Bosch Intuvia Ebike Display Settings

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, to compliment the Bosch motor comparison from the other day, I have been filming short guides for each different electric bike computer that I interact with and I filmed the Bosch Intuvia on an older Haibike while visiting the Accell Group in Southern California.

In this video, I show how to change units from miles to kilometers, how to clear trip distance, average speed, and max speed, how to activate lights, and how to enable walk mode. This display is a lot deeper than the Bosch Purion. It is removable and does swivel (to reduce glare), and it even has an active Micro USB port for charging accessories (5 volt, 500 milliamp output). The remote button pad is extremely easy to reach and very responsive to presses. the plus and minus deliver tactile clicks and the i button is rubberized so you can feel your way around without even having to look down. This is my personal favorite electric bike display, and it shares many similarities with the Bosch Nyon color LCD (which is only available in Europe right now). Both displays use a similar button pad and are compatible with the COBI interface, which was recently acquired by Bosch.

Navigation aids:
  • Micro USB port at 1:10
  • How to enter the settings / configuration menu at 5:05
  • How to change units (miles to kilometers) at 5:05
  • How to activate lights at 4:07
  • How to activate walk mode at 4:39
  • How to reset trip distance, average speed, and max speed at 3:59 and 4:28
  • How to change menu readouts at 3:16
One note about the LCD computer unit, there is a coin cell lithium-ion battery inside the Bosch Intuvia (CR2016) that will eventually expire. It lasts a long time, but is not rechargeable. You need to remove the display and unscrew it in order to replace this little battery. It happened to my Uncle, who thought that the display had broken... Nope, just an expired battery in the display. Note also that the Intuvia can be more permanently fixed to the mount interface by a set screw underneath. If it feels like your Intuvia is not coming off easily, consider looking for this set screw by completely removing the mount from the handlebar. Many shops and ebike events use this set screw to keep displays with their respective bikes for security and convenience.

I do wish that the display had a battery percentage readout or finer increments on the battery infographic (it just shows 5 bars, which is 20% steps), but at least there's a dynamic range menu that updates based on your level of assist and last mile of riding. Depending on the motor in use, you may have eMTB mode (which replaces Sport mode) for dynamic power output based more on torque... it offers 120% to 300% assist and requires less hand/button input while riding.

Quick tips:
  • The buttons on the control pad include Walk (top edge), +, i (information), and -
  • The buttons on the display panel include reset, i (information), power, and light
  • To change units from miles to kilometers, hold reset and i on the display panel to enter the settings menu
  • To reset trip distance, average speed, or max speed, navigate to the menu by pressing i and then hold the reset button for a few seconds
  • To activate lights (if they are wired in), hold the light button for a few seconds
  • To navigate through the trip stat menus, press the i button, this includes: Trip Distance, Odometer, Clock, Max Speed, Average Speed, Trip Time, Range
  • To activate walk mode, you must be in one of the four levels of assist, then, press the walk mode button on the control pad and then hold +, not all ebikes have walk mode enabled, Trek is one brand that seems to disable it on all of their bikes
  • The display is always backlit, you can raise and lower the brightness in the settings menu (hold reset and i to enter the settings menu) but you cannot completely turn off backlighting
  • The settings and configuration menu allows you to update the clock, wheel circumference, language, units (kilometers vs. miles), time format (24 hour or 12 hour), shift recommendation, power on, display version, firmware version, and battery version
The official Bosch website lists all of their display panel specifications at: https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us-en/products/intuvia/ and I welcome your feedback, tips, and corrections below. I have included a screenshot of the Bosch website (in case it changes) along with a photo I took so you can look closely at the unit.

bosch-intuvia-electric-bike-display-settings.jpgbosch-intuvia-ebike-display-overview.jpgbosch-intuvia-ebike-display-riding-modes.jpg

Last edited:
How do you lower or raise the brightness of the screen? I couldn't that option in the configuration menu.

Hey Drew, I tried that and it didn't work. Its possible that the dimmable option was on the older Intuvia display with the removable battery.

