Choosing advice

Jim Mass

We are two retired gents. I am age 74, 6 feet tall, 240 pounds (or so) with a herniated disk (L5). My friend is 6'3", 200 pounds with a bad knee. I'm riding a 24 speed "Diamond Back Response Sport" (20 inch frame) with "50/50" tires. He a 7 speed "Fuji". We ride paved bike paths away from traffic in North San Diego 10- 15 miles once or twice a week and plan to keep riding well into our '80's. Stamina is the issue and pedal assist e-bikes are our future if we want to keep riding. We are looking for "cruiser" type PAS with throttle. We have rented a Pedego Interceptor step-thru , Magnum cruiser and Metro step-thru , and will ride RAD city next week. Bike Budget started out at $1,500 plus new e-bike carriers. We have increased to $2,200 close to the top

Pedego says their battery is better than Magnums because its made in South Korea and Magnums is made in China?? Pedego says their warranty is better?? As we compare models many seem almost identical except for battery chemistry??

So far we like the Magnum cruiser (76" length ) and the Pedego Interceptor (74"). The Magnum at $2,099 is at the high end of each of our budget's. Is there any other make that we should consider that can be rented in Orange or San Diego counties that's in our price range?

Thanks to all for your advice.

Juiced bikes Ocean Current is a bike you should look at. Price point starts at $1399, and you can more than double the size of the battery for another $500 which still puts it below the price of most of the others you are looking at. Certainly worth a look.

Juiced bikes Ocean Current is a bike you should look at. Price point starts at $1399, and you can more than double the size of the battery for another $500 which still puts it below the price of most of the others you are looking at. Certainly worth a look.

And they're located in Chula Vista. Sounds like that would be close by. I have the Crosscurrent S, but if you liked the Interceptor, I'd agree with Chris about the Ocean Current. (My wife likes her Pedego City Commuter but it's considerably more expensive than the budget you mentioned. Definitely go for the largest battery you can afford, you won't be sorry!

We are two retired gents. I am age 74, 6 feet tall, 240 pounds (or so) with a herniated disk (L5). My friend is 6'3", 200 pounds with a bad knee. I'm riding a 24 speed "Diamond Back Response Sport" (20 inch frame) with "50/50" tires. He a 7 speed "Fuji". We ride paved bike paths away from traffic in North San Diego 10- 15 miles once or twice a week and plan to keep riding well into our '80's. Stamina is the issue and pedal assist e-bikes are our future if we want to keep riding. We are looking for "cruiser" type PAS with throttle. We have rented a Pedego Interceptor step-thru , Magnum cruiser and Metro step-thru , and will ride RAD city next week. Bike Budget started out at $1,500 plus new e-bike carriers. We have increased to $2,200 close to the top

Pedego says their battery is better than Magnums because its made in South Korea and Magnums is made in China?? Pedego says their warranty is better?? As we compare models many seem almost identical except for battery chemistry??

So far we like the Magnum cruiser (76" length ) and the Pedego Interceptor (74"). The Magnum at $2,099 is at the high end of each of our budget's. Is there any other make that we should consider that can be rented in Orange or San Diego counties that's in our price range?

Thanks to all for your advice.
It doesn't matter where the battery packs come from - it matters if quality cells are used in the battery packs Reputable Chinese suppliers use good batteries (but beware of buying cheap replacement battery packs from China as they are often reconditioned/relabelled/used and won't deliver nominal rated power). I have a Pedego dealer near me and when compared to direct-sales bikes (Rad/Juiced/Biktrix/M2S/Voltbike/Evelo etc), they offer inferior bikes at inflated prices. I don't think they offer value for money.

I would factor in the higher cost for a platform bike carrier if overall budget includes bike, accessories, and rack. Hard to find an rear hub ebike that doesn't weight +60 lbs out the box and 65-75 lbs if you start to add accessories like rack, panniers, locks, tools, flat kits, etc.... Life was 10X easier when I switched to my Saris Freedom Superclamp 4 with extra large trays for my Radrover 4" fat tires compared to having my Softride Dura 4 swing down hanging bike rack. Much easier and takes less time to lift and secure on a platform rack.

Just have to look at the secure point on the rack to make sure the ebike's fenders will not be in the way or if you need a top bar to secure if you decide on a step-thru design.

If you could stretch your budget, Townie Go with Bosch mid-drive is probably the best cruiser on the market.

Except the OP indicated wanting a throttle, which Bosch drives do not have.

I third(?) the Juiced bike OceanCurrent recommendation. With the super long wheelbase, I bet it is super comfortable to ride. As for beyond budget, the Elby intrigues me, but I am a sucker for funky designs.

Look at the Biktrix Stunner. Powerful mid-drive with throttle. $1999.

https://www.biktrix.com/collections/bikes/products/biktrix-stunner?variant=54785500117

If you could stretch your budget, Townie Go with Bosch mid-drive is probably the best cruiser on the market. Great warranty from one of the top drive systems in the industry. Townie is a Trek brand, test rides and service after sale won't be an issue.

http://www.electrabike.com/go/

https://electricbikereview.com/electra/townie-go/
Love this! This man is my inspiration!

