Car replacement

ebikemom

My biggest e-bike surprise is the extent to which it has replaced my car. Today I went to Home Depot and bought a dishwasher (11 mile round trip) and to the grocery store and to pick up prescriptions at the drug store (two bags of groceries in my side baskets! 4 mile round trip). My daughter took herself to and from her volunteer gig (4 mile round trip).

Tomorrow, commute to work (21 mile round trip).

Friday, we plan to go to see a movie as a family (9 mile round trip x 4 bikes).

These are all things that I would have done by car.

Yippee!!!
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 9.14.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 9.14.25 PM.png

I parked the car 8 years ago and haven't looked back. I bought $84 of supplies yesterday with the bike.
One quibble about the baskets in the back. It unbalences the bike: I measured my mountain bike at 80 lb rear 20 lb front without me or a load on it. I've had the front wheel skid sideways on gravel and pavement humps and pitch me onto my chin on the road 5 times in 5 years. Last time I was going 25 mph and broke my chin. I may be particularly un-coordinated, but I do recommend one of these helmets with chin guard: https://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-Rampage-Comp-Helmet
I went all the way and bought a cargo bike with a stretch frame that puts my weight on the front wheel, leaving the back for the supplies. http://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/spicy-curry-bosch

I could replace our older of 2 cars but can't get my wife to agree. She thinks we'll regret it during winter. It would require more bus commuting to fill the gap between biking and our car pooling. I'd get some extra money in my paycheck for giving up my parking which would easily cover the bus and some Uber trips.

Recently I reviewed my auto insurance and realized I had specified 12,500 miles per car. We're probably not even doing 12,500 between both cars. We rarely drive on weekends because we bike for groceries and dining out. I dialed it back to 7,500 per car and got a nice little discount.

I could replace our older of 2 cars but can't get my wife to agree. She thinks we'll regret it during winter.

Yeah, we are keeping our cars, for sure. I don't know what'll happen in the winter here, but I won't be commuting to work in the dark, that's for sure--it gets very dark here, and street lighting is poor. If I didn't have kids, maybe, but I don't want to risk it!

Having the cars and driving them less is a win-win! :)

We sold one of our cars (to our daughter, she needed a good reliable vehicle) and the one we kept stays parked day after day. The bikes have replaced most of the trips we used to make. We live 5 miles out of town so errands are at least a 10 mile round trip. Most of our shopping, doctors, etc. are at this end of town which helps. We had some nervousness last winter when we sold the Kia but it's been over six months with one car and we don't regret it. Admittedly eastern NC is not the hardest winter on earth, but we have ridden in sub-freezing weather. As they say, there's no bad weather, just bad clothing. Check out the videos on YouTube by E-Bike Commuter such as this one. He lives somewhere in Finland.

I'm so impressed! I'm quite wary of the traffic around me as we don't have dedicated bike lanes, which makes me a bit nervous, plus I don't have a good pannier solution. I have a rack bag but it's small and only holds my fix kit and a few tools. But this is inspiring!

Nice!! Instead of getting a car i decided to get a Sondors original Ebike. i was looking at the super73.. But something about it was not catching my attention. I think it was the fact it wasn't as big as the Sondors original. The sondors is worth the money, i can get really far on that thing and not have to worry about a thing. I plan to invest in another one with a bigger battery and power so i can go on a self loathing road trip!!!!

Awesome! I'm replacing many office car commutes now, but haven't yet expanded into all those regular errands/entertainment runs.

When winter hits, I'll be back in my car/bus to avoid cycling in the dark, but I do hope to continue shopping/entertainment/exercise on weekends during daylight hours. :)

When winter hits, I'll be back in my car/bus to avoid cycling in the dark, but I do hope to continue shopping/entertainment/exercise on weekends during daylight hours. :)
I kinda like cycling in the dark. I've got lights all over the place. Helmet, under the seat, end of the rear rack, and a big bright light on the front. Lots of reflective tape/paint, and as you can see in my avatar, hi-viz vest and helmet. I don't feel any less safe at night than I do during the day. Texters don't see you no matter how much light there is.

I've been riding my new ebike for 2 weeks and have barely used my car at all. I'm looking to try and use my ebike as much as possible all year round and maybe not bother to insure my car at all for spring and summer next year. This will save me $500 not having to insure a car that just sits in my garage.

Back