Choose between Vado3 or 4, or Tero3.0

Shooter88

Region
USA
I'm 66 y/o and have been "behind bars", handlebars that is, (bicycles, motorcycles, street and dirt) all my life. I currently have an older Specialized FSR Comp and have been wanting to try an ebike and recently rode the Vado4 and Tero 3, boy were they fun.
My riding would consist of probably 70% concrete bike path and because of my dirt bike past, (still own a couple KTM's), would want to do some smoother flowing single track. I loved the power of the Vado4 and it fit me just about perfectly but I'm not certain it would be very good off road. I'd certainly want to remove the fenders and the rack, and don't really need the lights.
I liked the Tero 3 but I've developed some ulner nerve numbness in my hands, (had to raise the stem and bars on my FSR Comp over the years) and think I'd need to raise the bars a bit on the Tero to relieve pressure on my hands a bit.
My dealer handles Specialized and Trek, (I would prefer to buy local if support is needed). Has anyone bought a Tero 3 and raised the bars on it? Also I see alot of discussion about the Tero 4 and 5's but not much on the 3. Also has anyone used the Vado 3 or 4 off road any and how did it fare?
My budget is about $3250, (Tero 3 and Vado 3 cost). This is my first Ebike so I'm not ready to jump in the deep end.
I'd be interested in any opinions about using the Vado off road and the Tero 3 in general. Thanks all and sorry for the long first post.

I agree Sefutau, the Vado4 motor is more powerful, (and more fun on street/paved roads) than the Tero3. I was able to get the Tero up to 27 mph on flat ground but it took more input from me than when riding the Vado4. I am certain the Tero is better off road and I do want that capability. I've learned there is a whole cottage industry of ways to tweak these motors to make more power, (the Pear chip) so I'm looking into that. Thanks for the reply.

@Shooter88: please never buy an e-bike on which you felt uncomfortable, and your first thought was to modify it before you bought it! Tero has been designed for its purpose, and raising the bars will be the first step towards more pain, that is, the pain in your butt, leading you to be looking for a unicorn comfortable saddle and so on. I have gone through that long process myself to get enough of experience: "Never try defeating the purpose given e-bike was designed for".

Having said the above, let me tell you Vado 4.0 is at the sweetest point in the e-bike type: the best compromise between the price and capabilities.

Need some gravel or light off-road rides? Vado 4.0 makes it possible with its 27.5x2.3" wheels equipped with all-rounder Pathfinder Sport tyres, which are silent on the pavement, fast rolling, supple, and with good grip off-road. Just ride carefully off-road (it is not an e-MTB!)

My own experience with riding a Tero 3.0 off-road: the e-bike is heavy in the front. I didn't like the performance of the suspension fork. Otherwise, it felt an adequate XC e-bike, which I would not modify myself. Note: No significant hills here.

Last edited:
@Shooter88: please never buy an e-bike on which you felt uncomfortable, and your first thought was to modify it before you bought it! Tero has been designed for its purpose, and raising the bars will be the first step towards more pain, that is, the pain in your butt, leading you to be looking for a unicorn comfortable saddle and so on. I have gone through that long process myself to get enough of experience: "Never try defeating the purpose given e-bike was designed for".

Having said the above, let me tell you Vado 4.0 is at the sweetest point in the e-bike type: the best compromise between the price and capabilities.

Need some gravel or light off-road rides? Vado 4.0 makes it possible with its 27.5x2.3" wheels equipped with all-rounder Pathfinder Sport tyres, which are silent on the pavement, fast rolling, supple, and with good grip off-road. Just ride carefully off-road (it is not an e-MTB!)

My own experience with riding a Tero 3.0 off-road: the e-bike is heavy in the front. I didn't like the performance of the suspension fork. Otherwise, it felt an adequate XC e-bike, which I would not modify myself. Note: No significant hills here.
I concur....for the price point, the Vado 4 is really hard to beat.

My wife and I are in our 60’s and both have Vado 3’s. They are so much fun and make us feel 20 again. We recently rode in the Solvang Metric Century (72 miles) then a couple months later, rode across Catalina Island with our overnight stuff in pannier bags. We never would have done either of these trips without our e-bikes.

I don’t think you will go wrong with either of your choices, depending on your budget.

My experience of late is the motorizing twenty year-old bicycles. I'd say say one would want a full suspension ebike. You're going at (low) motorcycle speeds and all of those have full suspension. That's why I'm liking the Tero X, though that's out of my price range at this moment. I would hope to be able to kludge a throttle to it. Throttles on ebikes are a blessing and a curse, but I would want one.

I ride moustache xroad which is similar style trekking bike to Vado 4. They can be ridden on smooth MTB tracks but its more of case of getting through than having fun at speed.
If you want to enjoy MTB tracks buy Tero. For comfortable long distance riding the Vado.

The maintenance.
Well, the Giant Trance E+, a full suspension e-MTB that has been in my family for 3 years and is heavily ridden has never required the maintenance of the suspension (especially as it has never been ridden on a technical singletrack). Yet, suspension fork and the rear damper add a lot of weight (especially if the suspension fork is of the steel coil type). When I could take a Tero X in my hands, it felt one of the heaviest Specialized e-bikes.

While the Tero is an XC e-bike, Tero X is a SUV e-bike where the full suspension is meant for the rider's comfort not zooming off-road trails. It is the Levo to perform that function.

Well, the Giant Trance E+, a full suspension e-MTB that has been in my family for 3 years and is heavily ridden has never required the maintenance of the suspension (especially as it has never been ridden on a technical singletrack). Yet, suspension fork and the rear damper add a lot of weight (especially if the suspension fork is of the steel coil type). When I could take a Tero X in my hands, it felt one of the heaviest Specialized e-bikes.

While the Tero is an XC e-bike, Tero X is a SUV e-bike where the full suspension is meant for the rider's comfort not zooming off-road trails. It is the Levo to perform that function.
You clearly know more than I do about suspension forks, but I ride primarily on dirt roads, light trails (dirt/gravel) and occasionally pavement. I watched a young couple last summer on Cannondale bikes with front suspension riding a limestone trail, and shook my head as they bounced around dangerously as if on Pogo sticks. My hard ass manages just fine without front suspension, and I would gladly take the weight and maintenance savings in place of some potential added comfort.

My hard ass manages just fine without front suspension, and I would gladly take the weight and maintenance savings in place of some potential added comfort.
I'm very happy with my rigid fork Vado SL, only I added Redshift Shock Stop suspension stem and seat-post. That lightweight e-bike handles perfectly on light trails while my heavy Vado is not comfortable in the same terrain because of its weight. That's why the suspension fork in the "big" Vado is adequate for the pavement and good gravel but it offers very little in rough terrain, same as the fork of Tero 3.0.

Well, I bought the Tero 3.0 yesterday, in a step through, (because of my short inseam). My initial ride was 21 miles, about 80% concrete bike path with some considerable climbs and 20% easier dirt single track all ridden in trail mode. I used up about 45% of the battery. So far this thing is a blast.

My old FSR comp had a rear shock and I miss that. I've been researching suspension seat posts but due to my seat height there is not a lot of room for one. If I don't do a seat post I may consider a suspension seat of some sort just to get a little compliance when riding off road.

Also I may consider some silicone grips or some type of stem that can absorb some shock/vibration, (maybe using urethane inserts like "Flexbars" in the dirt bike world) without going to a full suspension stem.
I look forward to getting some miles on this thing, especially on the flowing single track.

Back