Hi Court . My Bosch powered bike stoped dead while riding today. I brought the bike to my local Trek dealer where I bought it. They removed the Intuvia unit and charged it through the USB port for 2 mins . I was then able to ride the bike home with no issue. They told me that the Intuvia does not run off the powerpack and it needs to be charged about every month or so. I have had the bike running for over 200 hours and this is the first time is stopped. The Intuvia is on the USB charger now and seems to be charging since the display powers itself on and off in about 1 min cycles even though I have it turned off....I am crossing my fingers that this was the issue, and they are right and you are wrong about the battery being rechargeable. Perhaps this changed during the production run.

Last edited:
Hi Court . My Bosch powered bike stoped dead while riding today. I brought the bike to my local Trek dealer where I bought it. They removed the Intuvia unit and charged it through the USB port for 2 mins . I was then able to ride the bike home. They told me I need to recharge the battery in it about every month or so. I have had the bike running for over 200 hours . The Intuvia is on the USB charger now and seems to be charging. THe display powers itself on and off in about 1 min cycles....I am crossing my fingers that this works and they are right and you are wrong that the battery IS rechargeable. I think the Purion may not be rechargeable ... is that correct?
From my experience with the Intuvia, it recharges from the bike’s main battery as long it’s mounted. It also recharges when the bike is being charged. So in theory it should never lose power unless there’s an issue with the internal battery or the battery isn’t mounted while charging.

From my experience with the Intuvia, it recharges from the bike’s main battery as long it’s mounted. It also recharges when the bike is being charged. So in theory it should never lose power unless there’s an issue with the internal battery or the battery isn’t mounted while charging.[/QUOTE IF only that were true ,I would not be so tired right now. It ran fine for 58 km and showed 12 km left when it suddenly turned off. The Trek dealer said the display does not run off the powerpack.

I saw that too, but only applies if the bike isn't being used for a long period time.
Well I can tell you that I will be charging mine monthly as the Trek tech suggested , because it sucks to lose power at the bottom of a large hill on a heavy bike and a long way from home.

I did not know that a CR2016 battery was rechargeable. Hum ?? How do we know which one is which ?
From what I could read on the Net, they are not rechargeable. Still a mystery to me, kind a scare to plug a USB cable to the charging port.

Also for your info:
CR2016

Button and coin cell batteries are typically 5-25 millimeters in diameter and 1-6 millimeters in height. Lithium sizes can be determined from their reference numbers. The first two digits refer to the diameter of the battery in mm and the second two digits give the height or thickness of the battery in tenths of mm. So, for example, a CR2032 is a Lithium button cell which is 20 mm in diameter and 3.2 mm thick. A CR2430 is a lithium battery, 24 mm in diameter and 3.0 mm thick.Lithium button and coin cell batteries have a BR or CR prefix and primarily provide 3 volts. The Renata 751 is an exception at 2 volts.
Lithium batteries cost a bit more than alkaline, but last longer, weigh less and can operate in a much wider temperature range (extreme heat and extreme cold) compared to alkaline batteries.

BR Type Battery - (CF n/Li)
These batteries will provide a more stable voltage during the last half of its discharge.
In storage, these batteries will perform at Higher Temperatures.
CR Type Battery - (Mn02/Li)
These batteries will have a Higher Voltage during the first half of its discharge.
These batteries can provide a Higher current rating.

Last edited:
ook at page 6 ...it says " Regularly recharge the onboard computer's battery (at least every 3 months). "

Look even closer and that instruction specifically applies to times when the controller is removed from the bike for a long period of time:

"If you are not going to be using your eBike for several weeks, remove the on-board computer from its mount. Store the on-board computer in a dry environ-ment at room temperature. Regularly recharge the on-
board computer's battery (at least every 3 months)"

My understanding is that, in regular usage, the on-board computer battery is kept charged by the bicycle battery.

I can add that I have had the bike about 3 months ( the recommended charging interval ) and put 200+ hours and about 1500 miles ( 2400 km) on it. I have been storing the bike in an unheated garage and removing the battery and charging it off the bike in the warm basement, but I have always left the Intuvia on the bike.

Last edited:
Well all I know, my Intuvia has a 3.7v LiPo in it. And I do remember in one of Court's videos, he mentions that the newer Intuvias had rechargables, while the older ones had batteries that needed to be changed.

Attachments

• IMG_3408.jpg
    IMG_3408.jpg
    974 KB · Views: 1,209
Last edited:
I couldn't open it, without voiding the warranty. But look on the back the computer, it should tell you which is installed.

Back