Last edited:
While they're not in the "neighborhood", you could check out the E-Glide ST at their store in Santa Monica. While it doesn't have the swept back handlebars like a normal cruiser, they do offer a Handlebar Riser option to give you a more upright riding position. You can check out a user review in the E-Glide forum.

I also second the recommendation of @mrgold35 regarding going with a platform bike carrier. The Saris Freedom SuperClamp EX 2 Bike Platform Rack is one I'm looking at after getting warned a couple of weeks ago by the local PD about my "empty" hanging Yakima rack blocking my license plate. The Saris folded up would not block it. Loaded with a bike is another matter for any rack. BTW, I HIGHLY recommend etrailer.com. They've got a lot of photos, videos and specs of what they offer. If you still have a question regarding a rack, they respond within a single business day. I've bought 3 hitches and 3 racks from them over the years and never had an issue with the fit or installation.

Look at the Biktrix Stunner. Powerful mid-drive with throttle. $1999.

https://www.biktrix.com/collections/bikes/products/biktrix-stunner?variant=54785500117

If you could stretch your budget, Townie Go with Bosch mid-drive is probably the best cruiser on the market. Great warranty from one of the top drive systems in the industry. Townie is a Trek brand, test rides and service after sale won't be an issue.

http://www.electrabike.com/go/

https://electricbikereview.com/electra/townie-go/

I agree. The Townie -Go with the Bosch mid-drive Performance motor and Intuvia controller is a fantastic cruiser. By design
the bike is incredibly stable and safe. When you come to a stop the only place to put your feet is flat on the ground. The crank aka
pedals are placed forward unlike a more traditional bike. This is the unique design of the Townie.

Since Trek now owns Townie the support and service for the Townie-Go is great. If the $$$ are there this is a fine choice.

John from CT

PCDoctor - The last 7 years I have had good luck with a "Swagman" (made in Canada) also available from etrailer.com
I bought a regular bicycle platform model from Camping World on sale end of season (2012)for $95 . Quite a shock when I saw the prices of electric platform carriers. I bought another "swagman" ...electric type though. Probably paid to much. Happy with it though.

I will check out the "Saris Freedom" model too.

Maintenance question: Someone has to service whatever I purchase. Many of the lesser expensive ebikes sold through Amazon, etc. aren't connected to a "brick and mortar" store. Exception is RAD bikes who contract with "Velofix Mobile bike shop" to assemble and tune the bike than deliver to your door for $99 which includes a tune up at 30 days. - velofix.com serves many areas including mine in San Diego County.

I contacted Velofix and they will come to your house or office, assemble and tune any online bike manufacture for $229. For $79 they will come to your house or office and tune up your bike, They said customer can sit in the back of the van, drink their provided coffee and watch the techniciam work. He will for free train you on which items you can adjust yourself. He said two items wear faster than regular pedal bike -0brakes and chains. For more information call them at 1-(855-835-6349. Interesting that they assemble a lot of "RAD" and "Juice" bikes in San Diego.

Last edited:
The reason I picked Rad Power Bikes was because they were regular standard bikes with ebike components added. Almost any part that fits a regular bike will fit on a Rad Power Bike (makes upgrades/mods easy). I took my Radrover to a regular bike shop to put the ebike together and tune bike stuff up (adj. brakes, TQ spokes, adj. derailleur, pedal cranks, etc...) . I just needed to charge the battery to balance out the cells before the first ride was the only thing I had to do to the ebike component. The Rad ebike components require zero maintenance or software/firmware upgrades. Any issues with the hub motor, wiring harness, battery, controller, or LCD can just be replaced and new parts are plug-n-play.

Maintenance question: Someone has to service whatever I purchase. Many of the lesser expensive ebikes sold through Amazon, etc. aren't connected to a "brick and mortar" store. Exception is RAD bikes who contract with "Velofix Mobile bike shop" to assemble and tune the bike than deliver to your door for $99 which includes a tune up at 30 days. - velofix.com serves many areas including mine in San Diego County.

I contacted Velofix and they will come to your house or office, assemble and tune any online bike manufacture for $229. For $79 they will come to your house or office and tune up your bike, They said customer can sit in the back of the van, drink their provided coffee and watch the techniciam work. He will for free train you on which items you can adjust yourself. He said two items wear faster than regular pedal bike -0brakes and chains. For more information call them at 1-(855-835-6349. Interesting that they assemble a lot of "RAD" and "Juice" bikes in San Diego.
It's a bicycle, not rocket science. Only things that might give trouble that isn't an obvious fix are motor/controller/battery.

Thanks MR. Tomorrow (weather permitting) we are going up to Newport Beach to rent a RAD City . Comments from an owner are very important and helps with the process. Speaking of RAD and "Velofix". Velofix will bring a RAD bike to your house or office for a demo ride so you don't have to take a long drive and give you a $50 discount on the rental.

Thanks Mister M for your comments.
Motor/controller/battery: I assume that is a closed system and only an authorized mechanic can repair it. Question: where are most of these components manufactured - Canada or China? Is one better than the other?

Back