Coasting on Allant 8S+ and different controllers

Buckshot 28

New to the forum and was wondering if all ebikes or just the Allant 8 s is such a slow coaster, with lots of resistance? I am also wondering about the controller , my cell phone really doesn't fit and Iam annoyed that Trek doesn't puta computer on the bike that tracks ride and odometer.

My Allant+7 coasts like a dream.
Thanks, my bike seems so slow when you try to coast on flat ground or just pedal with no assist. Love the bike , we are just learning the nuances of them. We live on some super steep roads in western NC , so lots of extremes. Thanks

Thanks, my bike seems so slow when you try to coast on flat ground or just pedal with no assist. Love the bike , we are just learning the nuances of them. We live on some super steep roads in western NC , so lots of extremes. Thanks
I do run my SCHWALBE G-One tires at 45 psi, which is on the high end for that tire.

I have the Allant 9.9 and no problems with coasting. Have you checked for brake drag? On the kickstand, push the bike over to the left slightly, just enough to get the rear wheel off the ground. Then crank the pedal till the rear wheel is spinning fast. Do you hear any rubbing or rhythmic noise? The wheel should keep spinning, loosing velocity slowly and spin up to a minute or more. There are some good youtube videos on how to adjust disc brakes. It seems my brakes rub and need adjustment every time I remove and replace the rear wheel.

The Purion computer tracks both, what does the 8 come with?
Hello, it comes with the Smartphone hub and Cobi app. My phone is just being held on there by a thread and is not worth the risk of it falling off. Plus I enjoy riding and not having all the other stuff of phone calls, etc. To me Trek should have made the Smartphone hub have the basics of the typical odo. trip. Thanks

I have the Allant 9.9 and no problems with coasting. Have you checked for brake drag? On the kickstand, push the bike over to the left slightly, just enough to get the rear wheel off the ground. Then crank the pedal till the rear wheel is spinning fast. Do you hear any rubbing or rhythmic noise? The wheel should keep spinning, loosing velocity slowly and spin up to a minute or more. There are some good youtube videos on how to adjust disc brakes. It seems my brakes rub and need adjustment every time I remove and replace the rear wheel.
Hi Alaskan, I have not checked for brake drag, this feels like it is coming from the motor and when there is power our bike do make a whirring noise when you pedal. I assume it may be the nature of the motor to make a little noise. Everything seems to run well. I am an old road biker and I may be hypercritical to all the little nuances. I really miss the lightness of my road and mtn frames, but due to some health issues I can't provide the needed propulsion without a little boost. We came up hill so steep last night that it really strained the bikes to get up it. I have seen you have had multiple controllers/ bikes, any thoughts on changing the Smarthub out to another computer. Thanks so much.

Hi Alaskan, I have not checked for brake drag, this feels like it is coming from the motor and when there is power our bike do make a whirring noise when you pedal. I assume it may be the nature of the motor to make a little noise. Everything seems to run well. I am an old road biker and I may be hypercritical to all the little nuances. I really miss the lightness of my road and mtn frames, but due to some health issues I can't provide the needed propulsion without a little boost. We came up hill so steep last night that it really strained the bikes to get up it. I have seen you have had multiple controllers/ bikes, any thoughts on changing the Smarthub out to another computer. Thanks so much.
I recently got a quote to change my Purion to a Kiox and the “kit” plus install was $300-$320.

There is no drag caused by the new or even the older Bosch motors when coasting. About the only things that could cause sluggish coasting is rubbing brakes or under inflated, or very aggressive, knobby tires.

As to displays, I am totally underwhelmed by the smartphone hub. Given people's addictions to their phones, I get why Bosch makes this option. Frankly too many stories of screws coming loose and phone flying off bikes. Also, as a retired professional mariner, I prefer dedicated devices for navigation rather than adapting computers for the purpose. The Nyon is top of the list for me. I have the Gen 1 Nyon on all my bikes. It is head and shoulders the best bike display, navigator, integrated info device available.

20200413_133720.jpg

Last edited:
I went from a carbon fiber road bike to an Allant+ 7S. I was worried about the Allant feeling like a log wagon compared to what i was used to. Coasts' just as good as my road bike, maybe even better down hill. I was pleasantly surprised how good it moves along without assist on level ground or down grades. I keep my tires at the upper end, around 50 PSI.

There is no drag caused by the new or even the older Bosch motors when coasting. About the only things that could cause sluggish coasting is rubbing brakes or under inflated, or very aggressive, knobby tires.

As to displays, I am totally underwhelmed by the smartphone hub. Given people's addictions to their phones, I get why Bosch make this option. Frankly too many stories of screws coming loose and phone flying off bikes. Also, as a retired professional mariner, I prefer dedicated devices for navigation rather than adapting computers for the purpose. The Nyon is top of the list for me. I have the Gen 1 Nyon on all my bikes. It is head and shoulders the best bike display, navigator, integrate info device available.

View attachment 69878
Thanks Alaskan, I checked the brakes and pressures and they are good. I will think about changing the computer or go to a Garmin type so I can go between bikes. Thanks to everyone else who has responded to my thread .

Hello, it comes with the Smartphone hub and Cobi app
I'm not familiar with that one but I would be concerned about my phone as well. In fact I have read other comments about it. I didn't realize there was no independent controller. That would be a bummer. Some have upgraded to the Nyon but that is not inexpensive. I'm considering it myself if I can talk myself into spending the money!

New to the forum and was wondering if all ebikes or just the Allant 8 s is such a slow coaster, with lots of resistance? I am also wondering about the controller , my cell phone really doesn't fit and Iam annoyed that Trek doesn't puta computer on the bike that tracks ride and odometer.
I have no problem coasting in my allant8s and I run my tires at a relatively low 38psi.

As others have mentioned check for brake rub or have your lbs check them for you. There are other variables that could be at play such as knobby tires, wrong seating position that prevents full leg extension when pedaling thus reducing speed before coasting, seasonal strong headwinds in your preferred riding area ,rider weight, unrealistic expectations for a PAS bicycle.

Coasting friction can also be caused by failing hub bearings. A shop can check and service your rear hub bearings in about a half hour.

Hi Alaskan, I have checked all the suggested problems and they all check out ok. As I said at first it may be my perceptions of the bike after 45 yrs. of riding light weight rd. and mtn. bikes. We also live in an area that is steep, so that definitely affects the the riding and the battery use . Thanks again for your help. Take Care, John

I also have an Allant 9.9s. Perhaps 8 yrs past on my acoustic Giant CoMax I regularly hit 41mph on a local hill, though not without a bit of trepidation with the 3rd class road and 28mm tires. Now with the Allant I push hard as I can on the long decline rock solid on the 2.0 tires, then I duck under the wind with the sharp short drop off. Here is the speed but I have not managed more than 35mph. I wouldn’t blame ‘the coasting’, more likely the gear ratios but that subject is beyond my pay grade.

Back