Class 2 Bike Suggestions - $2000 to $4000 Range

Tstallings1009

Region
USA
City
Sherwood
I'm an experienced trail rider looking for a bike for moderate to easy trails. Looked at the Luna and Frey bikes but wondering if there are any other competitors I should be scoping out that cost slightly less.

Wanting a throttle but not planning on using it a ton. Just want it for when I get tired at the end of the ride and want to puss out the last couple miles to camp.

Help.

Bikes Direct has several models that might fit your needs that use the same Bafang motors as LUNA and Frey at a cheaper price.

I'm an experienced trail rider looking for a bike for moderate to easy trails. Looked at the Luna and Frey bikes but wondering if there are any other competitors I should be scoping out that cost slightly less.

Wanting a throttle but not planning on using it a ton. Just want it for when I get tired at the end of the ride and want to puss out the last couple miles to camp.

Help.
Welcome aboard!

Others can help with bike options. Just want to point out that a throttle is a versatile riding tool with many uses beyond just relieving you of pedaling duty. Don't use mine for that purpose but would hate to part with it nonetheless.

For example, with a 1-second burst of throttle you can...
o Start easily on a hill — especially when you unexpectedly find yourself in too high a gear
o Squirt through a busy intersection
o Move quickly from bike lane to left turn lane
o Take instant evasive action
o Ride up and over a root, rock, or other short step-up without changing gears or assist level
o Unload your chain to downshift on a steep climb with minimal loss of speed

These are a just a few of the handy uses I've found, and I always pedal. The last applies only to rear hub-drives.

Are there other ways to accomplish these things? Of course. But most are less convenient and some require lead-time you may not have.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

Others can help with bike options. Just want to point out that a throttle is a versatile riding tool with many uses beyond just relieving you of pedaling duty. Don't use mine for that purpose but would hate to part with it nonetheless.

For example, with a 1-second burst of throttle you can...
o Start easily on a hill — especially when you unexpectedly find yourself in too high a gear
o Squirt through a busy intersection
o Move quickly from bike lane to left turn lane
o Take instant evasive action
o Ride up and over a root, rock, or other short step-up without changing gears or assist level
o Unload your chain to downshift on a steep climb without losing speed

These are a just a few of the handy uses I've found, and I always pedal. The last applies only to rear hub-drives.

Are there other ways to accomplish these things? Of course. But most are less convenient and some require lead-time you may not have.

Good luck!
Funny - A lot of your points are reasons I want that throttle as well! Thank you for your input :)

Was hoping to see other model options. I'm finding it really hard to look through models, as the class level is not often specified. Sometimes maximum assist speed is, but not that often either.

Does a mid-drive motor automatically mean no throttle?

Was hoping to see other model options. I'm finding it really hard to look through models, as the class level is not often specified. Sometimes maximum assist speed is, but not that often either.

Does a mid-drive motor automatically mean no throttle?
Most mid-drives don't come with throttles. Others can point you to some of the better exceptions.

Exasperating finding clear, reliable ebike specs online, isn't it? If a site offers full specs (many don't), that's your best bet.

A throttleless Class 1 ebike will maximize trail access, but all ebikes are banned on some trails — e.g., in many state and national parks. All other things being equal, adding a throttle would bump a Class I ebike to Class 2 and remove some trail access. But you'd still have access to many trails and most if not all MUPs here in coastal SoCal. In California, Class 3 removes most if not all legal trail access and probably most legal MUP access as well.

To complicate matters, many ebikes delivered as Class 2 can easily be reprogrammed for max assisted speeds above the 20 mph limit in Classes 1 and 2. And some ebikes (mostly hub-drives) that would otherwise be Class 3 are being sold with throttles, putting them outside the class system.

All of this makes class stickers nearly meaningless for enforcement purposes. Per my LBS owner, who sells ebikes exclusively, class-related enforcement here in coastal SoCal is pretty uncommon. According to him, if you go out of your way to respect the rights and safety of other trail/MUP users, your chance of getting stopped around here is close to nil.

Saw a Cannondale Adventure Neo AllRoad today at the shop. Thumb throttle. Looks promising.

I have two 2016 4" fat tire Radrovers with around 4000 miles on each ebike. I do a mix of work commuting, weekend fun rides with spouse, and single track riding. I love having a throttle for all the reason listed above. I had a few occasions when I needed to push my +70lbs ebike up a flight of stairs and it was so easy with the throttle. I also had a few wipe-outs on single track and was unable to pedal because of bike damage; but, was able to get the +10 miles home with throttle only.

I'm doing similar research and leaning hard towards $2400 Himiway Cobra 750w hub drive or $4000 Cobra Pro 1000w mid drive. It has a torque sensor, 20ah battery, 60-80 mile range, full suspension, 400lbs capacity, and throttle. I'm 6'3" and 290lbs (+325lbs in full near freezing winter commuter gear with backpack) and a lot of ebikes are too small and not enough capacity for me. Himiway does have other hardtail fat tire ebikes with similar capabilities.

This new bike from e cell looks very nice it’s very similar to the Wired Freedom but around $500 less as shipping and tax is included.

40 MPH top speed. Does it require a license to operate? Should it require a license to operate? Should a bike capable of 40mph be allowed on bike paths/recreational trails?

Back