Canada to restrict class 3 ebikes to 20mph

There has to be a fairly easy work around by removing the SIM or disconnecting/shielding the antenna and it shouldn't require rocket science to do so. Someone needs to get into the weeds to figure it out.

And yet another reason I prefer to stay far away from proprietary overpriced hardware... Reminds me of Apple killing off the battery on their older phones.

Stromer has been the non-compliance company and now got caught.
I was just talking with a Canadian Trek dealer about ordering a Trek E Domane with new TQ motor and it is limited to 18 mph assist so other bikes are already subject to this insane limit!

It is like buying a new Corvette that is speed limited to 55 or 70 mph, instead of having highway speed limits…..

$7,000/20=$350, or $350 per MPH. That makes Jennifer's bike worth $11,165 in the alternate CA.
1669914808208.jpeg

1669915001572.jpeg

A simple thing: Stromer was delivering illegal e-bikes to Canada; someone in the authorities has realised that and requested Stromer to conform to the law. Fortunately for Stromer, they can do the OTA update.
The law applies to ebikes RIDING ON THE ROADS, and it also stipulates the 500W or lesser motor.
Stromer - OF COURSE- has an anal fixation.

Perhaps more effort to change the law might yield a better outcome than trashing the manufacturer for (probably by force) complying with it?

It is rather creepy that one's bike (among other modern technologies) can be controlled from afar, though.
I don't know about Canada or even all the US States but here in MN, we had no voice. One day there was a bill, and the next we were hobbled by nanny rules limiting and creating silly classes.

I understood the OTA capability is also a feature for anti-theft. Report a Stromer stolen via your app/whatever and the bike is disabled,

Now if more thieves were aware of this, maybe a Stromer would have little chop shop value and be too much work to steal.

The 20 MPH limit should be enough to prevent thefts. They can also be very heavy, something like 34Kg. Multiply those two factors by each other and you have all the deterrence in the world to prevent thefts. Not even a desperate stupid bad guy is that dumb. It makes them about 3.75 pounds per mile per hour. A decent bike is more like 1 & 1/3rd pound per mile per hour.

I'm not interested in a bike that has wireless connectivity for any updates or control. Tell me what the update involves and I'll login to update if I agree.

That said, most people would be surprised by the fine print we agree to on a regular basis. The horse is out of the barn and he broke down the paddock fence and is long gone. Ring doorbell and security cameras are terribly invasive and record everything. Alexa, and others are always listening. New cars are connected. Our phones and all the apps that have access to everything. You can be the most cautious person on the planet, but if your significant other or friend has your picture and contact info on their phone and they aren't careful with social media permissions, your info is captured. Our kids and grandkids using Tiktok have given up all our privacy and control. Personal anonymity and security seems far more important than than power control of our ebikes.

Many of us have said for a long time the real crackdown on ebikes won't come from a traffic cop or park ranger, it will come from import controls. Stromer has the technology to control the bikes they sell, I bet they were told if they want access to the market they have to abide by the laws. This is the first salvo; next the government will be forcing the big brands to limit sales to legal bikes or lose market access. The government couldn't care less about "off road modes", they will force companies to lock the bike's technology down with tamper proof security.

The scariest thing is geo fencing. There are European companies in tourist locations that utilize this new technology. All rental ebikes are completely controlled and they can fine tune where you can ride and how fast you can ride. It can be as granular as one street you can ride 15 mph and the next street 9 mph. Automakers are developing this as well.

The US will be the toughest nut to crack for a lot of this technology to be enacted. With Constitutional rights involved there will be lawsuits and other legal challenges. I don't have a lot of faith in our lawmakers to protect our freedoms though. Ebikes and bikes are classed as consumer goods and recreational devices.

This'll probably spark debate, but I'm not sure it's even sensible to ride a bicycle much faster than 32 KPH.
If you want to go fast you need to get a motorcycle.

Last edited:
If you are referring to the ability for mfg to do over the air software updates (or any type of control) without your knowledge, very common now.

My Sprinter gets updates periodically. The ability for police to have your vehicle disabled also already here for many vehicles.
Oh OK that makes it acceptable? My sphincter tightens at the thought. Oh wait, sorry sprinter…

I browse through and from what I understand Canadian Stomer owners are getting screwed, they paid top $$$$$ for their ebikes because it's capable of higher speeds only to be derestricted? Come on who wants that.
I don’t like the idea of a manufacturer screwing with a bike in such a manner so I too would be rather pi#%ed if I owned a Stromer. That being said, the impact might be moot for those who live in colder parts of Canada. From Nov right through to Apr or May, we’re essentially restricted to how fast we can ride anyways when the only other option is to garage your ride over the winter season.

High weight, low power, high price, no autonomy. Jennifer's husband's bike has no imposed limits, and has a cargo bike duel clutch 90 Nm motor. This thing pulls. No thumb throttle needed, it is all torque sensor activated. Open source. Not proprietary or linked to a server. This is his bike, he commands it, like his dog, no one else gives the orders. No One, Because it is His Bike. Yes, this is what superior electric bikes exactly look like, not clunky, chunky. Mid-drive. And lightweight. Fast.

Attachments

• VidaMidStep6.JPG
    VidaMidStep6.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Oh OK that makes it acceptable? My sphincter tightens at the thought. Oh wait, sorry sprinter…
If one finds it unacceptable they shouldn't be using the product. Very common these days and not a big deal to most people I speculate.

Speculate, “conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.” You go dude…
Correct. The only way to know for sure is to ask everyone, or rely on a properly designed poll. Hardly worthwhile for an insignificant issue. Grump on dude.

Back