Cold Weather Biking and Batteries...

Rob Bay

One thing I hate about winter and e-biking is the cold. I commute every day back and forth to work for a total of about 12 miles a day. Although it does not snow in South Louisiana often but it does get down into the teens and 20's fairly often throughout the winter. Another thing about below 70 degree weather is battery performance. I notice the decreased lack of range and speed especially below 60 degrees. Not sure how everyone deals with this in the northern climates where it snows a lot but I came up with a solution that I am going to test out in the next couple weeks. After some research I ended up convincing myself to order some low-voltage carbon-fiber heating pads. They run off a 5v/2a 18650 rechargeable battery pack. I figure I will sew a couple pads into an insulated blanket/wrap and then wrap this thing around my down-tube battery. I found one with a 3/way power setting so I can adjust it according to the temperature outside. I figure if I can keep the battery about 70-75 degrees that will be perfect.

I also found a 5-pad set designed for heated jackets, vests, etc. on ebay for less than $10. Riding at 20-30mph in 30 degree weather need not be this cold. Thoughts, suggestions anyone? Thanks!

I bike commute around the same daily mileage for the last 2 years in New Mexico. It will be in the low/mid 20s this week with afternoon in the 50s. I keep my ebike in a warm(ish) garage at home and in my server room next to my office at work. I added a Luna Cycle triangle bag to my Radrover and those steps seem to keep my range/power consistent during my to/from work commutes all year.

The triangle bag is large enough for me to add extra insulation or microwaveable heating pads or connect a USB heater to the USB port on the battery pack if I wanted. I find my range is effected more when I get spring time headwinds of +20 mph compared to temps below freezing.

These batteries hate low temps both when discharging and when charging. Most electric cars have battery heaters to keep them warm in cold weather. I fly RC models with Lithium batteries and I first noticed this many years ago when flying in winter. I learned to keep my batteries warm before flying and to wrap some foam insulation around them when flying so that their self heating would keep them warm.

I find the reduced battery capacity matches my reduced riding ability in cold weather. If the need arises. I carry a spare battery.

One thing I hate about winter and e-biking is the cold. I commute every day back and forth to work for a total of about 12 miles a day. Although it does not snow in South Louisiana often but it does get down into the teens and 20's fairly often throughout the winter. Another thing about below 70 degree weather is battery performance. I notice the decreased lack of range and speed especially below 60 degrees. Not sure how everyone deals with this in the northern climates where it snows a lot but I came up with a solution that I am going to test out in the next couple weeks. After some research I ended up convincing myself to order some low-voltage carbon-fiber heating pads. They run off a 5v/2a 18650 rechargeable battery pack. I figure I will sew a couple pads into an insulated blanket/wrap and then wrap this thing around my down-tube battery. I found one with a 3/way power setting so I can adjust it according to the temperature outside. I figure if I can keep the battery about 70-75 degrees that will be perfect.

I also found a 5-pad set designed for heated jackets, vests, etc. on ebay for less than $10. Riding at 20-30mph in 30 degree weather need not be this cold. Thoughts, suggestions anyone? Thanks!

Interesting idea. Let us know how it works out.

Some electric cars use heating mats to keep batteries warm so the idea has merit. It's a tricky balance because the heating elements can consume the wattage gained by the higher battery temperature. Trial and error is about the only way to see if it's practical. The alternative is to carry a spare battery.

Wrapping a heating blanket around your pack is a great idea. You need to get your pack up to temp before you ride. Optimum performance for a lipo is 84 to 104 deg. F so 70 deg is less than optimum. It's best to bring your pack into the house and keep it in a warm place. Wrap it in a heating pad, ( a back warmer works good ) for a few hours before you ride.

Note that Lithium ion batteries should not be charged near freezing (32F), per Battery University. Storage and use is OK, but they have to be warm for charging. I did a ride over the weekend when it was right at 32F and charged my battery when I got home. The internal temperature might have been around 40F from self heating so maybe I got away with it.

I don't remember the maker but remember seeing one bike that had a vinyl cover for cold weather riding that zipped over the battery. This would be a great accessory for someone to offer.

I don't think a vinyl cover is going to do much for an already cold battery. If you heat your pack up before you ride, then a cover might help a little.

The one I saw was made to fit around the battery while ON the bike making the interior temp go up a bit as it kept the wind off of it while riding. It was in one of Court's reviews and when I saw it thought it was a good idea if you ride in the cold.

Back