CCS/CCX - speed over torque? but by how much - hill climbing

sd_tom

I've seen several things, especially in the past (2016) about the crosscurrent being optimized for speed and isn't what you'd want to 'carry you up a hill on throttle'; in 2016 the ODK was recommended for that. But, here in 2018 with the impending CCX coming out with 52volt batteries, etc.. it seems like the ability to be lazy on an afternoon and just throttle up a hill may not be as much of an issue today vs then. Or, of that's what I am concerned about i should look over at the ripcurrent or something as maybe it's not as speed optimized?

Lots of long steep hills here; some are ´really´ steep. I swapped the 52T on my CCS for a 50/34 compact,(no front derailleur).
i just shift manually. Using a bit shorter chain my bike will climb about anything pedaling with the 34T. The 50 gives a bit more
torque. What I like about the 50 is that I can use a somewhat higher cadence instead of leg power on average grades.

Last edited:
Lots of hills in my area, even if I'm being lazy my stock 48v CCS carries me up them at close to 20mph because lower than that you can get over 900w of peak power by using the throttle + pedal assist ("throttle assist boost"). You don't actually have to produce much torque through the pedals to get that extra power.

Lots of hills in my area, even if I'm being lazy my stock 48v CCS carries me up them at close to 20mph because lower than that you can get over 900w of peak power by using the throttle + pedal assist ("throttle assist boost"). You don't actually have to produce much torque through the pedals to get that extra power.

That will get ya up the hill, but boost will gobble your charge. On longer rides, I have become more frugal with juice, coasting when I don´t really need to
pedal, & using gears and cadence to maximize efficiency.

That will get ya up the hill, but boost will gobble your charge. On longer rides, I have become more frugal with juice, coasting when I don´t really need to
pedal, & using gears and cadence to maximize efficiency.
Agreed, Im rarely in a lazy mood when I'm on my CCS anyway. Ive found I like speed way more than I dislike burning thighs, sweat, and heavy breathing. Exercising is lots of fun now.

I've seen several things, especially in the past (2016) about the crosscurrent being optimized for speed and isn't what you'd want to 'carry you up a hill on throttle'; in 2016 the ODK was recommended for that. But, here in 2018 with the impending CCX coming out with 52volt batteries, etc.. it seems like the ability to be lazy on an afternoon and just throttle up a hill may not be as much of an issue today vs then. Or, of that's what I am concerned about i should look over at the ripcurrent or something as maybe it's not as speed optimized?
IMO, those statements are correct, the CCS is optimized for speed. However, that doesn't mean it performs poorly on hills. It does pretty well in my experience. It just isn't the absolute best ebike for hills on the market today. I haven't ever tried an incredibly steep hill, but I've been up some that I would have had to get off and walk with a regular bike. The CCS got up them fine. In my experience, it helps to get some speed up before hitting the incline.

Back