Canada to restrict class 3 ebikes to 20mph

once it gets the "upgrade" it can't be reverted back. I would have disc. the Sim by now or connect a Sim card with a US address ?
What if every SIM that is within earshot of a Canadian tower gets the message. That would be easiest. No need for registration data or serial numbers. That would be a mess. Numb and Number. Simple. Like a PSA it keeps flashing the local update. Some in the MI U.P. might get hit but that is collateral and could be appealed case by case. Occam's razor.
1670112054361.jpeg

I believe updates are reversible, not by the riders though. Stromer seems to have the CA option in all of the the previous firmwares. But the option to switch to non-CA was open to the riders via service menu and seems that is what the sellers did when selling these bikes.

Now with the new firmware that option is removed and the riders are locked to the speed limit of the country they are residing in. I understand how the previous owners feel, I hope there will be a solution for this. However this is not only Stromer's problem, their firmware already had the CA option, the dealers have a greater role in this.

Some positives about Stromer's cellular connectivity:

1. It is a fantastic anti-theft device, by far the best among the ebikes on sale today. In cities like SF where bike theft is notoriously high most of the Stromers are recovered.

2. It is a great system for firmware updates. You don't need to deal with taking your bike to a lbs because they have a crappy encrypted dongle to get a necessary update.

3. The error codes can be checked via cellular connection rather than having the need to take it to a lbs.

@Petropoliskhan: It looks the thread title should be: "Stromer restricts their Canadian e-bikes to conform to the existing laws".

A simple thing: Stromer was delivering illegal e-bikes to Canada; someone in the authorities has realised that and requested Stromer to conform to the law. Fortunately for Stromer, they can do the OTA update.
In my opinion, Stromer has acted unethically, in bad faith and unlawfully toward owners who relied upon representations and descriptions that the bikes, as bundled with certain firmware, are capable of 45km/hr. In violation of consumer protection legislation available in most provinces, Stromer then unilaterally imposed a firmware update limiting these bikes to 32km/hr, without the knowledge or consent of owners, a practice that deceived and misled consumers. Stromer was under no obligation in law to interfere with current owners’ private use and enjoyment of their bikes but did so to appease authorities who control the company’s ability to import/sell new bikes in Canada. To accomplish this conversion, Stromer violated its own privacy policy, as well as Swiss law, by using owners’ personal information and data for an unauthorized purpose; specifically, to identify Canadians’ bikes and restrict their performance, ostensibly, on behalf of Canadian authorities.

Last edited:
So now you know:

"Below are universal rules across the provinces in Canada regarding electric bikes (excluding Prince Edward Island, as they have their own set of rules):
  • Motors are limited to 500 W output, and cannot travel faster than 32 kilometers per hour on motor power alone on level ground"

Specific rules for BC, Canada:

View attachment 141424
Chap, you can protest to Stromer until you're blue :D
I would recommend doing a deeper dive into the source Regulations. As a starting point, the fact a motor-assisted bike has a maximum speed greater than 32 km/hr simply means it does not qualify for the category identified by ICBC in the above screenshot from their website. Importantly, however, laws/regulations in BC do not ban, outlaw, limit or otherwise restrict motor-assisted bikes from travel on public roadways at speeds above 32 km/hr… but don’t rely on me, please DYOR.

Last edited:
Sucks, but either buyers knew they were buying a non-compliant bike or were ignorant and should direct their anger at Stromer for selling them something that wasn't legal for road use in the first place.

I've always said that if non-compliant bikes become enough of a problem in the US, enforcement isn't going to be cops out on the paths and streets stopping people and checking for stickers or whatnot, its going to be three letter agencies going directly after manufacturers selling non-compliant or trivially modified e-bikes. Sounds like that was the case here. I'm sure Stromer was facing stiff fines (or even an inability to sell to Canadians) unless they brought things into compliance, and decided to do this. The undoubtedly know it will piss a lot of owners off, so its not unlikely they did it on a whim.
Respectfully, the issue for me was not ignorance of the law/regulations. I performed due diligence with all jurisdictional authorities at the time of purchase. In my own jurisdiction, there is no law/regulation to prohibit travel of motor-assisted bikes like the Stromer at maximum speed of, 45 km/hr / 28 mph.

Last edited:
Manufacturer "connectivity" means you do not own your bike software. They may make any changes they like. No doubt you accepted those "terms and conditions" upon purchase or activation.
It is interesting how people seem to assume Stromer has acted in good faith here. Stromer has used Owners’ private information and data for the purpose of identifying certain bikes to change their speed capability. I do not believe any Owner gave consent for such use of their personal info./data. Doing so is a clear violation of the terms and conditions of the Company’s own privacy policy, upon which Owners rely for the protection of their personal data. Taking the Company’s explanations at face value, the Company has used Owners’ personal data for the unauthorized purpose of appeasing regulatory authorities. Such corporate intrusion is inconsistent with Switzerland’s Federal Act on Data Protection, Art. 4(1)-(5). But don’t take it from me, please DYOR.

Last edited:
We know the bikes are designed to go 45 km / hour - in fact mine has been going 45 km an hour for the last 4 years.
Not only were these bikes designed for 45 km/hr, the technical specification for maximum speed of 45 km/hr was advertised and promoted by the Company. This feature for maximum speed of 45 km/hr was the decisive consideration in my ultimate decision to purchase. As with you, from the date of purchase to late 2022 (over five (5) years), my bike consistently performed up to 45 km/hr.

@Petropoliskhan: It looks the thread title should be: "Stromer restricts their Canadian e-bikes to conform to the existing laws".

