Cannondale Topstone Gravel Ebike

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Two days ago on Tuesday, I ordered the Topstone Neo Carbon 2 from REI. The bike was not available on their regular web site but rather was found on their outlet/garage site at 20% off the 2020 price. Here it is Thursday evening and I got a call from the local REI. My bike is already in and being assembled. There is a problem with one of the GRX brake levers leaking. They are ordering a new lever on warranty from Shimano. If not for that I would be picking up my new bike tomorrow, just three days after ordering it. Tomorrow I will know how long it will take to get the replacement lever and be able to pick up my new bike.

Nice looking bike Alaskan. Really sleek looking.
I love the n+1 rule, especially when it comes to ebikes.

Congratulation for Your new entry 👍I own a Lefty3 on which I have recently replaced the WTB Horizon 650x47 with the WTB Resolute 650×42, and added the Tubolite camera ( 75gr vs 230 gr )...The Horizon are excellent but as I planned more gravel not really grippy on mix terrain ...
For what concern the battery consumption my experience ,after about 6000km with the Lefty ,is the follows:
Overall consumption in between 18-22 watt each 100 mt elevation
Rider weight 75 kg x 1,78 cm - bike weight: 18kg
Rider experience: well trained ( average 10000/12000 km p.a )
level assistance : Eco till 10% gradient, Tour above - never used Sport and Turbo.No assistance on flat ,cruise speed 30-32 km/h
Enjoy
Regards
Blackvipergts
That's one gorgeous ride! REI has a sale on the Neo 2. Hmmmm :) okay, maybe I should read all the posts before replying hahahahah

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think they brought them into Australia - I could only find the Topstone Neo carbon 4 and the Topstone Neo Lefty 3 - both too expensive for me :(

The specs in your link for the Topstone Neo Carbon 2 you bought says it has the Bosch CX motor 👍 - looks like an awesome bike!!!

cheers
Mike
That information is incorrect. In the USA the motor on the Neo Carbon 2 is the Performance Line Speed, class 3, 28mph/45 kmph, also 85 Nm.

There are two lines in the tech specs and they definitely are in conflict

E-Bike ClassificationClass 3: high-speed pedal assist
MotorBosch Performance Line CX 250W

Nice looking bike Alaskan. Really sleek looking.
I love the n+1 rule, especially when it comes to ebikes.
Getting one for yourself? :) You'd lack no speed! :) Carbon frame dampens road vibration, you can get one with the Lefty shock, ideal for gravel rides... :D

That's why this very model is not available in Australia.
The Topstone Neo Carbon Lefty 3 has the CX motor 650b wheels, the lefty oliver fork and a 1x11 drive train.
C21_C62371M_Topstone_Neo_Crb_GRY_PD.jpg

Last edited:
Alaska, that's a Lefty 3.
The Neo Carbon 2 and Neo Carbon Lefty 3 are both available in Canada, but the motor is limited to 32kph.
What's the limiter set at in Australia?

25 km/h (15.5 mph)
That's practically useless, unless there is a whole network of bike trails. 15 mph is about how fast I typically travel on a bike path/rail trail. I'm pretty slow.

I only need class 3 when I have to mix it up with cars, which is far too often in the USA for my liking. There are lots of roads throughout the USA which have 25 mph (40.2 kmh) speed limits. If you can't maintain a constant 25-27 mph (40.2 - 43.5 kmh) on these roads, you end up getting passed repeatedly by cars, trucks, etc. The less often you are passed, the less likely there is to be a traffic conflict, of which the cyclist always loses.

My new Topston Neo Carbon 2 arrived at our local REI store Thursday afternoon. It turns out they had one down in the Seattle warehouse. I went in yesterday to drop off the Nyon, a pair of 40mm WTB Byway tires to be installed tubeless and a Kinekt suspension fork.

Unfortunately the bike arrived with a leaky back brake lever. By the time I got to the store yesterday they had already contacted SHimano and the warranty was approved with a replacement lever on its way. They were not sure where it was coming from but if it is was a more distant warehouse it might take a week or more. They suggested that I "return" the bike and order another one, thinking the new bike would actually get here sooner than the lever. They would keep bike #1, fix it and put it on the floor to sell. This was the first Topstone Neo they had seen in the shop and all the techs were rather taken with it.

We proceeded to return bike #1 and buy bike # but then the system informed us the expected delivery was not till March 9. Turns out the second bike was coming from a more distant warehouse, would have to go to Seattle first and then come up here. We decided to reverse that those transactions and just wait for the lever which would likely be here sooner. This was the first time I have seen the bike itself and not a photo. I was itching to ride it but with a leaky brake lever, that would not have been a good idea. it sure is a great looking machine.

