Connectors and the Cycle Satiator

PJungnitsch

I was having trouble with the charger that came with my Biktrix Juggernaut and have not been able to source a spare one from them. Did end up taking the connector apart and resoldering it but was thinking a better charger like the Satiator may be a good idea, for additional safety and something I could use on my longboards as well.

The problem I'm having is sourcing a connector that fits my Biktrix pack. It's a round, what is apparently called an 'inline' connector, and apparently there are a lot of variants of these. About 12.8mm O.D. on this one, 4 pins, two connected.

IMG_1375-M.jpg

IMG_1368-M.jpg

IMG_1369-M.jpg

IMG_1366-M.jpg

Any good ideas on a source? The Satiator people don't have one, and Amazon/Ebay are usually a bit light on details.

If you're trashing the old charger, then use the connector from it. Cut enough wire with it to make it easy to solder to another charger. I will bet that there's really only 2 live wires there; maybe, a ground also. Salvage jobs are part of working on ebikes. What you will want is to verify that the polarity noted on the face of the charger port does really match that of the charger.

Just re-read your post and there are only 2 wires. Why not change the charger port to a more common three prong setup; have the port be female and the charger end, male (like a typical XLR plug)? It's another option and those parts are readily available.

Thanks. I'm not keen on splitting the case to change the connector, but I might be able to make up an adapter.

Looks like though I might have bigger problems. After I resoldered the charger connector and tested it on the battery, it separated and briefly shorted to it's metal collar when I attempted to remove it the first time. Now, while the charger shows power on it's indicator lights and with a voltmeter on the connector, it won't charge the battery.

Did the brief short knock out something in the charger that lets it charge? Or is something out now with the battery pack? It runs the bike fine, but I can't charge it up again.

It's a strong possibility something got fried, P. :eek:. Do you read proper voltage coming out of the charger? If so, you might have shorted the battery's charger port. If you don't read anything on the charger, then it's possible that something is toasted inside the charger and most chargers are not really designed to be opened or worked on.

Charger seems to be fine, reads the proper voltage on the end, looks OK inside, and when I tried to reset the BMS by connecting it via jumper wires to the batteries outlet port it did go into charge mode.

So I assume it is a problem now with the battery. Going by this:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

There is a possibility the BMS had 'tripped' internally, so tried to reset it with the charger from the other end, but no luck.

https://lunacycle.com/jumping-your-luna-shark-battery-pack/

However the charge port on the battery itself does not read any voltage, even though the indicator on the battery does read a little when pressed.

So it is possible something has broken in the battery connection inside the battery case, or the BMS needs to be disconnected and reconnected for a more substantial reboot. I attempted to split the case, the screws are out, the front clips are apart but the back half (by the handle) will not come apart.

Any tips on splitting a shark-type case?

IMG_1371-M.jpg

Those instructions are for a series of batteries they sold with BMS problems. Splitting a case is no big deal but can create other problems. Why not call Roshan the builder to help sort it. Chances are he has a solution, or can tell you if there's a fuse, probably not, but it could. There is no normal BMS reboot. Typically if shorted out its fried. Again, this is best solved with Roshan.

When searching for connectors I use familiar terms and use Google picture. Phrases like eBike battery connectors or lithium bicycle battery connectors. I've found every one I looked for.

Thanks, I sent a note to Roshan on the same issue. I did get a couple of new chargers from him today, but no good, so it is certainly something in the battery.

The case comes apart easily in the front, the back part around is hanging up somewhere, don't want to force it.

I should probably start a new topic, certainly someone has taken this particular battery case apart already, it's a fairly common one that Biktrix sold initially and I believe Voltbike still sells.

Back