Can't get up to 23mph - bummed out

Unless I missed something, it seems like the same kind of double-speak. He says on the speed version "if you're riding it really hard, you might be able to get up to speeds as fast as 28mph". Isn't that the same thing that could be said about any 20mph ebike? Seems pretty blatant to me that they are trying to pass this off as something it's not, faster than it is. I'm wondering if Currie purposely instructed these reviewers and dealers to exaggerate and repeat these lines, of if that is something that is done with other ebikes and is just the norm for the industry? Either way, I find it to be dishonest, unless I am missing something.

One other thing to point out - if you go to the Currie website, the image that comes up for the Nitro is the bike with the red trim. That is another thing that led me to believe that the model I was getting was the latest – the 2014 model, and was capable of 28mph.

Ok, do any of you ever get that feeling where you wake-up one day, and it's like you've slipped into a parallel universe, where things are slightly different, and what you thought you knew, now you don't really know??

I did a LOT of research before buying this bike. Not to say that I knew everything by any stretch, but I definitely did a fair amount of research. Here on this site, the bike is listed as 28 mph speed. Here on the Currie Tech site, the bike is listed with 28 mph speed (http://www.currietech.com). The bike is listed with a 500 Watt motor, and I read numerous places (including here on this forum) that this bike has the same engine and battery as the Stromer, and that this bike is actually made in the same factory (different assembly line).

At any rate, I'm pretty bummed to find this out. I mean all is not lost, as I was basically given this bike as a loaner, because when I went to purchase the ST1, it was on backorder... so I have the option to return this bike for a Stromer purchase - but I would have to ship it back, and pay the shipping. OR I can see if my boss will purchase this bike for the office, as he wants an ebike for the office, however he is in europe until August. But of course, a Stromer purchase would be much more expensive, not to mention I got a great deal because this was a demo bike. :-(

I also really liked the look of this bike, and bought accessories that I really liked with it. I'm so frustrated/depressed right now.

Hey O7,

I just had a long chat with Lenny.

First off all, few points to address your concerns.
  1. You shouldn't be standing when you're coasting. That will create severe drag and reduce the coasting efficiency.
  2. The battery bars can't be trusted 100% , this is only your second ride and give it a few more charge cycles and then run it down to 0% from 100% and see what the range is.
    generally range improves with few charge cycles in.
  3. Perhaps it helps to have better fitness.
  4. The bike doesn't use the same motor and battery as ST1. Each battery/ motor combo is proprietary to that particular company. What I meant is, it is assembled in the same factory but that doesn't mean it uses the exact same components. eFlow is a well made bike for sure.
Coming back,

Hope you understand that the shop spent hours on the phone trying to understand your needs. You had the option to pick any bike (out of 60 different models) including Stromer ST1 platinum, Easy Motion Nitro Cross, OHM XU-700, Stromer ST2, Haibike Super Race etc.,
For someone who is a starter, we suggest starting line up of Easy Motion or Haibike but eFlow was a demo model and you did get a great deal.
Evan also helped you with initial setup via video call. So in no way, the shop was misinforming you. Please call Evan again and he will put you in touch with East coast manager of Currie, Mark Rushman and there is no better person to talk to. We are only trying to help you. Please don't try to put yourself in a victim position.

If you really want a 28mph bike, you have several options, Focus Aventura Speed, Focus Thron Impulse Speed, Izip Dash, peak, Easy Motion Nitro, ST1 platinum, OHM XS750, Xduro Super race but all of them will be significantly more expensive than eFlow you have right now. Even right now, you have the option to pick any bike you want.

Generally, the motivating factor should be the idea of ebikes and what it brings to your life not just the price. It's a worthy investment. At the end, for some reason you don't want this bike, pack it up and send it back.

Hey O7,

I just had a long chat with Lenny.

