Commuter Log

A short parking lot and time prevented me from getting up to top speed, in top gear, and see how it rides.

I may rent one for an afternoon and take the wife on a long ride. Then I could check it out better.

I was impressed with the quality and integrated design.

I would like to see Court rate the top 10 companies/bikes based solely upon overall quality of workmanship and componentry.

Over priced? yeah, I think it is worth $4000-4500 retail, IMO, but not more. These companies invest lots of R&D dollars and want paid back. Good lithium with a solid BMS is not cheap. For a high end, quality bike, I allow $2k for the bike, $2k for the battery and motor and electronics. That is with profit margin. Accessories and upgrades can up the costs too.

I would like to see Court rate the top 10 companies/bikes based solely upon overall quality of workmanship and componentry.
From the OEM's I have ridden, I would rate the following in order :
Optibike 1100R/850Li, Specialized Turbo, Eflow Nitro, Trek (Bionx), E3 Dash

Those are the bikes I have touched, and rank is based upon quality of components, quality of workmanship and integration. Performance, weight, range, etc is not considered.

Brambor,

I recently posted something on this page and I keep wondering if that was OK? Did you mean this page for commuters in general or as your commuter log. I love the idea either way and I really enjoy reading your about your commuting adventures.

please keep posting here Vern. I look forward to your postings as well as everyone elses commutes.

This my opinion only...the frame bag reminds me of kit bikes where batteries are sometimes stored so I think less stealth factor. Other thoughts?

Thx
Mark
Yeah, these things aren't very common on regular bikes... but they are useful. I'm not sure people would automatically assume you're on an ebike if you had one but they might think you're a little dorky :p

All depends on context with the frame bags: on a tour you could be seen as hardcore weight weenie by slimming down and not using 4 panniers. I've had Tangles on my touring bike for awhile and love them. Just like down tube batteries, cargo weight is better in the middle of the bike. In the city, yeah you might be seen differently.

Maybe I'll put my Tangle and my Viscacha (https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Seat-Bags/Viscacha) on the Turbo and show you what light weight randonneuring looks like on an ebike:).

Downhill Speed: -I don't know why, but I am actually able to go faster downhill on my regular bike. Go figure!
Vern, the slower downhill speed you're experiencing might be due to magnetic resistance in the direct drive hub motor (as the magnets pass the stater they can repel and slow you down, this is called cogging). It's just a guess, do you think that could be the case with your bike? I've heard it's less pronounced when the bike is actually on and if you're throttling or using pedal assist...

Vern, the slower downhill speed you're experiencing might be due to magnetic resistance in the direct drive hub motor (as the magnets pass the stater they can repel and slow you down, this is called cogging). It's just a guess, do you think that could be the case with your bike? I've heard it's less pronounced when the bike is actually on and if you're throttling or using pedal assist...

The Neo Carbon uses a planetary geared hub motor and it just doesn't freewheel like the regular bike. The bearings in the rear hub has to bear the extra mass and the internal gears contribute to this reduced rolling efficiency. I have experienced this on my Jumper as well. It is part of such geared hub motor design. I would guess that it is slightly better in direct drive system but none of them can be compared to regular bike.

For more info on different kinds of motors: http://newwheel.net/electric-bike-basics/electric-bicycle-motor-systems

I'll think on this Bike_On... I've ridden so many different bikes (most for short periods) that it becomes difficult to appreciate the finer points as they drift into the past and I see newer and newer models. Two days ago I spend some more time on the Haibikes and two Lapierre bikes with the Bosch 350 Centerdrive. One of them was a hardtail mountain bike that costs $4,000 (per your pricing allotment) so I'm going to rank that at the top of my list. Next would be the Specialized Turbo, Outrider Alpha 422, Easy Motion Neo 650b Jumper, and the IZIP E3 Dash and Path+ but if you expand to drive systems then BionX would definitely be on the list as well, I really like the SL 350 on the Xtracycle Edgerunner. I'm sure I'm missing some amazing bikes... and I've left out the extremely high end one-off ebikes because they don't seem relevant to the masses. Optibike also makes great stuff I'm just not a huge fan of the throttle only design and louder, slower mid-drive they use.

