Converted my Juggernaut Ultra to single speed

TForan

No, not choice but some jackass rode my bike and destroyed my derailleur ,hanger and chain. At full power, he shifted from the smallest to the biggest gear at once and what a mess.

Anyway, parts are back ordered, so to keep riding, I put the chain on the third gear and it works fine. Only went for a short ride because it's rainy and cold but I'll see tomorrow .

Just today I was thinking ... what do I do when friends want to try my new bike ... when it gets here. Plus I work on a ranch and the owners ( bosses ) are going to want to try it. Actually worries me as I envision the exact same thing as you describe happening. Or worse. :( And if I say no everyone is going to think I'm a jerk. Best I can think of to do is leave it in PAS 1 and temporarily take the throttle off it.

Maybe I'll just tell em, " Hey, this thing looks like a bike but it's actually a motorcycle and it can really hurt you." 🤣

This guy appeared to be the most mechanically challenged human being I ever met. He might be able to take care of a cement block but maybe not.

Yeah i let my friend ride mine but made sure he knew not to touch the shifter and just out him in the gear that tops out at 32 even if you hold the throttle

i worry about this also lol,im fine with newbs riding my Hub Cruiser but not my mid drive,just to much they could jack up lol

He was startled by the power and instead of using the brakes, he downshifted all the way to the largest cog. Partially my fault because I had the chain tighter because I never use the four lowest gears. Twisted the derailleur into a pretzel !

There are some people (the ones I ride with) I would let ride my carbon road bike and gravel ebike, but for most people I'd say, "No", to a ride. I was the same way when I owned an older Porsche sport car. Very few people got a chance to drive that car.

There are some people (the ones I ride with) I would let ride my carbon road bike and gravel ebike, but for most people I'd say, "No", to a ride. I was the same way when I owned an older Porsche sport car. Very few people got a chance to drive that car.

I hear you with old Porsches. I had a 69 911S ,which could go into wicked trailing brake oversteer and if you weren't ready , bad things would happen.

Sheesh! That sounds pretty brutal! How's the wheel/frame?

Single speed is going to be a bit wonky without adjustable rear dropouts for tension. You'll have to rely on a hanging tensioner, mounts in place of RD.

Your speed range is going to be quite low and slow in single speed, since if you try to gear it too high, you'll risk overloading the motor internal mechanical bits... Unless you're very careful and set max output well below what the motor is capable of. The Ultra was never really designed for single speed use, but I believe a few folks have had some success with that.

Good luck! If it were me, I'd probably ask a few bike friends for loaner parts, even 7 or 8 speed stuff would be better than 1 speed IMO. When you do replace with new stuff (12-speed!), get in touch with me I will gladly recommend what I've researched and bought for my 12-speed setup, which has worked perfectly from the get go 😁

Sheesh! That sounds pretty brutal! How's the wheel/frame?

Single speed is going to be a bit wonky without adjustable rear dropouts for tension. You'll have to rely on a hanging tensioner, mounts in place of RD.

Your speed range is going to be quite low and slow in single speed, since if you try to gear it too high, you'll risk overloading the motor internal mechanical bits... Unless you're very careful and set max output well below what the motor is capable of. The Ultra was never really designed for single speed use, but I believe a few folks have had some success with that.

Good luck! If it were me, I'd probably ask a few bike friends for loaner parts, even 7 or 8 speed stuff would be better than 1 speed IMO. When you do replace with new stuff (12-speed!), get in touch with me I will gladly recommend what I've researched and bought for my 12-speed setup, which has worked perfectly from the get go 😁

Parts are ordered and should be here next week. It actually works decently. Nothing I would do on a long term basis but it gets it on the road. I've abused this bike for three years without trouble. Never caring about the right gear, just move it up to five and go!

Just got it back on the road today. Couldn't find a Deore derailleur anywhere and then one popped up on Amazon. Also, new gears and chain and properly adjusted by my LBS. Near silent riding. Must be the nylon gears. Such a fun bike to ride !

Back