A simple thing: Stromer was delivering illegal e-bikes to Canada; someone in the authorities has realised that and requested Stromer to conform to the law. Fortunately for Stromer, they can do the OTA update.
Respectfully, it’s a bit a simplification to say these bikes were illegal in Canada.

I received this as well. I am in Canada as well. Very frustrated with this and have been looking for fixes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
It would appear to me that Stromer unnecessarily foisted this change across the board to all previously sold bikes in Canada. In my opinion, Stromer has contravened consumer protection legislation available in most provinces and violated the terms and conditions of its own privacy policy as well as Swiss privacy law. If Stromer is going to be obstinate then owners’ remedy can be pursued via lawsuit… but please DYOR

Hello all,

I am a Canadian that has two Stromer ST3’s in the family. I have spoken with my dealer and read all I can about this. I have firmware 4.3.9.5 current ou on both bikes. I changed my address to a family member that lives in the USA then I pulled both batteries from the bikes. According to my Canadian dealer that spoke with a Stromer USA rep that “if you had a USA second address like a country house” this would work. He claims that if your bike was registered to a USA address at the time of the firmware push, you would not have it applied.

I now wait for news from my dealer that this worked for others, then I’ll put my Batteries back. I’ll let you all know more as I hear back, I’ll probably buy some foil to wrap my OMNI controller before though!
I wish I’d read your comments earlier… well done !.

Respectfully, the issue for me was not ignorance of the law/regulations. I performed due diligence with all jurisdictional authorities at the time of purchase. In my own jurisdiction, there is no law/regulation to ban, outlaw, limit or otherwise restrict travel of motor-assisted bikes like the Stromer at maximum speed of, 45 km/hr / 28 mph.
Sounds like they pulled the rug out from under you Stromerino.

I guess what I do not understand is why/how Stromer (or dealers) thought they were good to go with an ebike that falls outside of these parameters...

British Columbia​

An e-bike is identified as a “motor assisted cycle” (MAC) in British Columbia, which differs from electric mopeds and scooters, which are “limited-speed motorcycles.” Motor assisted cycles must: have an electric motor of no more than 500 W; have fully operable pedals; not be capable of propelling the device at a speed greater than 32 km/hr [19.9 mph]. The engine must disengage when (a) the operator stops pedaling, (b) an accelerator controller is released, OR (c) a brake is applied. A driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance are all not required. Rider must be 16 years old or more, and a bike helmet must be worn.

E-bikes in British Columbia must comply with all standards outlined in Motor Assisted Cycle Regulation, BC Reg 151/2002.

I guess what I do not understand is why/how Stromer (or dealers) thought they were good to go with an ebike that falls outside of these parameters...

British Columbia​

An e-bike is identified as a “motor assisted cycle” (MAC) in British Columbia, which differs from electric mopeds and scooters, which are “limited-speed motorcycles.” Motor assisted cycles must: have an electric motor of no more than 500 W; have fully operable pedals; not be capable of propelling the device at a speed greater than 32 km/hr [19.9 mph]. The engine must disengage when (a) the operator stops pedaling, (b) an accelerator controller is released, OR (c) a brake is applied. A driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance are all not required. Rider must be 16 years old or more, and a bike helmet must be worn.

E-bikes in British Columbia must comply with all standards outlined in Motor Assisted Cycle Regulation, BC Reg 151/2002.
?? Could Stromer agree to leave bikes, when requested, at the original higher speed assist BUT the owners would need to be in a higher vehicle class AND might have to register/ insure/ and driver’s license??
Those requirements would suck but at least you’d have a better bike experience.

?? Could Stromer agree to leave bikes, when requested, at the original higher speed assist BUT the owners would need to be in a higher vehicle class AND might have to register/ insure/ and driver’s license??
Those requirements would suck but at least you’d have a better bike experience.
Is the concept of Type Approval known in British Columbia? Are Stromer e-bikes Type Approved?

Respectfully, the issue for me was not ignorance of the law/regulations. I performed due diligence with all jurisdictional authorities at the time of purchase. In my own jurisdiction, there is no law/regulation to ban, outlaw, limit or otherwise restrict travel of motor-assisted bikes like the Stromer at maximum speed of, 45 km/hr / 28 mph.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on canadian ebike laws (I live on the east coast of the US and have enough trouble keeping abreast of just the laws in my state) but a cursory search seems to say that Canada just has a blanket definition for ebikes that is basically the US class 1 with a slightly lower power limit (500w instead of 750w). I can't find anything saying that a 45km/hr bike is street legal in Canada. I could be missing it.

As I said earlier, Stromer had to know this was going to royally piss off a bunch of their customers, so its hard to imagine they did it without being under some sort of duress. The good news, I suppose, is that if canadian ebike advocates manage to get the laws changed Stromer could theoretically put things back.

British Columbia​

But it is also my understanding that it is not illegal to travel above 30 kmh on an Ebike in B.C. .... so you would not get a ticket for riding up to 50 kmh in a 50 kmh zone. Therefore if you own a bike that can do this you are not breaking the law? Agreed?

But it is also my understanding that it is not illegal to travel above 30 kmh on an Ebike in B.C. .... so you would not get a ticket for riding up to 50 kmh in a 50 kmh zone. Therefore if you own a bike that can do this you are not breaking the law? Agreed?
I think I agree? That said the stickler is whether you are being assisted to get to or maintain that speed methinks.
I've done over 50km/hr myself, but going downhill.

not illegal to travel above 30kph…. but illegal to ride a bike on which the motor can assist you above 30kph.

Back