I did learn that there are still 10 of the Neo 2s in inventory nationally. I did not get a count on the Neo 3s. They may be the last ones currently available anywhere in the US.

Last edited:
I'm very interested how the story goes on, Richard!
(You are the person who actually encouraged me to ride together with a gravel cycling club!)

My new Topston Neo Carbon 2 arrived at our local REI store Thursday afternoon. It turns out they had one down in the Seattle warehouse. I went in yesterday to drop off the Nyon, a pair of 40mm WTB Byway tires to be installed tubeless and a Kinekt suspension fork.

Unfortunately the bike arrived with a leaky back brake lever. By the time I got to the store yesterday they had already contacted SHimano and the warranty was approved with a replacement lever on its way. They were not sure where it was coming from but if it is was a more distant warehouse it might take a week or more. They suggested that I "return" the bike and order another one, thinking the new bike would actually get here sooner than the lever. They would keep bike #1, fix it and put it on the floor to sell. This was the first Topstone Neo they had seen in the shop and all the techs were rather taken with it.

We proceeded to return bike #1 and buy bike # but then the system informed us the expected delivery was not till March 9. Turns out the second bike was coming from a more distant warehouse, would have to go to Seattle first and then come up here. We decided to reverse that those transactions and just wait for the lever which would likely be here sooner. This was the first time I have seen the bike itself and not a photo. I was itching to ride it but with a leaky brake lever, that would not have been a good idea. it sure is a great looking machine.

I did learn that there are still 10 of the Neo 2s in inventory nationally. I did not get a count on the Neo 3s. They may be the last ones currently available anywhere in the US.
I ordered a Large Topstone Neo Carbon 3 Lefty on 2-20. It shipped 2-22. Still waiting for the email to come pick it up at my local REI. REI's Outlet website lists all sizes of the Neo Carbon 3 as available.

edit - I got the email to pick up my bike just after I wrote this!!!! =)

Last edited:
I ordered a Large Topstone Neo Carbon 3 Lefty on 2-20. It shipped 2-22. Still waiting for the email to come pick it up at my local REI. REI's Outlet website lists all sizes of the Neo Carbon 3 as available.

edit - I got the email to pick up my bike just after I wrote this!!!! =)
Getting a top tier ebike in a week's time is a rarity these days. Congrats, you're going to love the bike, I think. Looking forward to reading your ride reports and impressions.

Well, I picked up the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3 Lefty. On the ride home I was pretty bummed to find that the assist cuts out at 19mph. So, this bike has been incorrectly programmed as a Class 1, instead of a Class 3.

Well, I picked up the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3 Lefty. On the ride home I was pretty bummed to find that the assist cuts out at 19mph. So, this bike has been incorrectly programmed as a Class 1, instead of a Class 3.
The Cannondale site says that it is equipped with the Bosch Performance CX motor which is a class 1 motor. It is designed as more of an offroad true gravel bike than the 2 which lacks the front fork and is more road oriented therefor. There is no Neo Carbon 3 with the speed motor. It is more than just programing the speed but also the torque curves are different.

CannondaleTopstone Neo Carbon 3 Lefty Electric Bike - 2021​

Best UseRoad Cycling
E-Bike ClassificationClass 3: high-speed pedal assist
MotorBosch Performance Line CX 250W
Motor TypeMid-Drive
Motor Torque (Nm)85 Newton meters
Battery TypeLithium Ion
Battery Capacity (Wh)500 watt hours
Battery RemovableYes
Charge Time (hrs)4.5 hours
Max Speed (mph)28 miles per hour

The Cannondale site says that it is equipped with the Bosch Performance CX motor which is a class 1 motor. It is designed as more of an offroad true gravel bike than the 2 which lacks the front fork and is more road oriented therefor. There is no Neo Carbon 3 with the speed motor. It is more than just programing the speed but also the torque curves are different.
@Spicy Legato I see now where the REI site mentions that the 3 has the speed motor. Additionally the Cannondale site does say that it comes with the speed motor in the Highlights section near the top and then says it comes with the CX just below that in the Technology section. The listing on the Neo 1 has the same conflicting information. I suspect that the guy who set up the pages on the 2 & 3 on the REI site used the information off of the Cannondale site which showed both motors but the Performance speed was the first mention, he filled that box correctly and ignored the information further down the page.

Note that the 2 comes with a 2x11 drive train with a front derailleur and 32 and 48 tooth chain rings. This is a better match for the speed motor and road riding. The two has a 1x11 with a single front chain ring, better suited to a CX motor and off road riding.

I think on the basis of this published conflicting information you have some basis to ask that the bike be fitted with the motor you were expecting.

Back