Can we change the culture?

what a world where you have to worry about an enraged cyclist attacking you because he doesn't like your bike. Wow.

I get positive comments every time I ride. Much more attention than from any car or bike I've ever owned. It's big black fat bike with red wheels, so it's a bit different than most bikes. Kids especially love it.

A much-overplayed drama. As a lifelong far-left gun owner I can't help but laugh at the two polarized extremes. FFS. Just walk/ride away.

"One of the principles of nonviolence is that you leave your opponents whole and better off than you found them."

Andrew Young
I won't disclose my politics or whether or not I still own a firearm, but I appreciate your candor and the sentiment!

Actually, with one or two exceptions, I'm finding the community here to be not all that polarized, or not as much as it might be. This conversation has been going on for days... or maybe weeks now, and no bloodshed yet... or very little. That's more than I can say for a lot of communities, including many of my own friends on social media!

I think the message is that if we have a positive attitude towards each other there is a lot less drama in the world and we might find we have more in common (we all like riding bikes for example) than we have differences. Common ground breeds collaboration which breeds cooperation which builds peace.

That's a pretty scary encounter and makes a couple of the incidents I've had look more tame.

I don't really get the animosity from roadies to an e-biker. It seems all bicyclists roadie, e or otherwise have similar relationships to automobiles. I bet the roadies get together and lament how they are treated by drivers. That roadie that assaulted the OP could easily have the same thing happen to him by an automobile driver. Roadies hate e-bikers, mtbers hate e-mtbers, drivers hate us all. drivers hate each other. Lotsa hate out there. Almost makes me want to stay home and lock the doors.
My new bumper sticker reads "Hell is other drivers."
If someone confronts you like that again, just tell them you are recovering from some medical thing and this is your "rehab." They can't very well get angry at someone who, say, has a heart condition, or had knee or hip surgery. You could also tell them you're trying to ditch your car and seeing if you can use an ebike to replace your car and what kind of speed and mileage you might be able to get if you did so.

I've not been chased or anything but I have disclosed a time or two I have a high heart rate (which is true) and my ebike allows me to get sustained exercise, which I wasn't able to do on my regular hybrid bike (also true). I also usually add that *whatever* allows someone to get their butt on a bicycle, regardless of what kind of bicycle, should be celebrated and encouraged because it's healthy and doesn't pollute. I've found that most everyone agrees with the getting butt on a bicycle thing.
I haven't had any hostile encounters yet, but I've been rehearsing my response: "What kind of bike will you be riding when you're 83 years old?" (which I am). I was riding in the bike lane headed for a "silver sneakers" exercise class, when I saw a pod of maybe 4 roadies approaching me in my helmet mirror. There was a moderate uphill grade, so I was doing maybe only 11-13 mph. As they passed, one of them said "Nice bike," which surprised me so much that I forgot my rehearsed retort. My lame response was "Uh, thanks."

If it is any consolation, I live in Southwest Virginia. Culture is somewhat different here. I drive either a minivan, Prius, Suzuki Burgman, or bike/ebike. I am actively disrespected whatever I'm driving!
Ooh, Burgman! One of my favorite scoots! Mine was only a 400cc, but it had ample power for the freeway.

You're right, Joe.

Yet, I'm thinking "pepper spray." Not as a first strike option, mind you, but for Plan B. This kind of person has already shown themselves to be unpredictable.
Spray a little "Head and Shoulders" solution on His glasses?People are freakin stupid at times and sadly some feel so entitled as to be an absolute ass.
I used to see that in the little breakfast biscuit places we would stop at , some punk thinks the Girl in the Restaurant or Scalehouse is in Love with them.
Maybe its too much testosterone from the steroids or oversize "quads" they have been building, just ignore them if you can, you are a good person, let that fact give you comfort.

I had one incident where a biker was unloading on a member of our riding group whom was on an e bike. An 80 year old type 1 diabetic. He remained cool and I was seat post lowered, in my lowest gear with the power set to max (1,700 watts) on BBSHS with my big fat bike with the Maxxis Minion 4.8" tires on it. All of a sudden he noticed me broadside to him and he said "And WTF are you looking at?" I said "YOU and you are messing with a frail 80 year old type 1 diabetic that I happen to love. I have this bike set at the max to put out 130 foot lb of torque and I'm gonna run you ass over and neutralize your threat if you so much as raise a finger! I have the bike, the youth and the experience to do it!, So, you'd best just get back on your mouse and get the F out of here cuz my heart rate is at max right now, you're really pissing me off so I wanna do it soooo badly!" I had a steel focus on him and a poker face. At that point he seemed to sense he was wrong to pick on an old man and he knew I meant business. He called us all a bunch of losers and departed quickly on his bike. We went on but it took me a while to get rid of the adrenalin.
I was bluffing but my father taught me never to bluff unless I could follow through if need be and always convey clear intent. I was about 12-15 feet away and I was prepared to wheelie right over him and his road bike.

Back