Buyer beware, blatant lying on Specialized UK website!

I own a current model Turbo Vado 4.0 Have noticed when you go into the model page for the Turbo Vado on the UK website it lists various things and states 130km and 600Wh as the battery. You scroll further down and it again shows a picture of my identical bike stating the 130km range underneath. This is totally untrue. When you then go onto the individual model page, every single UK model comes with a 500Wh battery or less.
The 600Wh is an optional extra second battery and adds nearly £1000 onto the price of the bike!
Specialized is both big enough and tech savvy enough to know they shouldn’t be misleading customers like this. If you need to spend a further £800 to £1000 to get what is stated they should do the right thing and make it obvious.

where are you seeing 600?

If you go to the specific page for each model in the tech specs it lists a 500 wh battery coming with the bike. Besides, who's to say you can't do 130 km's on the 500 wh battery? Range is dependent on a lot of things. My Creo only has a 320 wh battery and based upon my experience I think I could get more than 130 km range on a full charge without using the range extender.

It would be nice is the dealers would allow you to pay a difference to upgrade the 500 wh to 600 wh battery to keep the cost of the upgrade down. I can see why one wouldn't want to buy a 2nd battery which as you point out is quite expensive.

My guess is the "600 wh" is from the USA literature and is for the 5.0 model which also has the stronger 1.3 motor.

IMO, the op got it right, Spec. should correct.

My guess is the "600 wh" is from the USA literature and is for the 5.0 model which also has the stronger 1.3 motor.

IMO, the op got it right, Spec. should correct.

That makes sense. In Canada they say the bikes will go 28 mph/45 kph, but it's common knowledge that our bikes are restricted to 32 km/hr. - same issue in that they just put the US content on our countries website and don't adapt it.

So people selling things lie, obfuscate, or exaggerate in marketing materials. Who'd a thunk it?

Caveat emptor.

That makes sense. In Canada they say the bikes will go 28 mph/45 kph, but it's common knowledge that our bikes are restricted to 32 km/hr. - same issue in that they just put the US content on our countries website and don't adapt it.

Actually in North America Class 3 Bikes will go 28 mph/45 kph. Also picked up my Turbo Vado SL 5.0 on Friday. Before that I owned an IZip E3 Moda

Maybe in the US bikes are allowed to go 28/45, but not in Canada. That's why models like the Domane+ HP aren't offered in Canada.

Actually in North America Class 3 Bikes will go 28 mph/45 kph. Also picked up my Turbo Vado SL 5.0 on Friday. Before that I owned an IZip E3 Moda

As Captain Slow mentioned, Class 3 is only for the US market (unfortunately). Legal motor cut-off in Canada is 32kph for ALL ebikes.

Specialized are a complicated company. For example, Speed Pedelecs are allowed in the UK (under some conditions) but Specialized doesn't offer them for Britain. On contrary, the Polish site of Specialized offers Vado 6.0, which is an S-Pedelec with 600 Wh battery, 48T chainring and premium components. The 6.0 is not offered in the United States either.
Ye Goode Ole Specialized.

Please show me one company that doesn't stretch the truth when it comes to battery mileage.
Although I understand and support your view Thomas, there is one company that does not cheat on the battery range. It is http://lovelec.cz They promise range of 135 km on a single 576 Wh battery for their Diadem e-bike. My brother was able to ride the distance of 140 km on such a single battery with Lovelec Diadem, only using PAS 1. The thing often forgotten is the rider's power input. Besides, hub-drive motors are set to constant assistance for given PAS level unless torque sensing is used.

Specialized are a complicated company. For example, Speed Pedelecs are allowed in the UK (under some conditions) but Specialized doesn't offer them for Britain. On contrary, the Polish site of Specialized offers Vado 6.0, which is an S-Pedelec with 600 Wh battery, 48T chainring and premium components. The 6.0 is not offered in the United States either.
Ye Goode Ole Specialized.
Yes, I get the impression that they have been overwhelmed with demand and have not really kept up with accurate info and decent support. Vado 5.0 and 6.0 appeared on the UK website for a while. You could never order them and then they disappeared again. Chaos at Spec HQ!

Although I understand and support your view Thomas, there is one company that does not cheat on the battery range. It is http://lovelec.cz They promise range of 135 km on a single 576 Wh battery for their Diadem e-bike. My brother was able to ride the distance of 140 km on such a single battery with Lovelec Diadem, only using PAS 1. The thing often forgotten is the rider's power input. Besides, hub-drive motors are set to constant assistance for given PAS level unless torque sensing is used.

Range is such a loaded question. Most folks (myself included at times) wonder if we'll have enough "gas in the tank" for a ride, totally valid! It all depends on your riding style and how much you're asking of the motor. If you want the max range, then YOU need to work and put the motor in the low setting and use the easy gears! Your speed drops (of course) and you'll have more of a cardio workout, but you'll often get the range. Don't forget terrain, wind, rain, dirt, drivetrain (cleanliness too), etc.

I can't imagine having a brand being so global trying to satisfy all markets with different regulations. If there's any question call/email/text your local shop! Most often than not the question can be put to bed easily. If a mistake was made ordering through the Specialized site the dealer can work with the brand to send the bike back and correct the issue at no cost to consumer, been through this myself.

Mistakes happen, at least you're out riding!

I absolutely agree with you, Brendon. To get the max range, a cyclist has to provide a lot of own input. My brother was trying everything possible to decrease the Vado pedal-assistance so he could ride not faster than 20 mph. The minimum 20/20 support provided by Mission Control was too much for his strong legs. He's playing with Smart Control to decrease the support even more. It turned out he could ride some 85-90 miles on a single 604 Wh Vado battery. I can make 40 miles max on the same e-bike.

I’m not sure “mistakes happen” is the brand reputation Specialized is aiming for. Although you have a point, if I could argue I was mislead into my purchase perhaps I could get the 600Wh battery for free! They are asking people to spend £3000 plus on a pedal bicycle. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect crystal clear info on the website.
Ive never ever been on such a roller coaster journey with any product I’ve ever bought before. I would love to shout from the rooftops about how much I love my bike. But whilst my local dealer has been beyond outstanding, Specialized themselves have not. If you are interested, you could also look up the complete farce over the smartphone App. This was yet another lie on their website as it never existed. I owned the bike for more than a year and had to have the entire computer and wiring changed in order to get the smartphone App I was promised already existed when I bought the bike.
”Mistakes Happen” indeed..... Lets get them to make it their new brand logo.

I owned the bike for more than a year and had to have the entire computer and wiring changed in order to get the smartphone App I was promised already existed when I bought the bike.
I guess it was done as a warranty service? I paid nothing for the huge upgrade of my 2017 Vado 5.0 to the TCD-W, which meant dismantling 3/4 of the e-bike and replacing how many?.. Nine important parts? (Since the bike was bought as new in 2019, I was entitled to the warranty service). Note Specialized made the upgrade to meet their earlier promises and they eventually met those promises.

I agree, Specialized are not clear on their website and prefer marketing gibberish over saying sheer truth but I must admit the brand honourably extricated themselves from really dire situation, bearing high cost on their part.

We cannot be only negative. At least I love my Vado now.

Back