Can't get up to 23mph - bummed out

Yeah, when someone thinks something is really nice, it is extremely important to have another person contradict that.

Most of the pre-built bikes you suggested I think leave a lot to be desired. There are few things you are not taking into account. I have tried a few of these kits. Without torque sensing they tend to be jerky or not very responsive, not as reliable, noisy, more dangerous, and I have never liked the black box attached to the down tube by way of water bottle holder. But yeah they are faster with more torque for the money. I would suggest the Easy Motion Evo Race for an awesome commuter. For just under $3000 it has just about everything. Torque sensing, range, more torque, looks, speed, and reliability along with stealth. It also only weighs 45 pounds with battery and just under 40 pounds without. You can attach a rear rack too. Comes with 30 gear combinations. The only downside I see is a stiffer ride. Maybe add a seat post shock and you're good to go. Should be able to maintain 25 mph no problem. Best pre-built speed for the dollar I have seen. Did I mention that this is a very good looking bike? :)

Yeah, when someone thinks something is really nice, it is extremely important to have another person contradict that.

Most of the pre-built bikes you suggested I think leave a lot to be desired. There are few things you are not taking into account. I have tried a few of these kits. Without torque sensing they tend to be jerky or not very responsive, not as reliable, noisy, more dangerous, and I have never liked the black box attached to the down tube by way of water bottle holder. But yeah they are faster with more torque for the money. I would suggest the Easy Motion Evo Race for an awesome commuter. For just under $3000 it has just about everything. Torque sensing, range, more torque, looks, speed, and reliability along with stealth. It also only weighs 45 pounds with battery and just under 40 pounds without. You can attach a rear rack too. Comes with 30 gear combinations. The only downside I see is a stiffer ride. Maybe add a seat post shock and you're good to go. Should be able to maintain 25 mph no problem. Best pre-built speed for the dollar I have seen. Did I mention that this is a very good looking bike? :)

My point with that list was that there are many options without the shortcomings the OP raised. I understand the torque sensor issue - yes, it would be nice if the Bafang had that, but many other mid-drives do have torque rather than cadence sensing. The Evo race looks okay - I would prefer a mid drive though.

You're not going to be happy with it --and I think one should fall in love with one's ebike -- that's not going to happen in your situation. You're in a v lucky position in that you can still exchange it. In my opinion --Get an OHM XS750 or XU 700 -- both with D series BionX and big beautiful Schwalbe 27.5 inch tires for $4000 (3 yr warranty on battery!) and be prepared to be amazed.

I actually just recently considered the OHM XU700 on suggestion from someone else... seems like this bike has a lot to offer! I just wish they'd do something with the awkward-looking battery. Other than the battery sticking out, the bike has very good looks! Curious, what makes you recommend the OHM over the Stromer?

Come on, let's be honest, it's a damn ugly bike anyway and if limited to 20mph (32kph) it's probably not very useful as a distance commuter bike - add to that the impressively low torque ratings (how can this thing even get up a hill with a large rider on it?) I'd say bin it, sell it or return it and get a proper middrive bike or at least one with a hub with some power behind it (and one you can fit a suspension post to if that's what you want).

Yes, this will cost you more money but like many things in life, you get what you're willing to pay for. If you don't want to pay more, you'll have to make do - or make a DIY bike (which will give you more speed, power and range for less).

Looks are subjective, but while I first thought the bike was "dorky" looking because of the seat post sticking up, when the seat post is lowered I found this bike to be the sexiest, best-looking bike out there. The black with the red trim/font is especially good-looking, imho.

I am a noobie, but I thought this bike had the same power as the Stromer ST1, which is one of the most powerful ebikes out there?

I agree that 28mph is important for longer distance commutes; however, this bike has a lot of great features, including light weight, both wheels are quick release, the display can be removed and this also shuts the bike off, which makes for nice anti-theft measure, and the throttle can be employed at any time, which is a feature very few ebikes seem to have. I think this bike is a top contender, especially considering the price. I just don't understand the lack of speed with such a big motor, but again, I am a noobie and struggling to learn and understand a lot of things about ebikes as I continue to research and experience.

Hurley, would love to hear your opinion of the Evo Race compared to the ST1. I know there is a $1200 difference in price, but the ST1 seems to have more speed, range and comfort no? I considered Easy Motion and think they are good bikes, but from what I heard the Stromer will have a much more comfortable and solid ride, in addition to the greater speed and range. What say you?

I actually just recently considered the OHM XU700 on suggestion from someone else... seems like this bike has a lot to offer! I just wish they'd do something with the awkward-looking battery. Other than the battery sticking out, the bike has very good looks! Curious, what makes you recommend the OHM over the Stromer?

Let's see --, has similar speed (20mph on throttle but 28mph pedelec-- and I can confirm latter from yesterday's ride!), also excellent distance range, premium components (same Schwalbe Big Ben tires [OHM though is 27.5, not 26], high end German-made B&M lights, even same sweet Pletscher kickstand) excellent hydraulic disc brakes, incredible 3 year warranty on battery/motor (5 on frame), proven BionX engine/motor (super quiet, durable, and powerful), made in Canada.... and 16 lbs lighter (62 lbs for Stromer, 46 lbs for OHM) and costs $3000 less. So yes, for similar speed, proven engine/battery, high-end components and $3000 less, I prefer OHM.

Now to be fair -- If they were both $4000 then Stromer would win (even though if I wanted to spend 7k I would still not get a Stromer because of the heavy weight) because Stromer has more power, more perks, etc, but reality is that one costs almost twice as much, is 16lbs heavier, and goes same max speed....

In the $6000+ category I would prob get one of the GORGEOUS 2016 in Specialized Turbo configurations...

As for battery -- It doesn't bother me, but I do think BionX is trying to integrate it in 2016+ -- stay tuned.

