Bought Cannondale Topstone Neo5

Any difference between the Cannondale app and the bosch ebike connect? The shop never mentioned ebike connect/bosch website.

Me too. I downloaded and linked up the cannondale app. the shop never mentioned the bosch ebike-connect app and their website to make/import/export routes. Looking at both apps the cannondale app looks just like the bosch. Guess I'll play around and see what works. Thanks for the assistance fooferdoggie!

Me too. I downloaded and linked up the cannondale app. the shop never mentioned the bosch ebike-connect app and their website to make/import/export routes. Looking at both apps the cannondale app looks just like the bosch. Guess I'll play around and see what works. Thanks for the assistance fooferdoggie!
I was wondering sicne the Kiox will only connect to the ebike connect. I wish bosch would be more versatile.

Fooferdoggie I finally figured out the two apps. the cannondale app appears to mostly keep track of miles and maintenance. ebike-connect does routes, and interacts with strava pretty well. there are a few videos on youtube that walk you through it. Without you guys I would still be wandering around clueless. lol

Fooferdoggie I finally figured out the two apps. the cannondale app appears to mostly keep track of miles and maintenance. ebike-connect does routes, and interacts with strava pretty well. there are a few videos on youtube that walk you through it. Without you guys I would still be wandering around clueless. lol
usually the kiox would tell you to take the bike in to get checked if the dealer set it up. everything else like chain and tires you have to work that out yourself as it depends on so many things.

Larry.
Any chance of a photo of the chain guard location?
I'm in Australia and the LBS / Cannondale replaceing a cracked 2019 synapse neo (2x11) frame with a Topstone Neo. These are not available in Aus for me to look at.
My real question. Is it capable of having a front deraileur?
Topstone Neo Carbons are 2X, so I thoufght these should be capable.
LBS saying no, but maybe there is someting else going on.
Cheers

My topstone neo carbon 2 is 2x. The 3 & 5 are 1x. The neo 2 is a closeout bike, so they may not have the 2x frames anymore.
Honestly with the Bosch power I rarely drop down on the front derailleur, only on serious climbs. Give Cannondale a call some night. lol

Larry.
I'm in Australia and the LBS / Cannondale replaceing a cracked 2019 synapse neo (2x11) frame with a Topstone Neo. These are not available in Aus for me to look at.
Cheers
The topstone 3 is 2x capable but would need a front derailleur, new crankset (with spider and rings), new left brifter not to mention the cable routing / housing. Just way too much work and money - an effort I'd rather spend going di2 or etap. Having both a 2x analog gravel and 1x gravel ebike honestly the Bosch is great and makes 2x unnecessary.

What I found lacking on the top end I was able to fix by replacing the front chainring. The bike came with a 44t up front and an 11-42 cassette. I've replaced the cassette with an XT 11-46 which to me is best on those 6-18% climbs around here. On the front ring I've gone 46t and 48t. In my opinion the 46/46 is the ideal sweet spot that gives a fairly easy climbing gear while not spinning out too often.

Last edited:
Larry.
Cheers
Hello
Hope this helps. I would not recommend an E Bike with a front derailleur I had a Trek E Bike with 2x chain ring up front and I dropped the chain a couple of times I returned the bike to Trek and got a full refund. The Neo 5 setup is perfect for me. Read my comments that I posted when I bought it.

Attachments

• tempImageoXEVci.png
    tempImageoXEVci.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 45
Being in Australia means many things, but one is our e-bikes are limited to 25km/h assist (~ 15.5 km/h).
I use this bike specifically for commuting ~ 30~ 39 km each way depending on the route I take. My average speed is over the assist level so I am non assisted for much / most of the ride. Have a few hills, mostly right at the start or finish of the ride that are pretty decent. I therefore want small jumps in the cassette for when I am over 25km/h, and gears low enough not to grind with assist on those hills.
The current bike (Synapse Neo) was pretty good in this regard. Is/Was a 2x (11s 50/34, 11-36) and I'd drop it to the small ring only for the steepest of hills. Motor was a Bosch Gen 3
The Topstone (5?) frame needs a Bosch Gen 4 and the 2x chainrings and cranks from the Synapse / Gen 3 do not fit.
The LBS / Cannondale (who have been pretty good on this) is offering a 1x12 (full groupset and brakes as Synapse was shimano, Their proposal is SRAM) and I do not know if this is because the frame won't take a front deraileur, or if they didn't / cannot get the 2x spider (not on the cranks) needed.
Not keen on 12s for durability (and part costs) though it may be a workable solution with the right chainring and cassette, (but I do not know what they are proposing yet.)
Hence wanting a good picture (close up) of the topstone where a front deraileur would go to figure out what is going on.
Profile of the commute (going home) below.

