BULLS tire taped to rim?

Bully

I recently purchased a BULLS E-Stream Evo 3 27.5 Plus and on my second offroad ride I had the misfortune of getting a flat on my front tire. I removed the wheel and after much effort I finally managed to break the bead one side of the tire.

After I removed the tube I discovered that the blue rim tape actually tapes one side edge of the tire to the rim! About one-third of the width of the tape is over the inside edge of the tire and the other two-thirds is on the rim.

Is this normal? It makes it very, very difficult to remove the tire from the rim. It will make it necessary to remove the rim tape when removing the tire. The tire will wear out eventually and you will have to remove it. It doesn't make sense.

I recently purchased a BULLS E-Stream Evo 3 27.5 Plus and on my second offroad ride I had the misfortune of getting a flat on my front tire. I removed the wheel and after much effort I finally managed to break the bead one side of the tire.

After I removed the tube I discovered that the blue rim tape actually tapes one side edge of the tire to the rim! About one-third of the width of the tape is over the inside edge of the tire and the other two-thirds is on the rim.

Is this normal? It makes it very, very difficult to remove the tire from the rim. It will make it necessary to remove the rim tape when removing the tire. The tire will wear out eventually and you will have to remove it. It doesn't make sense.
I have the same bike and always have a very hard time breaking the bead, even though my rim tape doesn't overlap the tire (it's not installed well, however, I'd probably have to re-do it to go tubeless). Then, my LBS guy shared his bead-breaking trick with me...

With the tube deflated, lay the tire and rim on top of a round trash can (lid removed, of course). My 35 gal can fits the 27.5" rim just fine. Using the bases of your thumbs, push down on the tire's sidewalls to break the bead, working your way around the whole wheel. Do this on both sides, and removing the tire should be much easier.

Last edited:
Also have the same bike and agree with previous comment. Don’t think it’s the tape but rather the Schwabe bead is very tough to get over the rim. I use three heavy duty tire levers to get the job done, especially getting the bead back over the rim after switching the tube or tire. I had a blow out when i first got the bike on the tire side wall due to riding in rocky areas. Rather than go tubeless, I upgraded to a 1mm tube (filled w Slime) and purchased thicker side walled Nobby Nics. Since I did this (about one year ago) I’ve had no flats and rarely (like never) have to put air in either tire. I know I’m in the minority but I don’t trust tubeless (have riden them in the past for years).

Hi, The tape is not supposed to be on the tire. Its supposed to cover the holes in the rim. New mtb tires seem like they are mostly tubeless design.
No matter if your rims are set up tube or tubeless, this design clips into the sidewalls of the rim and makes a seal that needs to be broken.

Also, if your having a tough time getting the tires off the rim, try breaking the bead off both sides of the tire. Then move the side your working
on into the center of the rim where the circumference is smaller. Then you will have more room to get the place your starting on to slide over
the rim. Hope that helps!

Those three inch tires are wicked hard to get off the rims! I've gone down to 2 inches which are a pleasure by comparison. With the plus sized tires I practically broke my thumbs trying to squeeze the bead away from the wheel. I know it's a no-no but I had to take a flat edge screwdriver to pry the bead inward. I don't know why it is but from my experience, it's normal. Today I had to change the tube on the fly (nail) at the side of the road. The 2 inch tire popped right off and I was on my way in fifteen minutes.

(Of course if you need the plus size for cross-country or downhill reducing to 2" might not be an option for you.)

Back