BULLS announces new 150-mile-range trekking electric bike

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
Here is the detailed review posted on Electrek... ;)

The bike features a Brose drivetrain including a 750 Wh battery hidden in the downtube. Very few electric bikes can tout a battery with that kind of capacity.
BULLS rates the bike with an “umatched 150-mile optimal range,” which translates to 241 km for the rest of the world. The “unmatched” part is (nearly) spot on, though we’ll talk about how realistic that kind of range is in a moment. For power, BULLS went with the Brose Drive S, a mid-drive electric bike motor normally found on electric mountain bikes, thanks to its more rugged design.

The bike is limited to Class 1 speeds, meaning the motor won’t assist past 20 mph (32 km/h), and there’s also no throttle. That means you’ll be pedaling full time. But with up to 410% power amplification in the Brose Drive S, the motor can do most of the work for you if you select the highest power assist level.

The BULLS Lacuba Evo Lite is designed as a premium electric bike and thus features high-end components including a Gates Carbon Belt Drive and a Shimano Nexus 5 internally geared hub. When you’re 2,000 miles into a cross-country trip, the last thing you want to deal with is a busted chain. Plus, between the belt drive inside the Brose motor and the Gates belt drive powering the rear wheel, this has got to be one of the quietest bikes out there.

A 63 mm travel suspension fork provides some cushioning up front, and Shimano BR-MT400 hydraulic disc brakes handle the stopping. Lights, fenders, and a rear rack also come standard, as they should on any eTrekking bike worth its weight (which is 49 lb or 22 kg, by the way). The bike is available in multiple sizes and comes in three frame styles, including wave, diamond, and step-through. You ready for the price? The BULLS Lacuba Evo Lite will set you back $4,799. That’s a lot of trekking.

1578449209558.png

Attachments

• 1578448966531.png
    1578448966531.png
    811.8 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
Where I live (Canada) this bike lists for approximately the same price as the Specialized Vado 5. Given the choice, I think I'd go with the Lacuba Evo Lite.

Where I live (Canada) this bike lists for approximately the same price as the Specialized Vado 5. Given the choice, I think I'd go with the Lacuba Evo Lite.
At nearly $4800 it's definitely not 'lite' on the pocketbook. Imagine what the battery replacement cost will be !

Trek Allant has 625wh+500wh xtra pack-6k . 28mph+ .

Newest BH’s will have in March the 720wh 21700 cells packs. Around 3-4k.

And then there is Specialized, Giant, Felt, Raleigh and the others...

Or the WattWagon which I greatly start to like - if it was made w/o the Rohloff hub it could havE been the Nr. 1 Ebike and Ebiker’s next ebike 😉

Sadly with that expensive hub the full price is 7k. Too much.

I simply don't think it'll do 100 miles even.
At 15 whr/ mile for a class 1 bike, with 750whr battery would do ~60 miles but not more.

This kind of range estimate is what real journalists abhor...
Maybe you should try one, and see if it's legit ? ;)

Doing is often better than just thinking.

I simply don't think it'll do 100 miles even.
At 15 whr/ mile for a class 1 bike, with 750whr battery would do ~60 miles but not more.

This kind of range estimate is what real journalists abhor...
Agree on advertised optimistic ranges. But it’s very much about speed. And support level of course.
You may be right about about the 60 mile range especially if the rider would try to go near the 20mph cut off speed all the time and that is maybe what a lot of riders would do.
I think 100 miles is possible. On my Vado 5 with 604Whr battery I’ve needed 7-8 Whr/mile (5Wh/km) lately. My bike is limited to 25km/h ( actually doing 29km or 18mph now). This is on Marathon Plus tires and at 45-50°F. I feel I can safely plan 65 miles summer rides in and have 20% charge left as a margin on my 604Wh battery.
But I am in Eco mode 90% of my rides and I don’t try to go 18mph all the time and use my 11 gears. ( well usually 9 of them)
I guess the 5 speed Nexus could affect range for me if low gear isnkt low enough but I don’t know anything of its gear ratios.

Court reviewed the bike. No date on review but the video is posted 2019 July 18

Trek Allant has 625wh+500wh xtra pack-6k . 28mph+ .

Newest BH’s will have in March the 720wh 21700 cells packs. Around 3-4k.

And then there is Specialized, Giant, Felt, Raleigh and the others...

Or the WattWagon which I greatly start to like - if it was made w/o the Rohloff hub it could havE been the Nr. 1 Ebike and Ebiker’s next ebike 😉

Sadly with that expensive hub the full price is 7k. Too much.
Umm... ping me - i might have a little surprise in the works :)

On my Vado 5 with 604Whr battery I’ve needed 7-8 Whr/mile (5Wh/km) lately.
The last 5% of battery on Vado is unusable. So you might correct the battery capacity to 604 * 0.95 = 574 Wh and adjust the wattage per km. I agree that the speed is a major contribution to the range as well as the rider's own power input is (Eco instead of Sport).

Back