chain mileage

I logged over 3000 km on my Trance X E 12 speed chain and changed it out before it was sold. It registered .75% using the CC-4. As for the 11 speed chain on my road bike, it’s still at less than .5% after over 4000 km of use but I’ll likely swap it out after the riding season is over.

Last edited:
I logged over 3000 km on my Trance X E 12 speed chain and changed it out before it was sold. It registered .75% using the CC-4. As for the 11 speed chain on my road bike, it’s still at less than .5% after 3000 km of use but I’ll likely swap it out after the riding season is over.
Road bike chain should do better, no?

Road bike chain should do better, no?
I was inclined to ride the Creo without the use of PAS as much as possible so that might explain why the life of the chain has been extended. I actually logged an additional 1100 + km on the bike since the motor was recently replaced. I’ve edited that in my previous post to reflect that. But yes, I think riding the trails does place more load on related components and riding throughout the winter through some pretty harsh conditions takes its toll on consumables.

I was inclined to ride the Creo without the use of PAS as much as possible so that might explain why the life of the chain has been extended. I actually logged an additional 1100 + km on the bike since the motor was recently replaced. I’ve edited that in my previous post to reflect that. But yes, I think riding the trails does place more load on related components and riding throughout the winter through some pretty harsh conditions takes its toll on consumables.
Nice! The Creo looks to be a great machine.
My SUV is a bit of a pig with the bigger battery. The Conti Rubans compensate for that a bit. But the bike is still a monster.

11 speed chain is pretty thin though isn't it?
When making reference to thinner chains, it’s actually the roller pin extension (not the inner width) that has decreased over time as cog speeds have increased. The ends of the pins are practically flush with the faces of the outer plates on 11 & 12 speed chains. The thickness of the chain plates themselves have also decreased.

The outer width on my 11-speed Shimano chain on the Creo measures 5.6 mm compared to 5.34mm on my emtb’s SRAM 12 speed version. The 12 spd SRAM chain on my analog bike is even thinner at 5.2mm. I used a KMC 12 speed chain on the Trance X E prior to selling it and it performed quite well during that time.

I ride my emtb much harder and in more grueling conditions than either of my road bikes. I’m constantly shifting on the trail as a result of undulating terrain and the more technical the track becomes, the harder I generally push the bike while ultimately trying my best to not shift under load. Rapid torque places more demand on the chain and so it’s vital to check/maintain it more often. It’s definitely important to keep your chain clean and free of contaminants to reduce the rate of wear. That being said, I usually bring a spare chain/links along with me on the trail just in case.

Some years ago, in the time of 5 or 6 cog freewheels and 3/32" chains, the group I was road riding with ~ 3hrs/day got good chain and freewheel life by purchasing 3 chains each time we replaced a cluster. We cleaned the cluster and mounted a thoroughly cleaned chain at ~ 200mi. intervals (more frequently if ridden in rain, or on dusty roads), rotating among the three chains. The cluster and chains wore at about the same rate, clusters lasted longer than had we simply worn out one chain at a time, and we always had one or two clean chains at the ready. We cleaned either by shaking in a can of kerosene or in an ultrasonic bath, replacing the solvent a few times, and typically relubed with 20wt. oil, wiping off most of the excess. Memory says clusters lasted ~ 5000mi, but could get more by replacing the fastest wearing sprockets (or groups), usually the smallest ones, as they became noticeably worn. Today there are all kinds of pricey lubricants available, but I suspect any lube that remains inside the chain should be okay provided it's not allowed to get too dirty.

Back