Bosch MY2022 updates

onlineaddy

Region
USA
City
San Diego, CA, USA
Many hardware and software updates for MY2022 have been announced by Bosch. Here's a quick list of some of them:
  • PowerTube 750 Wh battery offering 20% more capacity
  • Kiox 300 buttonless display and remote w/color-changing LEDs
  • Flow mobile app
    • OTA updates
    • Automatic recording of riding activity using sensors from bike
  • Bike-to-X communication (planned)
  • SOS (planned)
  • GPS-based anti theft (planned)
Bosch-eBike_smart-system_7_LEDRemote_Kiox300_EN.jpg

Source: https://electrek.co/2021/08/31/bosch-electric-bikes-get-smarter-travel-farther-2022-updates/

Last edited:
This is clean slate design with no backs compatability. Sometimes its better to start afresh, maintaining compatability with old systems can be headache and results in compromises.
New battery connector, charger and I'm picking different controller connector.
For now smaller frames that can't use longer 750WH will be running older system and batteries. New 500 and 625WH batteries will become available but may have to wait few months. There is lot to be said for having spare 500WH to lighten eMTB for shorter rides.

Downside is if you have spare battery for existing bike it won't any use on new bike.
I'm assuming rest of motors will eventually be moved over to this new system.

I have Bosch Nyon (old landscape version) one one bike and Smartphone hub on another.

Both possess rock solid 2015 tech. Both need software update. Maybe Bosch should hire a Santa Clara geek to redesign interfaces. North America has some of the smartest people on the planet I opine. That comtinent also has some of the most stupid judging by some posts in this forum.

Also I’d like to see a Bosch Controller full auto option offered to stand beside the manual- Eco, Tour, Sport, Turbo. I would design this so that the torque sensor would recognize if the rider was struggling and automatically provide the power needed.

After all if my smart Texas designed Enviolo Automatiq can sense this and seemlessly change the gearing to meet the riders need why not the motor. I understand some riders like pushing buttons and pulling levers but at nearly 80 the more automation the better I say.

I would design this so that the torque sensor would recognize if the rider was struggling and automatically provide the power needed.
I think if you have the new performance CX and get the most recent update, it should have a new mode called emb mode which does this to some extent. I think it stands for E mountain Bike mode, iirc.

Edit: they also have something called the Tour+ mode (which I believe requires an update to the motor software as well). I don't know how these 2 modes differ, maybe someone can chime in, if they want.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share this. He goes over Some the new updates.

Edit: The only new information that stood out was that it should be ready (the Kiox 300 and customization app) for this Christmas. Not sure if this was already stated or not. Also, he mentions you can ride without the display and use only the adjuster (user controls on the handlebar). So the display he described as "optional". Bosch says they will still require your selections to be compatible to their "standards of quality", so not every combination will be available I'm guessing.

Edit 2: Sorry, they don't mention anything about the planned releases such as the V2X integration or the SOS functionality. Maybe someone can find a better video on that. No idea what time frame those are scheduled for though.

Last edited:
I have Bosch Nyon (old landscape version) one one bike and Smartphone hub on another.

Both possess rock solid 2015 tech. Both need software update. Maybe Bosch should hire a Santa Clara geek to redesign interfaces. North America has some of the smartest people on the planet I opine. That comtinent also has some of the most stupid judging by some posts in this forum.

Also I’d like to see a Bosch Controller full auto option offered to stand beside the manual- Eco, Tour, Sport, Turbo. I would design this so that the torque sensor would recognize if the rider was struggling and automatically provide the power needed.

After all if my smart Texas designed Enviolo Automatiq can sense this and seemlessly change the gearing to meet the riders need why not the motor. I understand some riders like pushing buttons and pulling levers but at nearly 80 the more automation the better I say.
If you use Custom Modes, and program so that assistance starts high and decreases with speed (and of course the opposite as you slow down), you will essentially have your Auto mode. I’ve done 60 mile rides with gradients up to 12% or so without ever changing out of one Custom Mode.

Sad, Nyon '21 is likely doomed and needs sooo much more development to make its navigation usable. This will split budgets and internal advancement of older platforms will slow to a crawl.

