Can e-bike batteries be charged with solar panels?

Grin tech is doing some great work, i may choose in the future to go with an established touring bike with Gates CDX & Rohloff (manual shift) and add a Grin hub motor on the front. Or Pinion (not real keen on this) with hub motor on rear or Rohloff with Bafang.
Definitely a Grin Satiator charger and hope in the future they mod it and allow a DC input from a MPPT charge controller or something like.
Maybe this: https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/all-axle-hub-motor.html

Last edited:
Solar power goes straight to the motor controller or to the battery, depending on the current load. This reduces battery charge cycles and avoids round-trip losses (~10%) through the battery.

How this is done? Is there some kind of relay?

Lot of good information on your post! Thank you!

How this is done? Is there some kind of relay?

Lot of good information on your post! Thank you!

Thanks. If I got you to sign up for an account just to post a question I must be doing something right. :)

So, good question. I didn't really explain that. I was just trying to give a picture of the current flow in an optimal scenario. In my case, the key is using Grin Tech LiGo batteries which have a single pair of positive/negative wires designed for both charging and discharging the battery through the same connection. Strictly speaking, it's only doing one or the other at any moment because the current either flows one way or the other, not both. The BMS automatically handles critical things like limiting maximum charge and discharge current, low voltage cutoff (discharging), high voltage cutoff (charging), battery temperature high/low limits, etc.

On a more traditional ebike battery, you're more likely to find separate charge and discharge connectors/ports which may limit your options. For example, a solar ebike builder from Germany who is currently touring in Sweden bought a battery pack for his cargo ebike which came with a 2A AC charger. His 160 watt solar panel could deliver up to 5A of charge current under ideal (but rare) conditions. The 18650 lithium ion cells in his pack could easily handle this much charge current but the BMS would only allow 2A on the battery pack's charge port. If it got more than 2A, it would shut off charging entirely. He could try charging the battery through the discharge port but this may bypass some BMS protection like high voltage cutoff which would be a problem if his charge controller ever delivered more than 4.2V/cell.

With some proprietary batteries, you may only have a single port for both charging and discharging and it may not be possible to do both at the same time so you may be stuck with having to carry two batteries and swapping them out. It's a bigger hassle than it sounds because you have to constantly keep an eye on both batteries' state of charge. Having done it in the past, I love not having to think about it and just focus on the ride.

Back to my case with the LiGos. The output of the solar charge controller is directly connected to both the battery and the motor controller. No relays required. The solar charge controller is always delivering the maximum power the current solar conditions and temperature will allow and trying to get the battery to 4.2 volts per cell. Let's say that I'm currently getting 250 watts from solar and the motor is only using 200 watts because I'm cruising on level ground. In that case, the extra 50 watts is going into the battery.

A moment later, I pass under some trees and solar output drops to 10 watts. The motor controller still draws the same 200 watts so the battery instantly goes from charging at 50 watts to discharging at 190 watts. As soon as I'm back out in the sun, it goes back to charging at 50 watts.

A few minutes later, I encounter a hill. I'm still getting 250 watts from solar but now the motor controller needs 500 watts to maintain speed. The battery supplies the additional 250 watts.

So, the battery is frequently switching from charging to discharging as available solar power production and motor controller power draw varies throughout the day. It makes more sense to think of the solar panel as the power source and the battery as a buffer between supply and demand. At the end of the day, the total number of amp-hours of energy into/out of the battery is much lower than if I had two batteries and swapped them out because most of the solar energy produced and consumed bypassed the battery. Fewer battery cycles means longer battery life.

Keep in mind that this level of optimization makes sense for someone like me who has custom-built a solar touring bike for an ultra long distance trip. If you're just looking to experiment with solar for fun to get some range extension and you're working with a bike and components that were not selected for solar touring then some minor efficiency losses may not be as important to you.

Grin tech is doing some great work, i may choose in the future to go with an established touring bike with Gates CDX & Rohloff (manual shift) and add a Grin hub motor on the front. Or Pinion (not real keen on this) with hub motor on rear or Rohloff with Bafang.
Definitely a Grin Satiator charger and hope in the future they mod it and allow a DC input from a MPPT charge controller or something like.
Maybe this: https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/all-axle-hub-motor.html

I switched from a rear geared hub to a Bafang BBS02 when I first got my Rohloff. Bafang was still going strong when I replaced it with Grin All-axle direct-drive front hub after 16,000 miles (26,000 km) but the chain and sprocket wear is a pain if you do long distances. You may find the Bafang somewhat unrefined compared with the Bosch? The Rohloff has been flawless... about to do my 8th oil change (24,000 miles / 40,000 km).

I'm running the Grin hub with the Grin PhaseRunner controller and it feels like a huge upgrade from the Bafang: nearly silent operation, no excess chain wear, smooth acceleration without motor/pedal shifting coordination issues and regenerative braking is awesome.

I use a Satiator for AC charging but find it's too heavy to bring on trips.

I'm running the Grin hub with the Grin PhaseRunner controller and it feels like a huge upgrade from the Bafang: nearly silent operation, no excess chain wear, smooth acceleration without motor/pedal shifting coordination issues and regenerative braking is awesome.
I use a Satiator for AC charging but find it's too heavy to bring on trips.
Can you describe the regen braking at all?
Most of your trips involve a lot of hotel/motels as you don't seem to carry much gear?

Can you describe the regen braking at all?