I took the car 2 days this week and the bike 3. So much for my everyday in May plan, but at least I'm still trying to do my best. It's been close to 100 degrees this week and riding so much is starting to wear on me. I have been getting home and falling asleep way too early. That would be OK, but being a teacher, I still have papers to grade after I get home. I really need that time at night to get things done. I have also been feeling very tired and have started to dread the ride:mad: I don't want to do it so much that I wind up hating it! I use to always look forward to the adventurous ride. Now at times it seems like another difficult task to accomplish. Beside just being tired, another damper was put on my commuting enthusiasm. The last 1-2 miles of my ride is a peaceful bike path away from cars along a creek bed that runs to the ocean. Well now they are updating the path and it is closed!! Dang it. I really look forward to that part of my ride. Now my last mile is on a busy street loaded with parked cars and blind intersections.

On a positive note!! Thursday, one of my driving days, I accidentally left my backpack at work. When I rode my bike on Friday, it was amazing. I had my fastest time yet of only 33 minutes. It was REALLY nice being free of the backpack. I got to work feeling great and I did not have my usual drenched, sweaty back. I don't know how much my backpack weighs, but I noticed every ounce that I wasn't carrying. I need to find a way to lessen the amount of things that I take to and from work. I am usually carrying: two binders, some papers, my charger, bike pump, tube, a few tools, phone, keys,extra clothes, water, and lunch. There are days when I stock up on these things, so I don't always bring each of those items. When I would only ride 1 to 2 days a week, I would stock up on materials with my car so that when I took my bike it would lighten my load. Now that I am trying to bike nearly everyday, I am just trying to manage with carrying what I need in my backpack. I guess I am learning the details of bike commuting. I need to pack smarter, lighter, and consider planning to take my car 1-2 days a week to transport my weekly supplies. I just don't want to have to take my car. I want the bike to be able to replace my car; for the most part anyway. I might just buy a pannier rack. I'm just not sure If I want to go that route. I want to keep my bike as light as possible.

Another great part of commuting this week was my new glasses and rear view mirror. On the recommendations of some of you outstanding people here on EBR, I bought a pair of Tifosi sun glasses(Thanks Ravi) and a Mountain Myyracle(? something like that) mirror. Wow they worked great. The glasses are not as nice as Oakley's, but WAY better that nothing at all, especially since it has been windy and very sunny this week. My mirror has also been great. Wow, I can see what is behind me. It really makes a difference. EVERYONE should get one!!

BTW I think ebikes should have software that allows the user to modify the pedal assist quantities/qualities, maybe via a smartphone app. I also think that you should be able to switch between torque sensing mode and cadence sensing mode. There are time when I would like to do just that.

Last edited:
I took the car 2 days this week and the bike 3. So much for my everyday in May plan, but at least I'm still trying to do my best. It's been close to 100 degrees this week and riding so much is starting to wear on me. I have been getting home and falling asleep way too early. That would be OK, but being a teacher, I still have papers to grade after I get home. I really need that time at night to get things done.

BTW I think ebikes should have software that allows the user to modify the pedal assist quantities/qualities, maybe via a smartphone app. I also think that you should be able to switch between torque sensing mode and cadence sensing mode. There are time when I would like to do just that.
Vern,

I echo some of your concerns. I teach 1st year undergrad chemistry and grading the reports and exams is a real pain in the butt. I have also noticed that I get tired at the end of such long days and want to sleep longer. So, on those days, I just use the Sport mode and on weekends, I try to go on longer rides and improve stamina.

Since the Jumper doesn't come with any rack, I carry my laptop and etc in my backpack and that really adds to the weight. Especially if you're traveling more than 10 miles. This is the exact reason why I was looking into Neo Nitro.

