Cargo capability

foxer720

Hello. I'm new to the ebike world, long time (and current) mountain and road cyclist. I've been doing research for a Class 3 commuter and grocery-getter. Will be riding in a flat, urban environment. Ride1up bikes (particularly the 700) checks almost all the boxes for me. However the rear rack doesn't look very sturdy and given the 50lb load limit. Also was really hoping for the option to mount a front basket. Is the front hub a through-axle or quick release? Would something like this fit the bike?

Can anyone report some real-world experience hauling cargo on any of the Ride1up models? Thank you in advance!

No personal experience but 50 lbs is a pretty common limit for bike racks, and theirs looks sturdier than most.

My wife has a 700 ST. The rack is rock-solid. She has panier bags on each side, but doesn't carry too much weight (a 10-lb. chain lock, lunch, rain gear, backpack, etc).

The front hub is a quick release skewer.

the rack is as solid as any "standard" rack. 50 pounds is a LOT of weight to throw on a rear rack. If you really think you are going to carry more than that you might want to consider a cargo bike, or a trailer. I have panniers...but all told I probably rarely carry more than 20 pounds....lock, charger, tube, tools, change of clothes maybe.....

Thank you for the replies. During normal commuting I wouldn't get anywhere close to 50-lbs. However I want to use the bike grocery shopping, where the weight limit may come into play. That is why I was hoping a front rack/basket could be added to better distribute the load. I originally started my ebike search looking at cargo bikes, but they are too long to fit in the bike lockers at my office.

I own 2 Rad City Step Thru's and 2 R1U 700ST's the Rad is set up for a front rack and also has a very sturdy rear rack. You should look at them.

Back