1702154022002.png

REI had the Topstone Neo 5 on close-out for a very low price. I couldn't resist and bought one, as it is as close to my dream bike now that I am in my 70's. My question is, how hard is it to retrofit the Nyon to this bike? I took a chance and purchased the Nyon retrofit kit, also at a rediculous price (>$200) as the Purion display is the one weakness I see. Just not enough info on it. I am open to what rear racks work best, and any other tips anyone might have for this bike. Thanks!

REI had the Topstone Neo 5 on close-out for a very low price. I couldn't resist and bought one, as it is as close to my dream bike now that I am in my 70's. My question is, how hard is it to retrofit the Nyon to this bike? I took a chance and purchased the Nyon retrofit kit, also at a rediculous price (>$200) as the Purion display is the one weakness I see. Just not enough info on it. I am open to what rear racks work best, and any other tips anyone might have for this bike. Thanks!
Any chance you could measure the rear hub on the Neo 5? Specs say 142x12, but the warranty frame that came measured 148x12. (Also came 1 size too big and got sent back) if 148x12 they need to sort out the rear wheel.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Any chance you could measure the rear hub on the Neo 5? Specs say 142x12, but the warranty frame that came measured 148x12. (Also came 1 size too big and got sent back) if 148x12 they need to sort out the rear wheel.
Thanks.
The bike is still in the Build stage at REI. It should be ready Wednesday or Thursday this week. Once I have it, I will measure the dropout width as well as the axle width and report back. Cheers!

The bike is still in the Build stage at REI. It should be ready Wednesday or Thursday this week. Once I have it, I will measure the dropout width as well as the axle width and report back. Cheers!
Thanks Weigle2. Appreciate it.

I'd have to say the Purion display left me with disappointment on what it does. So I went ahead and purchased the Nyon unit to replace it. I have worked as a bike Mechanic the last 13 years, but never on a bike like this. The questions are:

1) How difficult is it to snake the wire from the Nyon mount through the frame? It looks like a very tight fit in there and the Purion wire is only visible at the very top and bottom of the battery mount.
2) The connector on the end of the new cable, (and probably the Purion, too) is too big to fit through the plastic fitting on the right side of the head tube. It looks like the plastic fitting is removable after taking out the exposed screw at the top of the down tube. The big 'but' to this, is there a nut on the inside of the head tube that could possible fall off, and require complete removal of the fork?
3) How much disassembly is involved with removal of the left cover on the motor? Will the left crank arm need to be removed?
4) Will dropping the motor connect the new, and remove the old wire void the Cannondale warranty?
5) Is it too involved to do this install, and would it be better to have it done where I purchased the bike (REI). It would be an hourly charge and their rate for that is $115.00/Hr. That's way more than what my boss charged for custom work, which may be why
he went out of business last summer.

I would appreciate any help/advice anyone can give, no matter how trivial it may be. Thanks.

Ok, bike is finally 'home'. I have measured the distance from nut to nut on the rear wheel and it is indeed 142mm which is what the spec says from Cannondale. My bike was produced in January 2023 if that makes any difference.
Thanks. I appreciate it.
My bike supposedly done. May get it back this week.

Got my bike back. Correct size frame this time.
I did measure the rear triangle on it and it is again a 148mm.
So that's 2 from 2.
My guess is Cannondale are building frames at 148 and jamming 142mm hubs in.
Not the end of the world, but does make it a little harder to locate the hub and skewer / axle.
Weigle2. Next time you have the rear wheel out, can you measure the frame.
Not urgent. I'm just going to run it and tell the bike shop so if something craps itself, there is a record.

Back