Studded tire

Eric0976

Region
USA
Hello there,
After a recent crash on black ice, my quest for proper studded tires has begun. I have a Priority Current ebike (60lbs with all gear on) current equipped with Goodyear Transit Tour 650b 50mm tires. I can't go above a 50mm/2in width for the tires, which severely limits my choice. Basically I could only find one type of tire: Gravdal 650b 38mm tires (https://www.45nrth.com/products/gravdal#/). I am afraid that these are too thin though. Any thoughts?

I like the tires that you linked, but that takes true dedication to ride on ice! I suppose $175 per tire is an order of magnitude less than an injury fall.
My town in the PNW usually gets about a week or two of ice a year. So I'll continue to live by a rule that I learned by doing -- "Don't ride on ice!".
If my climatic situation should change I'd be tempted to buy a set of wheels with studded 700x38's. That would be a hoot!

There is $95 version if you scroll the menu. That's what I would buy. The main issue for me is that I have uneven conditions on my commute because I gain quite a bit of elevation and some parts of the route are more wet and ice prone than others. So even on a no-ice day where I live, there may be ice later.

I like the tires that you linked, but that takes true dedication to ride on ice! I suppose $175 per tire is an order of magnitude less than an injury fall.
My town in the PNW usually gets about a week or two of ice a year. So I'll continue to live by a rule that I learned by doing -- "Don't ride on ice!".
If my climatic situation should change I'd be tempted to buy a set of wheels with studded 700x38's. That would be a hoot!
Here ya go

If you want to get REAL serious like I did you can poke these into the pockets along the outer treads

Hello there,
After a recent crash on black ice, my quest for proper studded tires has begun. I have a Priority Current ebike (60lbs with all gear on) current equipped with Goodyear Transit Tour 650b 50mm tires. I can't go above a 50mm/2in width for the tires, which severely limits my choice. Basically I could only find one type of tire: Gravdal 650b 38mm tires (https://www.45nrth.com/products/gravdal#/). I am afraid that these are too thin though. Any thoughts?
I had a set of 26 x 2.0 Gravdals on my vintage Trek 970 before selling that bike. Those tires got me through most of my first season of winter riding and although they can’t compare to the traction that I get from the Schwalbe ISPs, they were pretty decent. I think you should be fine with them if it's just black ice that you're concerned about.

IMG_20201026_1801309.jpg

What about the Kahvas? A 27.5” tire would be equivalent to your 650b and would add a bit more meat to your ride. Same 240 stud count as the Gravdals.

https://www.rei.com/product/159915/45nrth-kahva-studded-commuter-tire-275-x-21-29-x-225

I had a set of 26 x 2.0 Gravdals on my vintage Trek 970 before selling that bike. Those tires got me through most of my first season of winter riding and although they can’t compare to the traction that I get from the Schwalbe ISPs, they were pretty decent. I think you should be fine with them if it's just black ice that you're concerned about.

View attachment 141942

What about the Kahvas? A 27.5” tire would be equivalent to your 650b and would add a bit more meat to your ride. Same 240 stud count as the Gravdals.

https://www.rei.com/product/159915/45nrth-kahva-studded-commuter-tire-275-x-21-29-x-225
Kahvas is 2.1-in. wide. It is going to rub against the fenders I was told by Priority. Could remove the front fender but not the back (integrated light).
Gravdals does not exist in 2in for 27.5in tires

Kahvas is 2.1-in. wide. It is going to rub against the fenders I was told by Priority. Could remove the front fender but not the back (integrated light).
Gravdals does not exist in 2in for 27.5in tires
I guess there’s always going to be a compromise. Fewer studs but your preferred fitment. It appears that you could add more studs to the other blocks. Pretty easy to do with a stud kit.

I guess there’s always going to be a compromise. Fewer studs but your preferred fitment. It appears that you could add more studs to the other blocks. Pretty easy to do with a stud kit.

Thanks

In my experience back in Alaska and here in Hood River, OR Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro's are hands down the best and most aggressive. I've got some Kahva's on the way to try out but they're only 27.5x2.1 so quite a bit narrower which would be worse in snow. Granted the studs don't get used much but it means I can leave the car at home year round and still get some saddle time with peace of mind in terms of traction.

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_092346_01.jpg
    IMG_20210213_092346_01.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 112
Again, not every tire measures exact to the number. Depending on tread height they could clear. Just because it says 53mm doesn't mean it's going to measure out to 53mm...

I find the 2.25” studded ISPs do diddly squat in snow deeper than a few inches or on softer brown sugar unless there is significant base for the studs to bite into. That goes without saying for most narrower tires. One would have to upgrade to a studded fattie to make any sort of headway. However, on hard pack or on sheer ice they are incredibly stable. The key is to avoid leaning as lateral forces on the tire will counteract the contact patch and the tire couldl slip out from under you. Running a tire with a higher stud count is almost always going to give you an upper hand on ice with slightly lower tire pressure for better contact. Oddly the ISPs are available in a 2.6 for a 27.5” rim but not for 29ers.

On previous and current winter setups, I’ve ridden on 2” Gravdals, 2.6” Wrathchilds and 2.25” ISPs.

IMG_20210219_0839589.jpg
I loved the meatier Wrathchilds but the ISPs with almost 40% more studs on a 29er I found to be vastly superior on ice as their pointed spikes really dig in. I do give up a few studs on the 27.5” rear wheel of my mullet though.

The studded tire review below gave the Wrathchilds a solid recommendation with the ISP coming in a close second. However, the ISPs tested were the 27.5 x 2.6” versions with fewer studs. Even with proper bedding I still lost quite a few on the Wrathchilds which prompted me to switch over to the ISPs. In terms of price point, I believe the ISPs can be a much cheaper alternative to the 45North tires when appropriately cross shopped. Most recently, a 27.5 x 2.25 ISP set me back about $60 Cdn.

Hello there,
After a recent crash on black ice, my quest for proper studded tires has begun. I have a Priority Current ebike (60lbs with all gear on) current equipped with Goodyear Transit Tour 650b 50mm tires. I can't go above a 50mm/2in width for the tires, which severely limits my choice. Basically I could only find one type of tire: Gravdal 650b 38mm tires Kodi nox. I am afraid that these are too thin though. Any thoughts?
I think you can go with them carefully

Last edited:
Back