Bull's 4th gen Bosch first ride very limited power uphill.

The software containers matter and values like wheel circumference can be configured by the manufacturer.
It makes sense, thank you!

It's the law in Europe that dictates it. Has to be street legal. Not like here in the US where there are no laws.
Bosch produces a batch of motors for a given region, with the speed limitation hardcoded for the hardware (no one can change it). Specialized motors are only hardcoded for a single instance, which is the Euro L1e-B 1.2s motor. The rest are not hardcoded and can be used worldwide as the market situation dictates it. A batch of e-bikes sent from Taiwan to the United States is programmed regionally by the distributor, and a given e-bike model is geofenced for the given region; the regional dealer has a limited possibility to change the wheel circumference (but that can be done except for the 1.2s motor). I do not deny two levels of wheel circumference might be used by Specialized too. Only Specialized does not hardcode the motor for the region.

A good example is the Specialized Tero. The ebike has the same motor but is geofenced to 25 km/h in Europe or Australia, 32 km/h for Canada, and it used to be a Class 1 e-bike in the United States. However, Specialized later decided the Tero should be Class 3 in the U.S. The firmware configuration for the model was changed; new models have been released for Class 3, and existing users could ask the dealer for the firmware upgrade.

Not doable for Bosch e-bikes.

P.S. My 2017 L1e-B Vado 5.0 was hardcoded with the wrong wheel circumference of 2300 mm. The dealer was shocked himself seeing the WhC parameter read-only (all other Vados had several WhC options to choose from in the Turbo Studio). In 2021, Specialized released a firmware update for its L1e-B Euro S-Pedelecs with the more correct value of 2255 mm.

Last edited:
Called bulls today and got it sorted out.
Glad that you got it sorted out.

We have the Bosch Performance CX motor and as you have now found out, it flies up hills. We’ve never had to get off the saddle to pedal up any hill.

DG…

Last edited:
One last question. Is bulls a reputable brand? I saw some specialized bikes for similar money and hope I didn't make a mistake.
it is but service is not the best. they only warranty the frame or their parts everything else goes through the manufacturers. so it's not like specialized or trek with full support. found that out when my rim cracked in less then 2 years.

Back