Bosch MY2022 updates

Yes! Purion does most everything I need tho I admit I’d like a couple more features like cadence.
Similar feeling here. I was using Purion on Gazelle C8 and it worked great. What I wanted extra is cadence (and possibly hearrate) display + ability to upload rides to Strava/Komoot, so when I was fetting C380+ I asked for SmarphoneHub upgrade abd it gave me both (even more). Would be nice to have better navigation on it as well, but I am most ofter riding on the routes I know and don't really need navigation. But when I need, I just use Garmin Edge Explore (which I use solovly for this purpose). Pretty happy with the setup, so far it was working great and I don't really think I want to upgrade to Kiox or Nyon (what they really can offer me over the SmartphoneHub + Garmin combo??)

P.S. Ah, one more thing I wanted and SmartphoneHub gave me as well is a way to charge my phone during ride.

Last edited:
for the most part the best way to get those is to use a gamin. you get heart rate cadence uploads long battery life. I still use it after the nyon upgrade to record rides to strava and add my activity to apple health.

for the most part the best way to get those is to use a gamin. you get heart rate cadence uploads long battery life. I still use it after the nyon upgrade to record rides to strava and add my activity to apple health.
For Garmin to do this I would need to add dedicated cadence sensor to the bike (I don't think it can get anything from Bosch system, unlike some other bikes like Specialized). Plus you need Garmin always with you and charged. Does Garmin do better job recording the rides comparing to SmartphoneHub? I doubt so (I know it can sync with power sensors, O2 level stuff, etc., but I don't really care about that data much - I am riding for commute and fun, this data doesn't add much value to me).

Last edited:
For Garmin to do this I would need to add dedicated cadence sensor to the bike (I don't think it can get anything from Bosch system, unlike some other bikes like Specialized). Plus you need Garmin always with you and charged. Does Garmin do better job recording the rides comparing to SmartphoneHub? I doubt so (I know it can sync with power sensors, O2 level stuff, etc., but I don't really care about that data much - I am riding for commute and fun, this data doesn't add much value to me).
At least with my Trek with a Bosch DU, cadence is reported, because it shows up in cobi.bike. Since I doubt that Trek had a customized fitness screen developed, I'm pretty sure the Bosch system reports it to the smartphone hub.

Interesting to see at least one cobi.bike user that's satisfied. I continue to find it frustrating and quirky. The map, for me, is unusable because it's contrast on my phone is too low. I've posted before how navigation goes into hibernation when you're in the fitness screen - no turn announcements, distance doesn't decrement. Yet, if I'm not using navigation, the same spot (upper left) that shows mileage left when you're navigating a route, that freezes in the fitness screen, shows mileage covered when you're not navigating, even in the fitness screen. So sometimes mileage works, sometimes it doesn't. Very strange.

cadence sensors are only 22.00 gramin does great recording a ride if you pause for a mean you can just turn it off then turn it back on and it will resume. I already had it when I had the purion so I don't know if I would buy it after the nyon. but since I have it it works well. mine has altimiter so I get accurate elevation and grade and temperature.

I'm pretty sure the Bosch system reports it to the smartphone hub.
It DOES report it to the SmartphoneHub, and I see it in Strava as well, no problem here. My point was that if I use Garmin to upload my activities to Strava instead of SmartphoneHub, I will need dedicated cadence sensor, since Bosch doesn't share this data with 3rd-party devices.

It DOES report it to the SmartphoneHub, and I see it in Strava as well, no problem here. My point was that if I use Garmin to upload my activities to Strava instead of SmartphoneHub, I will need dedicated cadence sensor, since Bosch doesn't share this data with 3rd-party devices.
yes but thats not a big deal.

does great recording a ride if you pause for a mean you can just turn it off then turn it back on and it will resume
Cobi.BIKE app has pause functionality which works fine as well (at least so far, will test it further).
I already had it when I had the purion so I don't know if I would buy it after the nyon. but since I have it it works well. mine has altimiter so I get accurate elevation and grade and temperature.
Makes sense, use what works best for you. My point was that SmartphoneHub is underappreciated - it is quite capable. I see it as an extension of Purion and it add lots of value on top of it. If you look at it as Nyon competitor, it probably doesn't look good at all...
yes but thats not a big deal.
Yeah, sensors are cheap, but why bother with Garmin if SmartphoneHub does a good report out of the box already. If you already have Garmin, there are points to use it, if just thinking about buying one - it is questionable and depends on what you really need it for. If just for uploading your rides to Strava - it doesn't worth it IMO. I bought cheapest one (EDGE Explore) with full maps for navigation only, nothing else from it is useful for me.

Cobi.BIKE app has pause functionality which works fine as well (at least so far, will test it further).

Makes sense, use what works best for you. My point was that SmartphoneHub is underappreciated - it is quite capable. I see it as an extension of Purion and it add lots of value on top of it. If you look at it as Nyon competitor, it probably doesn't look good at all...

Yeah, sensors are cheap, but why bother with Garmin if SmartphoneHub does a good report out of the box already. If you already have Garmin, there are points to use it, if just thinking about buying one - it is questionable and depends on what you really need it for. If just for uploading your rides to Strava - it doesn't worth it IMO. I bought cheapest one (EDGE Explore) with full maps for navigation only, nothing else from it is useful for me.
yes no clue why nyon and kiox wont pause a ride. I was going to get the smartphone hub but bosch kept delaying it the kiox upgrade ended up beating it.

Back