Commuter Log

wow. Marc, great ride. You got to battle a few busy intersections that I wouldn't want to get any busier than they were. Nice. Looks like it's longer than 11 miles. Good job.

Yeah it is a bit harrier when I cross the river into Kentucky. My favorite part is crossing the Ohio on the pedestrian/bike bridge (so cleverly named The Purple People Bridge). I always use a blinky on the rear below the integrated rack light, hoping it makes me more visible. I use the Surfas Thunderbolt. USB rechargeable and is super bright.

Agree Vern. I don't think they are mad at me, it is mostly a look of astonishment I get because unless they know what to look for it isn't obvious I am on an assisted bike. Usually when I talk to people about the bike, and help them understand it isn't a scooter, they get really interested in the idea.
Yes, ebikes are here to stay and people will adopt.

Vern - I run into the situation of passing bikers all the time, mainly because Cincinnati is becoming more bike-friendly every day. The city has a great bike plan ( http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/bikes/ ). There is even an interactive map to show preferred, caution, and not recommended routes. I always feel a little guilty passing someone working hard, but probably because I have become such an avid "regular" biker over the past year. I have even shrugged an mentioned I was cheating to a couple of people I have passed in the dedicated bike lanes.
Mark,

I looked at some of your threads. Congrats on your new Turbo. First, I find it very cool that you juggled between a Stromer, Dash/Peak/ and a Turbo, and anded up buying the more expensive bike. Free market at its best. Given you have a 260lb frame, the "bigger" Turbo should fit like a glove.

I saw your commute video - very cool, good job. I like seeing the dated architecture in SW Ohio. I am originially from MArietta, OH area. With your Turbo, you really are a Cincinnati Red. couldn't resist. lol.

I test rode the turbo in a parking lot. It is a great design for a commute bike. Big hole is no suspension, but the fat 2" tires go a long way to help. I still think some light weight, fox forks, with adjustment and lock out would rock.

Good rides. thanks again for the stats.

I wish they had the Turbo available in Canada. I probably would have bought it when I was looking at bikes. It's the stealthiest coolest one out there (except for the Grace which are the hottest looking ones!)

I forgot to type a post in regards to the flat - there is one thing you might try next time to avoid the double flat:
  1. Before you remove the tire, mark the tire at a point concentric to the valve stem (I just smear lube from the chain). Do this on a sidewall.
  2. Remove the tube, and mark the side of the tube that corresponds to the side of the tire you marked the same way.
  3. If you find the puncture in the tube, you can line up the valve stem with the tire, and find the spot on the tire where the puncture was on the tube and inspect
  4. If you didn't mark the sides, and may have flipped the tube, you have to check 2 points on the tire - one with the tube one way and one flipped over
This has helped me find glass and thorns on my road bikes - I haven't had to do this on the bike yet.

no way...ugh. :) I really don't need it on the road. I could see well enough to avoid big bumps at high speed. For small bumps at high speed I just loosen up my grip to dissipate the shock impact. At slow speed through big bumps I just loosen up my grip and either shift weight off the saddle or stand up and let my arms act as shocks. Funny, I used to be a serious photographer and this is similar to how I used to explain my justification and distaste for zoom lenses. Just make a few steps forward or a few steps back and you're zooming ;-)

Last edited:
Just a thought but when you have an adjustable fork you have options, including a lock out, with a zoom sometimes you cant get even 1 ft closer but when you can you can still take a close ups, options. . BTW this is just an opinion , mine :) you didn't ask for it but i did want to make it and not be offensive, thx.

Mark

I just got my turbo this weekend and i love it, i will post my commute up here soon, just trying to get it set up for commuting. I was going to put a rack and panniers on it, but really don't like that look, debating wearing a backpack cause i love the look of the clean bike, but why should i care about looks, i need to be worried about comfort. I was debating the revelate full frame bag i have on my current salsa fargo commuter, but then i would lose the water bottle mount. Thanks to Brambor for posting pictures of your bike with the smaller triangle bag you got, i just ordered that since i can still get to the water bottle.

