Commuter Log

If I were less in a rush and more friendly by nature, I would do the same. I propose a truce between cyclists and ebikers around the world. Don't hate us because of our electric motors. We are not the enemy. For many of us the ebike replaces a CAR not a bike.

I still have a bike and I love it. I would gladly take my regular bike, but it just takes too long. I think we should work together to get more people out there and out of cars!! ALSO, some of the bike paths in my neighborhood are not very well maintained. There is a long stretch I go on where the road next to me is nice and smooth and my bike path is horribly bumpy. Obviously the city repairs the pot holes and ruts in the street and fails to do so for the bike lane. Part of my commute also has a dedicated bike trail as opposed to a bike lane. It would be GREAT if there were more of those around. It is SO nice to just to ride without worrying about being hit by a car once in a while.

Great point Vern,
As more and more people get on e/bikes for commuting purpose, it becomes easier to mandate new rules and amend the existing ones.

As long as you're not racing, none of it is cheating. It feels cheating only to those elite roadies who go on power trip by pedaling a 15lb bike past the regular riders.

Ebikes are just beginning to catch up. I think you should be proud of being a green commuter.

I don't *actually* think I am cheating, it is just a self-deprecating comment I have made to break the ice when I am around other cyclists. Gives me a chance to explain when I ride my e-bike and when I ride my road bike, and the great benefits of electric assist. My weekly miles went from 60-80 pre-Turbo to 140+ post-Turbo. The incremental amount is direct replacement for auto transport. I still ride a carbon road bike and my steel tourer, and recognize the effort it takes to climb those same hills unassisted - by recognizing someone else is doing that generally gives me a few minutes of chatting on the road if the other biker is interested. Not intended to be judgmental at all. I was probably the last to find out, but I was surprised at how many people think e-bikes are a great idea once you have that quick chat.

I don't *actually* think I am cheating, it is just a self-deprecating comment I have made to break the ice when I am around other cyclists. Gives me a chance to explain when I ride my e-bike and when I ride my road bike, and the great benefits of electric assist. My weekly miles went from 60-80 pre-Turbo to 140+ post-Turbo. The incremental amount is direct replacement for auto transport. I still ride a carbon road bike and my steel tourer, and recognize the effort it takes to climb those same hills unassisted - by recognizing someone else is doing that generally gives me a few minutes of chatting on the road if the other biker is interested. Not intended to be judgmental at all. I was probably the last to find out, but I was surprised at how many people think e-bikes are a great idea once you have that quick chat.

Hi Marc,
Sorry the previous comment was not directed at you. I have heard such comments from even bicycle shops and as you have noticed, once they try out an ebike, all those opinions quickly change. It truly is a replacement for auto transport, especially in big cities like SF, NY, Chicago etc.
Happy riding.. :)

Brambor - your experience has me considering bicycle specific insurance. If you are up for disclosing, can I ask: Was your bike covered by the driver? Did you have to invoke any of your own insurance to get compensated? Great to hear you are back at it on a new bike!

Ravi - absolutely. I have talked to the local Specialized dealer here and after hearing me describe the bike and its performance, they have decided to send their techs to get Turbo certified so they can sell the bike. I had to drive to Indianapolis to find a certified Turbo dealer (Gray Goat Sports. Awesome guys and a great name for a shop). That is actually one important factor if anyone ever asks: not every Spesh dealer can sell a Turbo. They only allow dealers who have completed the e-bike training courses to do it.

The driver's insurance started taking a long time so I spoke to my bike insurance and asked to get reimbursed minus my deductible and have them handle it from there. When they get reimbursed from the insurance they will then refund my deductible.

got my first flat today about a mile from reaching home. Walked. No problem. Rear wheel. Had a spare innertube and it was actually really easy.
  1. Take off the chain
  2. Unplug the connection to the motor
  3. With my hex tool unscrew the thru axle
  4. Drop the wheel out
  5. Take out the innertube
  6. Insert new innertube and partially inflate it to help with attaching tire
  7. Bounce the wheel a little to distribute the innertube
  8. Inflate fully
  9. Slide the wheel back in and sort of attach the chain
  10. Slide thru axle bolt and finagle the wheel until bolt catches the thread on the other end.
  11. Tighten and reattach motor connection.
done

