Can you fit an 8 speed cassette to a Bafang G06 hub drive ?

Great White North

Region
Canada
Hi All !

Does anyone have experience with fitting an 8 speed cassette to a Bafang G06 hub motor ? On the Voltbike Yukon the 7 speed freewheel cassette has a big jump in teeth count between 1st and 2 nd gears ( easiest gears ). In the past I have done this 7 to 8 speed switch with a mid drive bike, ( new derailleur and 8 speed switcher as well, small extra spacer on the axle and re-dish the wheel ) with great success. My question is can one do this on the G 06 Bafang Yukon motor ? Is there enough room to fit the slightly wider cassette without the axle getting too short, and can one add a small spacer on the axle to create the required room ?

Your expert opinion much appreciated !

I take it you don't own the Yukon yet. I don't think it's good to be forcing an alloy frame to fit a wider freewheel or cassette. Unless Voltbike already uses a wider spacing with spacers to take up the slack, you might have to settle for status quo. Probably 3-5mm for a wider freewheel, and 3mm for a spacer. Might not be too bad, but then it could hamper removing the wheel.

In doing my conversions, I want the wheel to drop in freely. I've downsized from 7 to 6 speed freewheels to get a motor fit. Others don't care about 5 mm.

You could go to a 13-28T freewheel, but it sounds like you want to keep the biggest gear.

Thanks for the reply ! You are correct the Yukon is on its way and I am planning ahead. I have found in the past the the extra width for the 8 speed is minimal and only requires a minor adjustment with a spacer ( one or two thick washers for example).

I live in ski country and here you are either going uphill or downhill, climbing power is paramount. Most important for me is the smooth steps between the gears to keep my cadence going (old road racer in me ! ). I know it is an ebike but on my other ebikes I like to do as much of the work as possible myself using minimal power support as it is my primary form of exercise. ( That also gives amazing range on the battery )

There is a nice 8 speed freewheel cassette from Drift Maniac with smooth steps between all gears, 11 -34T which I hope to use. It is the same typeI used on a mid drive project in the past.

Do you think there is enough space for the extra cog fit it in ? Enough axle length ?
It is not ideal but I dont mind a slight tight fit in the frame.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for the reply !

The Drift Maniac 8 speed is THREAD ON, not a true cassette. It is similar to the 7 speed the bike comes with, just 8 speed with smooth steps between the gears.
I need to know if there is enough space to fit it, ie enough axle length to fit the extra cog.

Back