Sure. With the right motor, motor controller and battery it's possible to recover much of your kinetic energy every time you need to slow down instead of turning it into heat and brake pad dust through your friction brakes. I get 8-12% more range on flat terrain and 15-25% more on hilly terrain thanks to powerful, proportional regenerative braking (up to 1000 watts) which I control through modified brake levers and a throttle which modulates braking power when I touch the brake levers. I haven't needed to change my brake pads in over 10,000 miles (16,000 km). We got into the details in the comments at the bottom of this blog post.

Most of your trips involve a lot of hotel/motels as you don't seem to carry much gear?

On an overnight test trip last week, I weighed in with a total gross vehicle weight of 340 lbs (155 kg) including food, water, gear, rider, bike and trailer. I've been preparing for a 3 year around-the-world trip for the past several years and would be on the road right now if it weren't for COVID. It's mostly going to be camping with hotels/motels only during rainy weather and it places where it's economical. My camping setup is very minimal as it's mostly about the journey and I don't expect to set up camp and stay in any one place for several days. The emphasis on keep weight low when it comes to electric assist and solar is to ensure that every kg is pulling it's weight. I need to be able to take this setup on commercial airline flights and want to be able to to pedal when the weather isn't cooperating. I expect to cover some long distances through remote areas (Alaska, Mongolia, etc.) so I need to carry extra tools and spares and have redundant systems so I can keep going if any one thing goes wrong. More details about the trip and the build on Endless Sphere.

I get 8-12% more range on flat terrain and 15-25% more on hilly terrain thanks to powerful, proportional regenerative braking (up to 1000 watts) which I control through modified brake levers and a throttle which modulates braking power when I touch the brake levers.
Do you have a pressure sensor in the brake levers? If not, wouldn't it be nice.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but EBR did a review recently of a 48v e bike battery solar charger:

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but EBR did a review recently of a 48v e bike battery solar charger:
13.1 pounds (5.94kg), 150W with bag, cables & charge controller (PWM or MPPT?) - Cheap
vs
3.89 pounds (1.76kg), 125W (P3Solar P3-125) without bag & cables but with Genasun GVB-8 Lithium Boost MPPT - Expensive

Not what i'd call lightweight :)

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm trying to build a poor man's "portable power box" using my 48v ebike battery for camping. I have a 48v 1000watt inverter so far ($122). This thread convinced me to order the Boost Solar Controller (the "blue one" from Alex's video). Then I will get a 100 watt panel to start. Compared to a Jackery power station, the cost and specs are very similar-- except you have an ebike battery you can use for your ebike which is a huge benefit. I bought a plastic toolbox to hold all the components. The wiring is pretty easy-- just make a few connections. I could get fancy and put outlets on the outside of the box, but I want to keep it simple. Very exciting! Thanks all

Another option:

New YouTube video showing 3D printed Bosch plug which can be used to charge Bosch batteries from any 42.0V source (charger, solar charge controller, etc.). Looks like most Bosch batteries will accept up to 6A charge.

New YouTube video showing 3D printed Bosch plug which can be used to charge Bosch batteries from any 42.0V source (charger, solar charge controller, etc.). Looks like most Bosch batteries will accept up to 6A charge.

Hmm, wonder why the Bosch Travel, 2A & 4A chargers have 3 conductors & the 6A charger has 4 then!?

Hmm, wonder why the Bosch Travel, 2A & 4A chargers have 3 conductors & the 6A charger has 4 then!?
I was wondering how the 6A charger knows when to limit to 4A for the PowerPack 300 and Classic + Line batteries (as indicated by the note at the bottom of this page) and when it's safe to deliver 6A (presumably, to all other batteries). Maybe the 4th conductor/pin is used to make that determination? All they would need to do is have the 4th pin connect to ground or the 5V pin when plugged into a battery that can handle 6A.

Has anyone tried to charge e-bike batteries with portable solar chargers? I am thinking in the context of extending one's range for camping/fishing multiday trips.

Thanks!
I used to struggle with this, but now I would say it is outrageously simple. All you need is the Ebike MPPT charger from Ebay or Chinese sites and some folding panels. . There are a lot of RV reviews of folding panels on ebay. Folded, they would be easy to carry, but no power. Of Course.

I was blown away by the efficiency of the controller. I was using a 100 watt panel in cloudy conditions and getting a full amp at 52V. I guess with full sun I might get 75 watts. To me, that is good and I will just bring out a panel when I need to charge.

I was looking at a 200 watt folder on Ebay, folds to 20 by 20 for $230. Sellers come and go. Some seem to work, some seem to go bad, but the folded size on many is very good. The 200 watts would be good if you got that. I'm thinking 3A of charge into a 48v battery. I soldered XT60 connectors on the controller and my DIY batteries use XT60's. So it's plug and play. Plug in the panel, plug in the battery. You might want to set the voltage on the controller. It seems a bit high.

Good review... here is another article from Electrek on a DIY Solar charger.

DIY solar charger for an electric bicycle - made easy! (electrek.co)

1611884086412.png

The Ebike MPPT charger, which one would that be? Do you have any links or photo's please?
Ebay listing was LED MPPT Boost Solar Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller 24V-72V CTK300-II

I think my seller was wojiaoneline. $40. Oneline, not online.

Didn't take that long, 3 weeks. Many listings all clustered at that price. US ship probably more.

Attachments

• PXL_20210128_180511665 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210128_180511665 (1).jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 255
Ebay listing was LED MPPT Boost Solar Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller 24V-72V CTK300-II

I think my seller was wojiaoneline. $40. Oneline, not online.

Didn't take that long, 3 weeks. Many listings all clustered at that price. US ship probably more.
Thanks, found it on AliExpress (AUD10 cheaper direct compared to ebay or amazon) and pretty sure this is the original company/shop front:
or cheaper still:

Back