First off all, few points to address your concerns.
  1. You shouldn't be standing when you're coasting. That will create severe drag and reduce the coasting efficiency.
  2. The battery bars can't be trusted 100% , this is only your second ride and give it a few more charge cycles and then run it down to 0% from 100% and see what the range is.
    generally range improves with few charge cycles in.
  3. Perhaps it helps to have better fitness.
  4. The bike doesn't use the same motor and battery as ST1. Each battery/ motor combo is proprietary to that particular company. What I meant is, it is assembled in the same factory but that doesn't mean it uses the exact same components. eFlow is a well made bike for sure.
Coming back,

Hope you understand that the shop spent hours on the phone trying to understand your needs. You had the option to pick any bike (out of 60 different models) including Stromer ST1 platinum, Easy Motion Nitro Cross, OHM XU-700, Stromer ST2, Haibike Super Race etc.,
For someone who is a starter, we suggest starting line up of Easy Motion or Haibike but eFlow was a demo model and you did get a great deal.
Evan also helped you with initial setup via video call. So in no way, the shop was misinforming you. Please call Evan again and he will put you in touch with East coast manager of Currie, Mark Rushman and there is no better person to talk to. We are only trying to help you. Please don't try to put yourself in a victim position.

If you really want a 28mph bike, you have several options, Focus Aventura Speed, Focus Thron Impulse Speed, Izip Dash, peak, Easy Motion Nitro, ST1 platinum, OHM XS750, Xduro Super race but all of them will be significantly more expensive than eFlow you have right now. Even right now, you have the option to pick any bike you want.

Generally, the motivating factor should be the idea of ebikes and what it brings to your life not just the price. It's a worthy investment. At the end, for some reason you don't want this bike, pack it up and send it back.

Please don't put myself in victim position? REALLY???

Did you really just say that?

I have complimented the shop numerous times and numerous ways, including right here in this very thread. I am commenting on the bike, not the shop. Who is the one putting their self in victim position.

Please don't put myself in victim position? REALLY???

Did you really just say that?

Sorry if it did offend you.
The tone of your message in the original post about being bummed out was like as if someone intentionally tried to trick you into something. I showed your message to Lenny and he felt bad about it.
Everyone at the store was trying to help you (Evan has been trying to reach you) and if you had an issue, a phone call would have resolved it.

In fact, Mark Rushman would have provided a solution for you from the Currie end.

Sorry if it did offend you.
The tone of your message in the original post about being bummed out was like as if someone intentionally tried to trick you into something. I showed your message to Lenny and he felt bad about it.
Everyone at the store was trying to help you (Evan has been trying to reach you) and if you had an issue, a phone call would have resolved it.

In fact, Mark Rushman would have provided a solution for you from the Currie end.

My "tone" is that I thought this bike was 28mph, and it is only 20mph. In this thread, Hurley even specifically asked if the shop misled me, and I not only stated that they did not, but that "the shop was awesome".

My purpose isn't to point fingers, it's just to be honest, in that I am disappointed that this bike doesn't do 28mph. I really love this bike, and still think it's a great product, it just won't work for my long commute needs, and so I'm disappointed about that. If you or Mark Rushman have any suggestions, I would very much appreciate any you might have to share.

At any rate, I LOVE Lenny, Evan and the shop (and also you Ravi)!!! You all have indeed been very warm, shared a lot of helpful knowledge, and not only offer great deals, but also provide great service!

So no, I have no issue with the shop - at all. And again, I also stated in this very thread that Evan gave me an awesome deal to return this bike for the ST1 when they are back in stock. My only disappointment is that this bike seems to not have the ability I want it to have, in regards to the max speed. And I'm disappointed because I really love this bike!

The speed at which the motor cuts out is what the bike is rated for. So, if the motor is programmed to cut out at 20 mph then any expectation of more than 20 has to be tempered with reality (rider's height, weight, terrain, wind direction and strength).

So I guess the question is: what speed is this particular ebike that Operator7 purchased programmed for? Does the motor assist cut off when the bike reaches 20mph? (sounds like it to me).

My "tone" is that I thought this bike was 28mph, and it is only 20mph. In this thread, Hurley even specifically asked if the shop misled me, and I not only stated that they did not, but that "the shop was awesome".

