Chain slap

kenleerevalee

Region
USA
I have an Ecotric Sports Pro. I have problems with my chain slapping when I pedal using pedal assist, especially in lower speeds. It feels as if I am out of sync with the bike gears and pedal assist. Any tips and suggestions will be appreciated
Thanks

I thought the main reason for chain slap was jumping and hitting obstacles. I would think low speed pedaling has nothing to do with slap. Please give us more details about how you are riding and any adjustments you have done to the derailleur. Do you have a clutch on the derailleur?

Reactions: rtp
I thought the main reason for chain slap was jumping and hitting obstacles. I would think low speed pedaling has nothing to do with slap. Please give us more details about how you are riding and any adjustments you have done to the derailleur. Do you have a clutch on the

I don't guess it is chain slap . When I use pedal assist at low speed when the pedal gets to the top it seems to skip a few links then catches again. It seems to happen more often when I have the pedal assist set to 2. I hope I have explained it right. I have had my e bike for 2 wks and still learning to ride it. I am 69 yrs old and haven't had a bike for years.

I don't guess it is chain slap . When I use pedal assist at low speed when the pedal gets to the top it seems to skip a few links then catches again. It seems to happen more often when I have the pedal assist set to 2. I hope I have explained it right. I have had my e bike for 2 wks and still learning to ride it. I am 69 yrs old and haven't had a bike for years.
It could be a problem with the chain. My neighbor had a new RadCity e-bike and had similar symptoms. The chain would get kinked and then come free with a little thunk. It was especially noticeable while pedaling at slow speeds.

I had a spare 8-speed chain from a 9-speed upgrade. We replaced his chain with my spare and all was well. No more thunk.

It’s probably a $30 repair at a bike shop. And about the same if you buy the chain and the chain breaker tool and do it yourself. But with the latter in your toolbox, you can service your chain at any time (say to swap or clean).

It could also be a problem with a damaged chain ring (where one or more teeth are bent) or similar glitch with a rear sprocket or derailleur jockey wheel. A bike shop could definitely help troubleshoot and save the guesswork.

Last edited:
Your derailleur could be quite out of adjustment, as mine was when I got my Rover. It sounded like chain slap. I adjusted it myself; or have a bike shop check it for you.

How about chain skip? This happens because the chain is a little loose. If you follow the cable from the shifter on the right side of the handlebars back to the derailleur on the rear wheel, you will see where the sheath meets it. There's an adjuster there.

Give it a 1/4 turn counterclockwise. Ride. See if the skip is gone.If not, adjust another 1/4 turn, repeat. , Be smart about it. if nothing is happening, stop, because you'll back the adjuster out of threads.

barrll.jpg

Back