Awesome.
Changing a flat is easier on quick release or thru axles. An extra tube and a pump in your revelate bag and you're worry-free. :)

I've had several morons scream "cheater" at me when I pass them, and I'm really tired of it.
Now I scream b*llsh*t back at them, and give them a ration of it if they dare argue back. I may start carrying pepper spray again, but not for the dogs...

lesson number 1 ;-)

before you reattach the tire, carefully inspect the spot where the puncture happened for embedded microscopic shards of glass.

had to redo it this morning. Luckily I had another spare innertube. Will buy a patch kit for the two puncturedd tubes. Lol

I've had several morons scream "cheater" at me when I pass them, and I'm really tired of it.
Now I scream b*llsh*t back at them, and give them a ration of it if they dare argue back. I may start carrying pepper spray again, but not for the dogs...
I posted earlier that I hate passing cyclists and usually try to do it as quickly as possible to just get it over with. I was thinking though, that this may come off as being obnoxious or rude. Like I am trying to shove it in their face that I am faster. The next time I have to pass a cyclist, I think that I will say hello, ride with them for a little. and then slowly pull away. I think that might be taken better by the other cyclists, but honestly who knows. Some people are just too competitive to accept e-bikes as bikes. To me they are bikes and a revolutionary form of transportation.

Vern - my experience is that other commuters tend to have that same semi-bored state I get into when riding and don't mind a few words. Some seem hard core and are just focused on the ride, which I can respect. For what it's worth, I don't think it is obnoxious or rude, I'm usually riding urban, though. My commute has maybe 30 stop signs/lights, so we tend to bunch up until a long straight.

I haven't run into much hate from other cyclists... I don't usually stick around! I'm long passed them on my mostly straight flat commute for there to be much of any interaction. I was stopped at some road construction the other day, and some roadies finally caught up to me. It was a very pleasant exchange since apparently one of them had seen me in the next town (my commute is 80km a day) so with that distance they all agreed ebike was the only way to fly. I don't have time for any type of ignorance, especially when it comes to something so not important like an electrically assisted bike or not.

Hi All - I've loved following your conversation. I loved the video of your ride you posted @Brambor . I lived in NJ and CT and bicycle commuted through the winter in my teens and 20s, and seeing the early spring scenes and bare trees in your recording brought back great memories. Thanks for that!

I'm a long-time resident of the San Francisco Bay Area now, and commute about 12 miles / day mostly on paved bike paths alongside the Bay. Also beautiful but very different. Here we, um, practically don't have bad weather. Or to be more accurate - even when we're not in a critical drought like now, the big storms that blast in from the Pacific are limited to the winter rainy season, and so well forecast that you can set your watch by them, or by the forecasts at least. We also have few deciduous trees, at least where I live. And of course the "low" temps in winter are in the 50s, or on dreadfully cold days, 40s. :rolleyes: Very different than the East Coast.

I haven't driven to work since I bought an IZIP E3 Dash in April, though I usually work from home 2 days a week. It's so much fun to be back on a bike, and I'm loving the scenery and exercise.

I test-rode a number of bikes and ultimately it was down to two, a nice Stromer and the E3 Dash. I liked the computer and motor control of the Dash much more than the Stromer, which was a surprise since the reviews on the Stromer are so good.

That's probably enough from me... I don't have pictures from my ride, so here's a grab of my route into work.

Bike-CommuteToWork.png

Tried a new route today. Liked it better from a traffic standpoint - here is a track.

I took a GoPro video too. If I can compress it from 42 min to 4 min I'll poster a link tonight.

Not nearly as cool as Chris' or as rustic as Brambor's. :).

Oh and here is the rig with the massive trunk bag (rack time quick release) that replaced the backpack. It's dorky looking but awesome. Change of clothes, work iPad, repair stuff, etc...

image.jpg

Here in Portland OR, the cyclists are arrogant and feel virtuous and entitled - much worse cases of me-me-me-me-me than back in the S.F. Bay Area.

Back