My purpose isn't to point fingers, it's just to be honest, in that I am disappointed that this bike doesn't do 28mph. I really love this bike, and still think it's a great product, it just won't work for my long commute needs, and so I'm disappointed about that. If you or Mark Rushman have any suggestions, I would very much appreciate any you might have to share.

At any rate, I LOVE Lenny, Evan and the shop (and also you Ravi)!!! You all have indeed been very warm, shared a lot of helpful knowledge, and not only offer great deals, but also provide great service!

No worries, O7.
Thank you for the kind words. Please PM me your email ID, I will put you in touch with him. I don't wish to hijack your thread and convert it to something else.

Now there IS some confusion about the bike, but let me state it again just for clarity - in no way is that from the shop. As I stated, Court's review on this site lists the black bike with red trim as the 2014 model - and apparently this is the 2013 model. It also lists 28mph as top speed. The Currie site also has the black with red trim image. And there is also the message of "can get up to 28mph", which I DO find misleading, and that is my personal opinion.

At any rate, I am not complaining about "being cheated", because this bike was given to me as a loaner. If I sound disappointed, it's not from "being cheated", it's simply because I really fell in love with this bike, and now I'm seeing that it probably won't be able to suit my needs. It's still a great bike, and it's still a great deal. Hopefully you can now fully understand where I'm coming from.

No worries, O7.
Thank you for the kind words. Please PM me your email ID, I will put you in touch with him. I don't wish to hijack your thread and convert it to something else.

Again, this is AWESOME of you!!! (no bs) So I don't consider this a "hijacking" at all. I'm glad we could set the record straight, because I really do think Lenny and all you guys at your shop are great, and if I didn't mean that, believe me I wouldn't say it. My only regret is that you guys don't have a sister shop out here in So Cal!

The Nitro is still a very impressive bike especially if you consider cost.
The "new" ST2 puts out 35Nm of torque compared to 40Nm of torque with the Nitro albiet at a max of 20 mph. The Nitro only puts out 30Nm of torque with the motor wound to 28 mph.
So, she appears to climb just as well as her $7000 counter part.

The Nitro is still a very impressive bike especially if you consider cost.
The "new" ST2 puts out 35Nm of torque compared to 40Nm of torque with the Nitro albiet at a max of 20 mph. The Nitro only puts out 30Nm of torque with the motor wound to 28 mph.
So, she appears to climb just as well as her $7000 counter part.

Agreed - I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!!

I just wish they made a version that would assist up to 28mph, because I need that for my long commutes. I'm actually considering just keeping this for personal use, and getting an ST1 strictly for my commute, but unfortunately, my funds are limited...

Operator7, they *do* make a version that will assist up to 28mph BUT you will give up some range as well as 25% worth of torque to get that increased speed. So you have to decide: more torque, lower speed (up to 20mph assisted) OR less torque, more speed (up to 28 mph assisted). If you go with an eFlow you can't have both in one bike at the same time.

PowerMe, which version assists up to 28mph? As far as I see for the 2014 models, their site is claiming only assist up to 20mph, even with the "speed version".

I watched the video that was posted upstream and the CurrieTech President (Larry) went over the bike and talked about how there are 2 versions of this ebike, one with a higher torque, but lower speed. Did you watch that video on the previous page?

I watched the video that was posted upstream and the CurrieTech President (Larry) went over the bike and talked about how there are 2 versions of this ebike, one with a higher torque, but lower speed. Did you watch that video on the previous page?

Oh was that the President of Currie? I thought that was a dealer. At any rate, he said "with hard pedaling it might be possible to get to 28mph". To be blunt, I did not like that answer. I want to know at what speed the assist cuts off at. I mean couldn't one say that with hard pedaling, it might be possible for one to get a regular, non-ebike up to 28mph?

Stromer does the same w/similar wording , "moderately hard" for 28 on a Platinum (as far as my poor memeory works). it covers their butt too or everyone would think they can go 28 all the time w/ez pedaling and you really cant. But I still believe you have a 20mph bike and 23 on flat w/it seems about right tome. My original Stromer Sport was about the same way. 22 or so i could o on flats for a reasonable time period, much better than the 10-14 i could do on a regular bike in the same area

Back