I did see that, kind of torn on it, but i do love it on my salsa fargo. We will see when i put miles on, but having ridden road bikes, i don't think i will mind it being so firm, most the roads and paths around here are pretty smooth, not much in the way of rough roads

So i have now completed my first week commuting on this bike, wow, wish i would have bought it a long time ago. Looking at my commute on garmin, i realized that riding my normal bicycle, not only have i been riding to work less and less, my weekend rides have dropped off also. I believe because i was just burnt out. This bike feels just like riding a bicycle, what i mean is i had a electric bike years ago and with the throttle it was not like riding a bike, cause i would just hold the throttle to work at 19mph. With the turbo, no peddle no motor really, so i am forced to treat it like a bike, but it really is you stronger as i am riding to work at 26 to 27mph. Using the bike path part of my ride, i can get to work in the same amount of time as if i drove my car, because i avoid the stop signs by cutting through a section on that bike. I am hoping in the next few weeks to push the mileage and see what i can get out of it. I do have to say that i have no brake squeal i have heard about. Also having the headlights and tail lights on the bike is awesome. I no longer have to worry about charging all my lights before work on monday morning, as the lights are always charged with the battery.

awesome! Very happy for you can experience this. I have been on this since April and I still have this $hit eating grin when I commute. :)

So today I looked at my battery mileage. 540 miles. Multiplied by two (I use two batteries every day) and 300+ miles I put on my first Turbo that got totalled during an accident. I'm getting close to 1500 miles, estimating to put on about 2000 miles before I switch to my 'wintermobile plan'. The mornings have suddenly turned nippier. Today is my first time I put on a thin long sleeve thermal top. Yesterday's afternoon wind was 'different' :) .

My Turbo has served me well. My rear tire is ready for a replacement, I have replaced rear brake pads, had slight issue with torque sensor that my shop took care of. Other than that, my bike has been good to me, serving me almost exactly as I planned. Helping me through the tough days, making me feel fit and happy and in general putting a smile on my face. After about a month (sometimes in October) there will be morning when we could start seeing slight frost. This will be the time to hang up the Turbo. Give it one last tuneup and let it sleep for the winter. :)

It's the end of October now and in Maine, or at least for me, it means waffling between cold gear and warm gear. I start in the darkness now and it's cold but I find myself often overdressed, especially on the return trip. The temperature hovers around freezing in the morning but could be 50 degrees on the return trip.

I have not yet put on my winter tires but I am commuting at 50% eco assist. It slows me a little bit down and I like it that way as I do not want to get caught on frozen asphalt doing 28mph.

My attire now is:
Wool undies
One piece biking bib with a thin film of warm fuzzy stuff on the inside,
Supplex Nylon pants
Lightweight wool long sleeve undergarment
Synthetic fill hoodie jacket or my Patagonia houdini windshirt
Thin wool facemask
Ski Helmet (warm ear protection) or my regular biking helmet
Wool Gloves (Outdoor Research)
La Sportiva Wildcat Gore Tex Sneakers or Winter BC XC ski boots

I have added additional USB rechargeable red flasher that I clip to my rear bag.

I have changed my route slightly to avoid one big hill. This will be my winter route. I do not want to go down the big hill and encounter freezing/slippery surface on the road.

Cheers :)

It's the end of October now and in Maine, or at least for me, it means waffling between cold gear and warm gear. I start in the darkness now and it's cold but I find myself often overdressed, especially on the return trip. The temperature hovers around freezing in the morning but could be 50 degrees on the return trip.

I have not yet put on my winter tires but I am commuting at 50% eco assist. It slows me a little bit down and I like it that way as I do not want to get caught on frozen asphalt doing 28mph.

Concerning clothing, in winter I usually try to underdress so that I will be slightly cold at the start of the trip; that way the I am usually ok after a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
Back