the $$.

Bolton looks to be selling Frankenstein's bike among other eunorau creations:

If anyone dare buys it you can get it cheaper from eunorau with promo code.

Last edited:
Seems Haibike has some 2018/2019 closeouts on sale thru May 4th. Looks like prior gen bosch motors on some of them, and yamaha motors on others.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Seems Haibike has some 2018/2019 closeouts on sale thru May 4th. Looks like prior gen bosch motors on some of them, and yamaha motors on others.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Thanks for this. Very interested in a Haibike but a bit concerned that they seem to be w/ding from the NA market. ???

I noticed that Ebikes 508 has the 2019 Haibike Trekking 7.0 for sale for $2,499 with no sales tax and free shipping. They seem to have all sizes other than XL, but it also seems from what I have read that the Haibike trekking frames run rather large?

Doesn't have the 28mph assist that the Trekking 9.0 S has, but beats the 9.0's price by almost a grand and a PearTune module for Bosch is only ~$125 from the manufacturer on eBay. 7.0 does seem to have a good component spec and I believe it is the lowest model with the Bosch Performance CX (previous generation) motor (although others love the Yamaha drive system available on the even lower number Haibike Trekking models).

Note that BlackHand recently purchased a Trekking 9.0 S from Crazy Lenny's for $3,250 shipped: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...aibike-fullseven-7-0.32599/page-2#post-271504

Not much info on the 7.0 model on the interwebs - maybe not that popular in the U.S.? But it seems like a nicely spec'd bike and great price to me (ask me why Ebikes 508 doesn't have any XL's left ;)). The model has also been continued by Haibike for 2020.

I have purchased from eBikes 508 in the past, and they were a good shop to work with. They also have the Trekking 7.0 low step in stock for the same price.

SDURO_TREKKING_7.0_2048x.png

Back