Can I charge my bike with this power bank?

Okay, here you go, looks like somebody has done it.

You will need a GX16 connector

And get a 36V pack, with whatever capacity you desire.
I don't want anything like this. I just want to charge my bike battery from an external battery when I stop for a break.

Kathy,
I agree with you on this... no Jerry-rigged stuff on my bike. ;)
Just carry the power station in your pack/rack when needed.

Can someone smarter than me tell me if I would be able to charge my bike with this power station?
It has 500wh, and I have a Volador, which I believe needs 256wh. The Dolphin needs 504wh, so I guess it won't work with the Dolphin. But can someone confirm it will work with the Volador.

Thank you.
Why not just buy a spare battery? Am I missing something? Are you unable to change batteries even though it’s in the seat post?

No, you won't have an external battery attached.

But I'm assuming the reason you want the extra Wh is because you want longer range.
So you're looking for a portable power station so that you can recharge your battery.

In my view, there are some problems.
1) You will need to carry portable power station (in your back pack?) while riding. Which is heavy, considering how much Wh it has.
2) You will need to carry an ebike charger to attach on your portable power station, again, the charger itself won't add any Wh, it only adds weight.
3) You will have to charge your ebike battery when it runs out. Which takes time, you can't just swap the battery and go.
#1 is not an issue for me, I have a basket bag in which I carry stuff up to 20lb. No big deal to carry a portable power station.
#2 is also not an issue. I don't have a problem carrying a charger. I was never expecting to get extra Wh out of my charger, not sure where this idea came from.
#3 I stated that I want to charge my bike battery when I stop. I never said that I want to swap the battery on the go. If that was the case I wouldn't be even posting this. I would just buy the second battery and swap on the go.

Why not just buy a spare battery? Am I missing something? Are you unable to change batteries even though it’s in the seat post?
Because the long seat post with a saddle on it is awkward to carry on a bike. Where would I put 40" long post, in a backpack? Is it going to be sticking 20" above my head? Not fun to bike with that

Kathy,
I agree with you on this... no Jerry-rigged stuff on my bike. ;)
Just carry the power station in your pack/rack when needed.
Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. Not sure why this is so hard to understand for some. All I wanted to know if the power bank I posted would work, that's all.

The idea of #2 came to my mind, because I thought that Wh to weight (station + charger) ratio wasn't that good.
The part that I had difficulty understanding was, I guess I don't know your situation.

I carry battery charger all the time, so that I can recharge the battery when I stop.

But when you said you want a portable station, I was under the impression that you will be at the place where no power supply is available.
If that's the case, it would be easier to swap the battery or carry extra battery to extend the range.
Yes, you were under the right impression. And again, I do not want to carry extra battery because that means I'm carrying a 40" stick with a saddle on it which would have to stick out of my backpack, which for me is not practical.
I never said anything about weight either, so again not sure where you got this idea of station + charger ratio. Not an issue for me.
I never said anything about a charger. I was asking about a portable battery pack that I could use when I'm on a trail and there is no power, so I can charge my bike. So when I stop, have a picnic for an hour or two I can add a bit of juice to my bike during that time.

Last edited:
I think I didn't understand the whole picture.

I thought you wanted to go point A to B, but can't make it to B without recharging the battery. If that's the case, instead of stopping at somewhere in between A to B and waiting for it to recharge, I thought it would be much easier if you get the external battery. That's all.

Sorry I wasn't trying to make it overly complicated 😅 I just didn't understand, that's all.
Yes, you got it all wrong. I never said that I can't get from point A to point B. All I asked was whether the portable battery pack that I posted would work with my bike. I was not asking for solutions on how to get from point A to point B because my battery runs out. How I'm going to use it is totally irrelevant to this conversation.

Last edited:
Kathy, the answer toy your question is yes. That one should work fine for you. It's a good size because as someone mentioned you have to account for the losses in the 110V inverter and your charger, and maybe the vendor was not exactly truthful about the real-world capacity (it happens). However you have more than enough head-room that you should not have to worry. So go ahead and get this one if you think you want to give it a try, or look for any other one with suitable capacity.

Your question confused a lot of people for a lot of reasons, yes reading comprehension or not reading was one of them, but also just because your use-case is atypical as most e-bikes have much larger batteries, and a good number of them are easily replaceable/swappable.

You are good to go, and smart enough to work out all the logistics that people seem to want to help you with.

This is too funny... a bunch of guys not listening to the OP and pushing their perceived solution. ;)
The original question was successfully answered back on page 1... Kathy is happy with the outcome.

Time to close this thread...

But you need a charger though?

You have your portable station, which is a power source.
You will need a battery charger to hook it up to the source.

I can see the outlet from the portable station, but you won't be able to charge your ebike without a charger.
So that's why I said, you will need to carry both charger and the power station.
Yes, I need a charger. How else am I going to connect my bike to the power source? It's obvious that I need a charger. I never asked how to charge my bike without a charger.

Kathy, the answer toy your question is yes. That one should work fine for you. It's a good size because as someone mentioned you have to account for the losses in the 110V inverter and your charger, and maybe the vendor was not exactly truthful about the real-world capacity (it happens). However you have more than enough head-room that you should not have to worry. So go ahead and get this one if you think you want to give it a try, or look for any other one add a bit of juice. with suitable capacity.

Your question confused a lot of people for a lot of reasons, yes reading comprehension or not reading was one of them, but also just because your use-case is atypical as most e-bikes have much larger batteries, and a good number of them are easily replaceable/swappable.

You are good to go, and smart enough to work out all the logistics that people seem to want to help you with.
Thank you. Will report back on the outcome.

This is too funny... a bunch of guys not listening to the OP and pushing their perceived solution. ;)
The original question was successfully answered back on page 1... Kathy is happy with the outcome.

Time to close this thread...
HAHA, yes, case closed guys. All resolved.

No you didn't say anything about charger.
But I was wondering maybe you thought that you could charge your battery by USB cable or something like laptop or cell phones.

Yes, it's obvious, but I personally would not like to be carrying lots of stuff on my bike, because space is limited, unlike cars.
Yes, I know it's just a matter of opinion and if you say you don't mind carrying stuff, I understand that.
But I didn't want you to be stuck in the situation where you end up getting a result something that you didn't want to be in, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Because in my view, I thought carrying an extra battery or adding an external battery would be easier solution, rather than carrying a charger, portable power station, and use your time to recharge the battery instead of simply replacing it.

And yes, I know you didn't mention it, but it didn't make sense to me, so I was wondering if I missed something.
Thanks.

Back