Last edited:
Hurley, would love to hear your opinion of the Evo Race compared to the ST1. I know there is a $1200 difference in price, but the ST1 seems to have more speed, range and comfort no? I considered Easy Motion and think they are good bikes, but from what I heard the Stromer will have a much more comfortable and solid ride, in addition to the greater speed and range. What say you?

If money is not an object, ST1 platinum for sure. Great bike and gorgeous as well!!! Just make sure you don't have tons of hills to contend with because of the lack of torque.
Because of the geared motor, the Evo is better suited for a lot of hills.

The OHM 700 looks like the Prodeco Tech Stride to me only uglier because of the battery. You want to talk damn ugly in my opinion, I would not be seen on that bike without a big hat and wide/tall framed dark sunglasses.

The OHM 700 looks like the Prodeco Tech Stride to me only uglier because of the battery. You want to talk damn ugly in my opinion, I would not be seen on that bike without a big hat and wide/tall framed dark sunglasses.
Didn't you just say:
"Yeah, when someone thinks something is really nice, it is extremely important to have another person contradict that."

Yes but not just for the sake of it. Furthermore, I don't recall anyone bragging about the looks of this bike. Furthermore, he does not own the bike as far as I know. Furthermore (I could go on)...

Let's see --, has similar speed (20mph on throttle but 28mph pedelec-- and I can confirm latter from yesterday's ride!), also excellent distance range, premium components (same Schwalbe Big Ben tires [OHM though is 27.5, not 26], high end German-made B&M lights, even same sweet Pletscher kickstand) excellent hydraulic disc brakes, incredible 3 year warranty on battery/motor (5 on frame), proven BionX engine/motor (super quiet, durable, and powerful), made in Canada.... and 16 lbs lighter (62 lbs for Stromer, 46 lbs for OHM) and costs $3000 less. So yes, for similar speed, proven engine/battery, high-end components and $3000 less, I prefer OHM.

Now to be fair -- If they were both $4000 then Stromer would win (even though if I wanted to spend 7k I would still not get a Stromer because of the heavy weight) because Stromer has more power, more perks, etc, but reality is that one costs almost twice as much, is 16lbs heavier, and goes same max speed....

In the $6000+ category I would prob get one of the GORGEOUS 2016 in Specialized Turbo configurations...

As for battery -- It doesn't bother me, but I do think BionX is trying to integrate it in 2016+ -- stay tuned.

The ST1 Platinum msrp is $4200, so they are essentially the same price. The Stromer has a much better look since the battery is integrated. The OHM is indeed lighter, but I don't see what the benefit of less weight is with an ebike, other than maybe picking it up to put it in a car or something... also, the OHM is a relative newcomer, versus the Stromer which seems to be selling way more units. That doesn't mean I wouldn't go with OHM, but I just can't find any benefit over the Stromer... check that, Ravi informed me that the OHM has a full throttle, better acceleration and more battery... and now, as I review the OHM more, and especially Court's review (http://electricbikereview.com/ohm/sport-xs750-15/), I see that this bike does indeed to have some really nice components and very nicely made. The display is especially nice. I also like the look of the front shock. It gives the bike a really sporty look, imho.

I don't know, I'm a little awash in information right now, and need to spend some more time reviewing and digesting everything. But would love to hear you (and others) compare this to the ST1 Platinum. Matter of fact, I'll make a thread for that in the Stromer forum (since the Stromer forum is much more active at present).

Thanks for your feedback!!

Yes but not just for the sake of it. Furthermore, I don't recall anyone bragging about the looks of this bike. Furthermore, he does not own the bike as far as I know. Furthermore (I could go on)...

I just don't see a point in bashing another bike on looks! It's way subjective and does nothing to advance the conversation.

OK.
Presumably you have never passed negative judgement in any way shape or form yourself J.R on a bike.
This is an Eflow forum. He was bashing a Eflow bike in a Eflow forum. I am sorry you don't see the difference.

Attachments

• ohm-sport-xs750-15.jpg
    ohm-sport-xs750-15.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 606
I just don't see a point in bashing another bike on looks! It's way subjective and does nothing to advance the conversation.

I disagree JR. I'd rather people be honest and express themselves, versus being PC anyday. I don't mind if someone says they think something is ugly. That's their opinion and I want people's honest opinions versus PC bullshit anyday!! So when Adrian commented on the eflow, I had no problem with it. I actually shared the same exact sentiment at first! And with the OHM, I felt the same way.

I like hearing the honest opinions on looks from others who have experience with bikes, as opposed to someone such as myself who has very little experience with bikes. So as far as I'M concerned - please feel free to say "hot or not"!!! :p

OK.
Presumably you have never passed negative judgement in any way shape or form yourself J.R on a bike.
This is an Eflow forum. He was bashing a Eflow bike in a Eflow forum. I am sorry you don't see the difference.

This is just me, but I welcome ALL opinions. In my humble opinion, I think that people fall into the political correctness trap too much, and always say something "nice", when largely it's meaningless and worthless. I was once told that the best friend you could ever have is someone who will tell you something negative. It's easy to tell people what they wanna hear. Telling someone something critical or that they might not want to hear, takes courage. I very much welcome contrasting opinions, and if someone has a critical opinion of a bike, I'd certainly want to hear it versus someone not voicing that opinion for fear of being "out of line". Tell me what you think, positive or negative!!!!! :)

I'm very much enjoying the opinions that have been shared here. Personally speaking, I am learning a ton. I thank EVERYONE for sharing your mind/honest thoughts!

And by the way, I did my third ride, and plan to do a report with some nice pics, but just wanted to say that Hurley, you were right. I moved the seat up, and it gave me better leg strokes. It takes away from the looks tho! (unfortunately)

Back