COVID-19 / recession buying an ebike...are there deals to be had?

That does look like a good value. Besides the CX motor and powerpack instead of powertube battery, the main difference is the 9.0 has the Modular Rail System that lets you add a second 500wh battery. If you're planning to chip the motor and don't think you'll ever desire the option to add a second battery it's a pretty easy call.

BTW the 2020 7.0 has the integrated powertube battery on the Haibike European site. Don't know if it's even available on this side of the pond. Seems like they just skipped a lot of 2020's for this market.

As the pandemic spreads across the world has anyone found any sales occurring to stimulate sales in this down time? Please list them here so others may benefit.
I recently bought a 2019 Haibike SDURO LT 9.0 for 3499, and was originally 5699...thought it was a pretty good deal to get a new top end emtb. I bought it am from San Diego fly rides, it was also marked down on Haibike’s site, but crazy Kenny’s was still full retail. Good luck!

Kenny must be Lenny's krazy brother. 🤡 FWIW, you usually need to call Lenny's to get the best price, assuming they have what you're looking for in stock (website isn't up to date). Sounds like a lot of dealers are out of stock so it may be more of a challenge to find these Haibike closeouts in stock in your size.

Last edited:
I noticed that Ebikes 508 has the 2019 Haibike Trekking 7.0 for sale for $2,499 with no sales tax and free shipping. They seem to have all sizes other than XL, but it also seems from what I have read that the Haibike trekking frames run rather large?

Doesn't have the 28mph assist that the Trekking 9.0 S has, but beats the 9.0's price by almost a grand and a PearTune module for Bosch is only ~$125 from the manufacturer on eBay. 7.0 does seem to have a good component spec and I believe it is the lowest model with the Bosch Performance CX (previous generation) motor (although others love the Yamaha drive system available on the even lower number Haibike Trekking models).

Note that BlackHand recently purchased a Trekking 9.0 S from Crazy Lenny's for $3,250 shipped: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...aibike-fullseven-7-0.32599/page-2#post-271504

Not much info on the 7.0 model on the interwebs - maybe not that popular in the U.S.? But it seems like a nicely spec'd bike and great price to me (ask me why Ebikes 508 doesn't have any XL's left ;)). The model has also been continued by Haibike for 2020.

I have purchased from eBikes 508 in the past, and they were a good shop to work with. They also have the Trekking 7.0 low step in stock for the same price.

SDURO_TREKKING_7.0_2048x.png
Too bad it's 20mph. Need a bit more speed on roads. I guess that's the price difference between 7.0 and 9.0s.

Too bad it's 20mph. Need a bit more speed on roads. I guess that's the price difference between 7.0 and 9.0s.
But, as specified in the text you quoted, the PearTune module for only $125 removes the speed limitation of the motor (and keeps all data on the display accurate).

I also like the fact that the Bosch Performance CX motor which comes on the 7.0 model provides 75 nm of torque, whereas the Bosch Performance Speed motor which comes on the 9.0 only provides 60 nm of torque.

I will assume that the chipped CX motor might drink more juice at higher speeds as compared to the Speed motor, but I have extra 500 wH PowerPacks - if necessary I can bring 2 extra ones along in pannier bags.

So I guess I don't see the price difference between the 7.0 and 9.0 as clearly as you do.

But, as specified in the text you quoted, the PearTune module for only $125 removes the speed limitation of the motor (and keeps all data on the display accurate).

I also like the fact that the Bosch Performance CX motor which comes on the 7.0 model provides 75 nm of torque, whereas the Bosch Performance Speed motor which comes on the 9.0 only provides 60 nm of torque.

I will assume that the chipped CX motor might drink more juice at higher speeds as compared to the Speed motor, but I have extra 500 wH PowerPacks - if necessary I can bring 2 extra ones along in pannier bags.

So I guess I don't see the price difference between the 7.0 and 9.0 as clearly as you do.
Yeah if you already have the powerpacks the delimited CX will take you as far as you want and fast as you can pedal! Those older CX,s will ( or should ) be discounted now that the Gen 4 is out. This is a motor I trust.

Reactions: TMH
Minor differences include the fork, derailleur, and brakes on the 9.0 S that are all a step up from what the 7.0 has. But really the price premium is for the integrated battery and privilege of having the speed motor without having to mess with it.

FWIW Haibike values the drivetrain difference at 200 Euro's since that's the difference in list price between the 9.0 and 9.0 S for the European market. I think it would be hard to argue that the 7.0 isn't the best value in the available trekking models in the US - if you can find it.

I wouldn't have blinked twice at chipping the CX, but certainly knowing that I don't have to deal with tuning it and possibly compromising warranty coverage has value.

I always assume that speed pedelecs are built to a higher, more robust standard to be able to handle the greater stresses generated by higher speeds. I think that this applies to the build components used (especially wheels/tires, but others as well), and maybe even to the design or construction of the frame.

But I don't plan on loading or utilizing the bike too heavily so I'm hopeful I can get away with running the 7.0 at higher speeds without failures.

I was sure that I wanted a class 3 vs a class 1. To me it was ‘why would i want a slower bike”.