But the good thing is you can add racks to your bike. You may need something like this and a good pannier like Ortleib (waterproof) or Thule. You could carry all your books, laptop, charger, water bottle etc and not be worried about anything.

Also, you can tune the assist level using a Bluetooth controller like this and not worry about just 4 level of assist.

Ravi,
I really like the Tifosi glasses. Thanks for suggesting them? I might try getting a pannier rack for comfort sake. Maybe I can try it and return it if it's not for me.

Pull some strings and get us that Nitro. Ha

I love my carbon by the way. When I took my reg bike a few weeks ago, I really enjoyed the change, but my v-brakes stink. Riding my regular bike made me appreciate many features about my Carbon, including the fantastic brakes. I really feel all ebikes should have hydraulic disk brakes. The extra weight and speed make them a no brainer. One thing I didn't like about the Dash was the brakes. An ebike that fast should have hydraulic.

Last edited:
I'll think on this Bike_On... I've ridden so many different bikes (most for short periods) that it becomes difficult to appreciate the finer points as they drift into the past and I see newer and newer models. Two days ago I spend some more time on the Haibikes and two Lapierre bikes with the Bosch 350 Centerdrive. One of them was a hardtail mountain bike that costs $4,000 (per your pricing allotment) so I'm going to rank that at the top of my list. Next would be the Specialized Turbo, Outrider Alpha 422, Easy Motion Neo 650b Jumper, and the IZIP E3 Dash and Path+ but if you expand to drive systems then BionX would definitely be on the list as well, I really like the SL 350 on the Xtracycle Edgerunner. I'm sure I'm missing some amazing bikes... and I've left out the extremely high end one-off ebikes because they don't seem relevant to the masses. Optibike also makes great stuff I'm just not a huge fan of the throttle only design and louder, slower mid-drive they use.
Court,

It is top 10 , SOLEY upon quality of workmanship and componentry, and not performance, topology, price, or personnal taste. I know, it's hard to be objective if you don't like something.

BTW, OHM uses Bionx, so they could be recommended if you feel they warrant it.

For instance, Currie makes/ownes/sponsors Eflow, IZIP, Haibike, Currie, others? Just within the Currie brands, how do you rank the overall quality of each brand? From there, you could intergate other brands. The selection of components is a big determinate, followed by workmanship, frame and bike material, ruggedness/durability. Just a thought.

Your point about short ride testing is well taken and time errodes the impact. This gets back to the 1-5 rating and most bikes are rated in the 4-5 range. Unless you change the system and re-evaluate, there isn't much to differentiate between the bikes except for the video and pics speaking for themselves. You would have to categorize, and apply some 1-10 scale and give a total. 10 categories, 100 points max....???.. people can get that.

Last edited:
I am using a REI Novara rack mounted pannier. It is sold as a pair (they have hidden rain covers built in) but I have as yet to use both at the same time, one has sufficient room to accommodate my 15" work laptop, a paper notebook, wind jacket, small towel, and lots of smaller items like bike gloves, usb mouse, keys, wallet etc for my daily commute. I tried using a backpack for a few weeks but decided to shift to the pannier finding it more convenient.

specialized-turbo-novara-paniers.jpg pannier-bags-on-specialized-turbo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Stealthy bike w/the bags , I love that! you can put your spare battery in the other bag and just go......

Mark

I am using a REI Novara rack mounted pannier. I tried using a backpack for a few weeks but decided to shift to the pannier finding it more convenient.

Brilliant red/black color combination on your bike. Looks stunning but also makes it look like a exotic high-end piece.

I received my replacement Turbo yesterday. Yay! Hope my son passes his driving test so I could resume my regular commute to work.

Thanks Ravi :). The reds have come out a bit brighter than they really are, especially on the pannier. They no longer come in red though, the current model only sells in a light gray shade.

Last edited:
I received my replacement Turbo yesterday. Yay! Hope my son passes his driving test so I could resume my regular commute to work.

Great news, Brambor.
Finally, good things are beginning to happen.
Thank god for insurance. Did they increase the premium on your new bike?

Back