Sad, Nyon '21 is likely doomed and needs sooo much more development to make its navigation usable. This will split budgets and internal advancement of older platforms will slow to a crawl.
I think if they really neglect doing any updates on older products altogether, I probably would switch brands for my next ebike. Of course, I just got mine so that might be awhile lol :D

Yeah - worried about the future of my Nyon with my new eBike too. Just got mine less than a month ago...Nyon seems decently connected - especially when it's in the house connected to wifi. I paid and unlocked custom riding modes and it seems to work well for me. I haven't done an update on the head unit since its so new, but assuming it also offers at least head unit OTA update when connected to wifi?

So with something like Nyon, why would Bosch not be able to provide similar functionality as the "new system"...basically use the Nyon as the hub and brains - allow the new dynamic modes to be loaded via OTA?
Does anyone here know how a bike shop flashes updates to the motor?....do they go through the head units or us there another connector, usb jack or method of communicating with the motor?...

Cheers

-Sam

Yeah - worried about the future of my Nyon with my new eBike too. Just got mine less than a month ago...Nyon seems decently connected - especially when it's in the house connected to wifi. I paid and unlocked custom riding modes and it seems to work well for me. I haven't done an update on the head unit since its so new, but assuming it also offers at least head unit OTA update when connected to wifi?

So with something like Nyon, why would Bosch not be able to provide similar functionality as the "new system"...basically use the Nyon as the hub and brains - allow the new dynamic modes to be loaded via OTA?
Does anyone here know how a bike shop flashes updates to the motor?....do they go through the head units or us there another connector, usb jack or method of communicating with the motor?...

Cheers

-Sam
Yes the Nyon can be updated OTA, just upgraded my Nyon to V 2.XX. It was straightforward and painless. Haven't rode since upgrade so will be interesting to see if there are any notable improvements.

Bought three bikes with Kiox this past summer; most recent one was just two months back. Needless to say I'll be pretty unhappy if this means the existing lines are being abandoned for updates.

Rode my 1st century on my 2019 Domane+ last weekend. Strava said 6,700 feet of climbing; Nyon said 8,300'. Conserved battery in the 1st half and ended up with ~20% of battery left. Head unit kept all data as a single ride but when I went to the website it had broken the century into 4 different rides. I tried not to dawdle at rest stops and didn't ever turn the head unit off. I can't recall if it ever went dark at one of the rest stops.

This seems to be a pretty significant flaw. Instead of having 1 long ride to review my stats on, I have to piece together the 4 rides it was broken into. I seem to recall an earlier suggestion that all rides on a single day would be combined into a single ride but that didn't happen as I just checked the website and it still shows as 4 separate rides.

I don't know if it matters, but I still have never been able to get my head unit to connect to my phone via BT. I have it connecting to my home and office website so it is able to sync routes and rides pretty seemlessly, but I don't have any ability to interact between phone and head unit (particularly when I am riding).

Really love the ability to upload Ride w/ GPX routes to the website and then sync to the head unit via WiFi to ride the route.

Rode my 1st century on my 2019 Domane+ last weekend. Strava said 6,700 feet of climbing; Nyon said 8,300'. Conserved battery in the 1st half and ended up with ~20% of battery left. Head unit kept all data as a single ride but when I went to the website it had broken the century into 4 different rides. I tried not to dawdle at rest stops and didn't ever turn the head unit off. I can't recall if it ever went dark at one of the rest stops.

This seems to be a pretty significant flaw. Instead of having 1 long ride to review my stats on, I have to piece together the 4 rides it was broken into. I seem to recall an earlier suggestion that all rides on a single day would be combined into a single ride but that didn't happen as I just checked the website and it still shows as 4 separate rides.

I don't know if it matters, but I still have never been able to get my head unit to connect to my phone via BT. I have it connecting to my home and office website so it is able to sync routes and rides pretty seemlessly, but I don't have any ability to interact between phone and head unit (particularly when I am riding).

Really love the ability to upload Ride w/ GPX routes to the website and then sync to the head unit via WiFi to ride the route.
yes the way it records rides like that is a pain. so I still use my garmin to record my ride info and send it to strava. I should compare altitude info to my garmin they both have a altimeter but in.

I see this with my Kiox. If I take a break then ride, app shows 2 rides. If I go to the Bosch Connect webpage, I can choose Activities from the menu and it shows one ride. This is what I upload to Strava. I also have little faith in the elevation data(which was recently added in a Kiox update).

Back