Can e-bike batteries be charged with solar panels?

btw: I have made a solar charger setup for my eBikes. This way is less efficient, but easier for anyone to do:

Has anyone tried to charge e-bike batteries with portable solar chargers? I am thinking in the context of extending one's range for camping/fishing multiday trips.

Thanks!
You can use an inverter...I have solar panels run to marine batteries that discharge into an inverter.

THEY CAN IDEED i HAVE SOLAR ON MY TRUCK THATS POWERS MY BACKUP BATTERY WHICH IS LITIHUM TIED TO MY 1500 WATT INVERTER, PLUG IN AND CHARGER AT CAMP.

This seems it would work and it can charge more electronic devices, a lot smaller to carry, has a internal battery to store extra power, can help cook your food, keep you warm, works day or night, sunny or cloudy, 5v 2 amp USB output, and can work in any weather. Just need to figure out what type of USB to power adapter to charge the battery.

BioLite: https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2

View attachment 17399
A 2amp output to charge a 14ah bike battery? Laughable.

I was curious if anyone had used these as the bridge between a power source (generator or solar) to a bosch bike?

[EDIT] - sorry just seen the comments deeper in the thread that Powerbutler werent shipping out of Europe and perhaps weren't operating.

Last edited:
[EDIT] - sorry just seen the comments deeper in the thread that Powerbutler werent shipping out of Europe and perhaps weren't operating.
Yes, haven't bothered to take the risk.
Besides, only 2A charging so with Bosch it would only allow 84 watts in.

The Jeep ebike has solar panels for its bike. I wonder if you could change it to a Rosenberger plug.

Charging e-bike batteries with portable solar chargers is a fantastic idea! It's a smart way to extend your range during camping or fishing trips. Just imagine cruising around on your e-bike, knowing you've got the power of the sun behind you.
Besides, you might want to consider a solar energy storage solution to make the most of your renewable energy. Ace Battery has some excellent options for that. Check them out here: acebattery.comWith solar charging and energy storage, you'll have the ultimate eco-friendly adventure setup.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to charge e-bike batteries with portable solar chargers? I am thinking in the context of extending one's range for camping/fishing multiday trips.

Thanks!
It is possible. But I think it would be simpler to either replace your current battery with a higher capacity one sufficient to your needs or install or carry a second battery. There are tons of videos out there showing the proper way to add a second battery to an e-bike.

Let’s not negate the excellent possibilities in solar charging. There’s lots of good info. See e-bikes.ca for some interesting ideas.

Back