While I have ZERO regrets about my choice (loving it!) I will say that during a few of my rides when i looked at my speed i thought- 20mph is still really fast. ;)

My rides have been averaging 15-18 mph, with only a few bursts of 21-26 mph.

I always assume that speed pedelecs are built to a higher, more robust standard to be able to handle the greater stresses generated by higher speeds. I think that this applies to the build components used (especially wheels/tires, but others as well), and maybe even to the design or construction of the frame.

But I don't plan on loading or utilizing the bike too heavily so I'm hopeful I can get away with running the 7.0 at higher speeds without failures.
The CX is the strongest motor at 75 Nm. The speed at 63 Nm is also a limited motor but it simply has the limiter set at a higher more reasonable speed. My first CX has 19,000km and is still pulling like a beast. I put the de-limiter in after the first 6 months. No issues. I just bought another bike with a CX and I plan on putting the Bikespeed in as soon it arrives from Germany. I would take your 7.0 in a heartbeat!

Reactions: TMH
I was sure that I wanted a class 3 vs a class 1. To me it was ‘why would i want a slower bike”.

While I have ZERO regrets about my choice (loving it!) I will say that during a few of my rides when i looked at my speed i thought- 20mph is still really fast. ;)

My rides have been averaging 15-18 mph, with only a few bursts of 21-26 mph.

Depending on how the manufacturer (of the bike or the assist system) programs things, the motor's assist begins to taper off before the top speed is reached. I've heard of some U.S. spec Class 1 bikes starting to drop motor assist in the 17.x mph range so getting even to 20 mph requires a good deal of exertion pushing a heavy bike as air resistance ramps up rapidly (exponentially).

And while I'm never really in a hurry to get anywhere quick, I love it when I can pull an average speed of 21+ over my 10 mile local sprint route. Even if I have to use a cheater bike! ;) But at least I make it a point to only use low to mid level assist settings - It just doesn't seem 'fair' to use Sport or Turbo!

My Felt Sport-e 50 has the great Shimano Steps E8000 motor but the speed limiter can feel so frustrating some times. I now only use that bike when we are going out on a casual, recovery ride.

The CX is the strongest motor at 75 Nm. The speed at 63 Nm is also a limited motor but it simply has the limiter set at a higher more reasonable speed. My first CX has 19,000km and is still pulling like a beast. I put the de-limiter in after the first 6 months. No issues. I just bought another bike with a CX and I plan on putting the Bikespeed in as soon it arrives from Germany. I would take your 7.0 in a heartbeat!
I'm very glad to hear reliability stories from a high mileage, experienced rider. This will be the first bike I have chipped, and although I have read enough to feel secure in chipping a brand new bike, there is always that little reliability question in the back of my mind.

Here is an interesting incentive... the more bikes the better. ;)

France is encouraging people to cycle to keep pollution levels low once lockdown restrictions end.
Under the €20 million (£17m; $21.7m) scheme, everyone will be eligible for bike repairs of up to €50 at registered mechanics.
The funding will also help pay for cycle training and temporary parking spaces.
Nations worldwide are grappling with ways to change urban transport in light of the coronavirus...

Seems like real estate is also being impacted, with net movement out of big cities to the suburbs. Of course if these folks still work in the city they will need a safe and effective mode of transportation from home -> work -> home again. And so much of micro mobility has been based on first mile/last mile solutions, which still require the use of petri dish trains/subways/busses in the middle.

I just can't see e-bikes being usable for the whole journey in most places in the U.S., especially if folks move farther from work to feel safer out of the city. Motorcycles/E-Motorcycles might be a solution in areas with the appropriate climate, but they are just too scary for many.

I wonder whether in the post-pandemic U.S. we will begin to see the very small EV cars arriving, which were originally only planned for sale in Asia and Europe. It might be the biggest step U.S. commuters are willing to take.

Or, with appropriate planning, Park-And-Ride lots just outside of the cities, with lots of big SUV's pulling in with e-bikes on their rear racks?

[
Seems like real estate is also being impacted, with net movement out of big cities to the suburbs. Of course if these folks still work in the city they will need a safe and effective mode of transportation from home -> work -> home again. And so much of micro mobility has been based on first mile/last mile solutions, which still require the use of petri dish trains/subways/busses in the middle.

I just can't see e-bikes being usable for the whole journey in most places in the U.S., especially if folks move farther from work to feel safer out of the city. Motorcycles/E-Motorcycles might be a solution in areas with the appropriate climate, but they are just too scary for many.

I wonder whether in the post-pandemic U.S. we will begin to see the very small EV cars arriving, which were originally only planned for sale in Asia and Europe. It might be the biggest step U.S. commuters are willing to take.

Or, with appropriate planning, Park-And-Ride lots just outside of the cities, with lots of big SUV's pulling in with e-bikes on their rear racks?
Or someone finds a vaccine and this all goes away (-:

My LBS told me they sold out of everything in the lower price ranges.

Yes I was thinking that the deals may not be as great as one might expect at the model year end clearout next Winter.

Back