City alternative for ebike Bontrager E6 tires

amine

Region
Africa
Hi EBRers, I did a research around the Treks Bontrager E6 700x50mm ebike tires alternatives but I am completely lost to what would be a good one to replace my worn tires with

I have a Verve + 3 ebike and mainly use it for city tours, Bontragers are not available in my country, and I am not able to order them online either as most sellers don't ship where I am.

I do have access tl Schwalbe and some other brands I was able to find on Amazon, I am just not sure if I can use smaller ones than 50mm, and if ebike requires specific ones or any one would do fine for city tours ?

Thanks

Shwalbe make many tires that are rated for ebikes. I am not at my bike’s location right now, but I am pretty sure I have put Schwalbe tires on it as narrow as 42 x 700

Shwalbe make many tires that are rated for ebikes. I am not at my bike’s location right now, but I am pretty sure I have put Schwalbe tires on it as narrow as 42 x 700
If 700x42 can go on it then that def gives me options, is there any specific recommendation only riding on city bitumen ?
Many thanks

If 700x42 can go on it then that def gives me options, is there any specific recommendation only riding on city bitumen ?
Many thanks
I have Schwalbe Super Moto-X on my GoCycle. The 2.4 are pretty much the same width as the Marathons I have on the Verve +3, and they have a good all-round city tread. The 27.5 x 2.4 should fit.

I have Schwalbe Super Moto-X on my GoCycle. The 2.4 are pretty much the same width as the Marathons I have on the Verve +3, and they have a good all-round city tread. The 27.5 x 2.4 should fit.

Those I believe will do the job, I am just not sure about the size it is only spzcified in inch whereas mine are in mm. Ive read somewhere that verve +3 can take max 700x50mm which is

700x50c (which is a measurement in millimeters) equates to around 27 ½ inches by 2 inches, no 2.4 ?

Will that be an issue ?

Hi EBRers, I did a research around the Treks Bontrager E6 700x50mm ebike tires alternatives but I am completely lost to what would be a good one to replace my worn tires with

I have a Verve + 3 ebike and mainly use it for city tours, Bontragers are not available in my country, and I am not able to order them online either as most sellers don't ship where I am.

I do have access tl Schwalbe and some other brands I was able to find on Amazon, I am just not sure if I can use smaller ones than 50mm, and if ebike requires specific ones or any one would do fine for city tours ?

Thanks
The direct replacement is Specialized Electrak 2.0 Armadillo tyre. Not sure if you can order it from your country.
700x50c (which is a measurement in millimeters) equates to around 27 ½ inches by 2 inches, no 2.4 ?
Your tyres should be 29 x 2.0" (ETRTO size 50-622).

You could try Schwalbe Smart Sam in the ETRTO size 47-622 (700x47c). These are a little bit narrower but manageable.

On Stefan aboves advice I went from hardy but heavy and dull feeling Marathon Plus city tyres to Specialized Pathfinder Pro gravel tyres.

I've found them most agreeable after 12 months of all weather asphalt commuting (it was pouring rain today). I run them tubeless. The feel is great, no punctures so far. I've tried a couple of others in the class but the Pathfinders have been my standout.

They're a smaller 42mm tyre which could be an issue if sand or snow is a regular feature in your riding though. Pricey too.

On Stefan aboves advice I went from hardy but heavy and dull feeling Marathon Plus city tyres to Specialized Pathfinder Pro gravel tyres.

I've found them most agreeable after 12 months of all weather asphalt commuting (it was pouring rain today). I run them tubeless. The feel is great, no punctures so far. I've tried a couple of others in the class but the Pathfinders have been my standout.

They're a smaller 42mm tyre which could be an issue if sand or snow is a regular feature in your riding though. Pricey too.
The issue is any model of tyres comes in some sizes only and Pathfinder is far away from 50-622.

The direct replacement is Specialized Electrak 2.0 Armadillo tyre. Not sure if you can order it from your country.

Your tyres should be 29 x 2.0" (ETRTO size 50-622).

You could try Schwalbe Smart Sam in the ETRTO size 47-622 (700x47c). These are a little bit narrower but manageable.
Very clear, will ask local dealers and see if any online ones deliver there internationally to my country

Schwalbe smart sam could do it too, I dont mind narrower and Tteks website says "maximum is 700x50" so should be fine

Many thanks

Schwalbe smart sam could do it too, I dont mind narrower and Tteks website says "maximum is 700x50" so should be fine
It is ideal if you could get the new tyres in the same size but the 3 mm discrepancy is not dramatic.

+1 I got caught in VERY HEAVY rains this morning on my Pathfinder Pro tires. I had many concerns including lightning, wind, and hail....but the tires did a superb job of getting me home.

Thanks
Schwalbes are great city/e-bike tires, with typically good puncture resistance. I personally prefer narrower where possible, for the lower weight, but that’s just me. And I try to pick lower rolling resistance tires, for the easier pedaling and range.

+1 I got caught in VERY HEAVY rains this morning on my Pathfinder Pro tires. I had many concerns including lightning, wind, and hail....but the tires did a superb job of getting me home.
I'd love to have them in 47-622. I had to change my excellent Specialized Electrak for my heavy Vado to Smart Sams because Electraks (which are excellent on any pavement -- dry or wet) appeared inadequate off-road :( Smart Sams are very good but become noisy at high speed on the pavement and unfortunately they fail with any kind of "powder" on road, be it shallow sand or ground fine gravel.

@sanyata: I feel crestfallen. No PP 2Bliss in size 47-622 available in Europe! Neither Specialized online store nor German online stores! Maybe next year!

It is ideal if you could get the new tyres in the same size but the 3 mm discrepancy is not dramatic.
Absolutely worth checking comparability with your LBS, but there's usually a lot more than 3mm to play with. For example, my bike came with 700x45 tyres. I've run everything from 700x32 to my current 700x42 with no issues.

If I'm reading the spec right, the Verve+3 interior rim width is 20mm. That gives it theoretical latitude to handle tyres from about 32 - 50mm in width, which opens up a wealth of other tyre options. 50mm may end up being the maximum for this rim.

@mfgrep rain is a matter of clothing but lightning... eek! It's hard to feel more vulnerable than on a bike in a lightning storm. Haven't had the pleasure of hail yet but sounds like an experience - I'll add it to the bucket list.

@amine EBR doesn't have many members from Africa. We'd love to hear your experiences riding in that part of the world. Feel free to post some words or pics if you're comfortable in this thread.

Last edited:
Back