Commuter Log

My goal is to bike commute at least two days per week. This week I actually accomplished it! Today was awesome. I had my best times yet 37mins to work and 44 mins home. This is honestly only about 15 to 20 minutes longer than it would have taken me in the car. More people should really do this. It'd fun, healthy, better for the roads, environment, and it honestly puts me in a better mood. Only negative is that I am a bit tired and my neck hurts a bit, I'll recover. Happy Easter!

Happy Easter Vern. - You are right. I feel the same way - more people should really do this. It's not much longer than carting your a$$ in a car.

I think Google had their own app that I used on Android and it was pretty good. I have been on Nokia's Window phone for about a year and the free app I found was called Map My Ride. It is so, so. It maps the trip pretty well but the free version did not give me total elevation gain and it did not allow the tracks easily to be uploaded to Google Maps where it could be shared live. I grabbed the maps screen and shared it as an image.

I think Google had their own app that I used on Android and it was pretty good. I have been on Nokia's Window phone for about a year and the free app I found was called Map My Ride. It is so, so. It maps the trip pretty well but the free version did not give me total elevation gain and it did not allow the tracks easily to be uploaded to Google Maps where it could be shared live. I grabbed the maps screen and shared it as an image.

Thanks Brambor, I've never used any mapping apps before, so installed the free version of MapMyRide on my iPhone and it wasn't too bad. I turned it on after leaving work, tried a new route which was longer but along a trail, took a few wrong turns, crossed a few regular bikers along the way, buzzed past one on the uphill and never thought much about the trip. Then I wake up in the morning and have an email from MapMyRide: I've set 2 'Fastest Times' and am 2nd overall on the leader board for a segment of the ride. Maybe I am reading all of this wrong and of-course I was on an ebike but still could not help laughing at myself. All in a days work for the Turbo :).

Map_My_Ride_Jwd_4-21-14.JPG

Last edited:
wow nice. :) My app doesn't do that. I'll check into it again and see if I want to pay for subscription to get more out of it.

Yeah, that's pretty awesome jwdkhan! The app is gamified and it sounds like you're about to set all kinds of records with the Turbo :cool:

Today I blasted the entire ride in the highest gear. One day I will do it like James all the way with minimal assist. :)

I have completed my 4th week commuting with close to 400 miles on the odometer. It is a joy every time I am on the bike. I am incredibly happy I have made this decision and a committment to ditch the car whenever possible in favor of self powered transportation.

I have added 4 extra miles to my return trip today just because I did not want it to end.

Tomorrow I am embarking on a short 4 day trip to attend a wedding. I am already missing my bike.

I'm thinking about getting panniers and a rack for my Neo Carbon. I don't mind the back pack but it makes my back very sweaty. Thoughts?? I have included a description below. I used to think racks looked dorky, but it may make commuting even more practical. advice??

Ibera PakRak Bicycle Touring Carrier Plus+ IB-RA4 - Carries up to 25 kg (55 lb), Reflector attachable, TIG-welded, heat-treated, anodized aluminum. Compatible with Ibera trunk bags, side Pannier bags and eco-friendly reusable bags.

I'm sort of lukewarm about my bike rack and panniers, only because it seems to introduce unnecessary additional weight for the amount of stuff I usually carry. I'm thinking about removing the bike rack and only install it if I'm really going on a long trip.

I just ordered this frame bag today. I think it will allow me to carry most of the stuff I usually bring with me.

I have completed my 4th week commuting with close to 400 miles on the odometer. It is a joy every time I am on the bike. I am incredibly happy I have made this decision and a committment to ditch the car whenever possible in favor of self powered transportation.
I have added 4 extra miles to my return trip today just because I did not want it to end.
Tomorrow I am embarking on a short 4 day trip to attend a wedding. I am already missing my bike.

Slowly, every biker/ebiker develops a bond that is very very strong. Can totally relate to your situation.

My profile pic is just that.

ebikes.jpg

It says: When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. Liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent. My bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we shall conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

I like that Ravi! Though, I sort of feel like I'm at a wedding listening to vows :p

Last week was 0 miles commuting for me. For starters I was attending a wedding from Saturday until Tuesday. A combination of Montezuma revenge, nasty weather and work committments saw me off the bike until this Saturday. I'm sort of home alone. Had to take care of a lot of errands but around 2pm when schedule opened up I biked to town (13 miles), had me a delicious yellow curry/tofu soup and stopped at work to hide from rainfall. Now I think it stopped raining. I'm going to finish this post and head out home. Cheers.

specialized-turbo-commuting.jpg

My new frame bag is awesome.

The frame bag is pretty sick, I also love yellow curry and tofu soup... Good taste all around Brambor ;) where did you get the frame bag and what was it called? Reminds me of the one I got for the LEED kit (last picture towards the end of the post).

This my opinion only...the frame bag reminds me of kit bikes where batteries are sometimes stored so I think less stealth factor. Other thoughts?

Thx
Mark

Back