Bike riding etiquette

Do you stop at stop signs or stop lights on empty roadways or streets?
Personally, it depends.

I use the old adage "govern yourself accordingly".

I never just full speed through stop lights or signs. I always stop at red lights, because I'm on the road, and in the city it's best to play by the rules.

There's a couple of intersections I pass regularly where I WILL skirt the rules 100%. One that uses 3-stage (north/south traffic, then eastbound only, then westbound only) for example. If the traffic system doesn't detect any cars going eastbound, there will NOT be an eastbound green light, and whatever sensors they have don't detect bikes (I've seen it not detect a motorcycle as well).

For stop SIGNS, I'll slow down, but if it's obviously clear (of foot AND vehicular traffic) I'll go through after the "slow roll". :D

I’m on back country roads in northwest Virginia and hadn’t seen any bikes till this morning. Then I passed about 8 spandex bedecked riders on acoustic bikes and two tadpole trikes going the other way and at a nice pace.

Every one of them was in their 60s or 70s. One tadpole rider might have been older. But every single one of them smiled broadly and either waved or fist bumped in response to my wave, including several shouts of encouragement.

It was really nice to experience. (And it’s blatantly obvious that my camo fat tire bike is an e bike, which none of them scowled about.)

I dunno, I kinda get it, sometimes I just get into the groove/zone, that kind of runners high and don't hardly notice other riders sometimes.

The flip side is my wife, she has to say Hi to EVERYBODY she meets! I find it a little annoying. LOL..

Looks great just ordered!

I was one of those guys for years and there is a secret handshake... try the head nod or the finger wave next time.

View attachment 60638

Great... I hope you ordered the Bike Snob Book and not the Jorts! ;)

You just know that the scowling Lycra warriors are fuming that I am screwing up their Strava segment rankings! I could care less, I only use the app to track myself. The fact that Strava is so far behind the times is not my problem. If they want competition, enter races.

Back to etiquette, I always nod to cyclists unless I'm grinding up a hill in low assistance, and usually exchange time of day pleasentries with walkers on paths. I employ the Idaho stop when it makes sense, but always obey red lights etc. One thing that bugs me is that when bike paths run into crosswalks, I don't dismount unless it has a sign that says so, and I had to explain the facts about bike lanes to a driver the other day. He was all pissed that we didn't dismount and walk across 4 lanes and median, and was very vocal. I stopped and yelled back if he would prefer to wait for 30 seconds while I limp across, or 5 seconds if I ride. He shut up, rolled up his window and briskly drove off.

A few other things on city joint use paths. Slow down, especially around dogs and children. Use your voice when appropriate and say thanks for people who pay attention. If you're the first of three bikes, say two more coming! If there's a lot of cyclists, signal your intentions at intersections. Bells don't hurt, but humans are like cattle, when they turn to look they often veer in that direction. "On your left" is pretty self explanatory!

On trails, especially single track, or other narrow paths, yield to the bike coming uphill if you can. So look farther down the track and not just right in front of you (when safe of course).

Have fun, and make it a safe and enjoyable experience for everybody if you can.
Except of course for that scowling Tour de France wannabe that I passed on the hill today. 😉🚴‍♀️

😂I’ve been on a fair number of vehicle forums and every single one of them, at some point, has exactly this same thread. Corvette owners to bike owners all feel put upon when their wave isn’t returned. I generally don’t initiate a wave but return them when I see or hear one.👋🏻

You just know that the scowling Lycra warriors are fuming that I am screwing up their Strava segment rankings! I could care less, I only use the app to track myself.
The fact that Strava is so far behind the times is not my problem. If they want competition, enter races.
Back to etiquette, I always nod to cyclists unless I'm grinding up a hill in low assistance, and usually exchange time of day pleasantries with walkers on paths. I employ the Idaho stop when it makes sense, but always obey red lights, etc. One thing that bugs me is that when bike paths run into crosswalks, I don't dismount unless it has a sign that says so, and I had to explain the facts about bike lanes to a driver the other day. He was all pissed that we didn't dismount and walk across 4 lanes and median, and was very vocal. I stopped and yelled back if he would prefer to wait for 30 seconds while I limp across, or 5 seconds if I ride. He shut up, rolled up his window, and briskly drove off.
A few other things on city joint use paths. Slow down, especially around dogs and children. Use your voice when appropriate and say thanks for people who pay attention. If you're the first of three bikes, say two more coming! If there's a lot of cyclists, signal your intentions at intersections. Bells don't hurt, but humans are like cattle, when they turn to look they often veer in that direction. "On your left" is pretty self-explanatory!
On trails, especially single track, or other narrow paths, yield to the bike coming uphill if you can. So look farther down the track and not just right in front of you (when safe of course).
Have fun, and make it a safe and enjoyable experience for everybody if you can. Except of course for that scowling Tour de France wannabe that I passed on the hill today. 😉🚴‍♀️

Here is the deal... Always record your Strava ride in the EBike category, unless you are an A$$hat and want puppies to die on the interwebs.

Be kind and always defer to non-powered forms of transportation... get a bell and stay off of multi-use paths unless you are a masochist. 😉

Do you stop at stop signs or stop lights on empty roadways or streets?

I never was one for obeying lights & signs when biking as a kid. The practice of ignoring them carried well into adulthood. That all changed in 1980 when I witnessed a cyclist run over and killed not 20 feet away. It's an image I'm not likely to forget.

I was stopped at a light in my car on Route 35 in south Jersey when a line of 6 spandex clad bikers passed me on the shoulder. They all ran the red but the last one in line hadn't cleared the intersection when the light turned green. A pickup on the cross street accelerated quickly making a right turn and caught the biker broadside. They just didn't see each other. It was early morning but there was plenty of light. My car and the pickup were the only vehicles in sight. I guess the bikers felt comfortable running the light with so little traffic.

That incident, along with a few others, is the reason I avoid riding on roads whenever possible. Call me a wuss but I always obey the signs on the rare occasion when I ride on road.

I have only ridden my bike in FL, GA, and NC. Maybe it is a southern thing, but almost all bikers, pedestrians, and even motor cycles I have encountered or passed either acknowledge or initiate a greeting or wave. Many bikers and pedestrians I pass say thank you when I ring the bell and announce.

I notice in my morning Ebike travels I see other bikers. 99% of them are young(er) acoustic bikers with the tight shorts, tight shirt, shoes clamped into some fancy pedals and riding the skinny, what we used to refer to as 10 speeds. I wave to every one that I come across. So far in about 20 rides, I don't think one has waved back. Do the 10 speed riders not like us Ebike warriors? Is there a secret wave?
Maybe they're jealous! I get a lot of stares at my rear hub motor, but I always wave two fingers at least, and nod. Say "Hi". I do seem to be the only person that rings my bell when coming up on others in the lane and always say "On Your Left!" before I pass. I don't hear anyone else use this bit of etiquette!

You just know that the scowling Lycra warriors are fuming that I am screwing up their Strava segment rankings! I could care less, I only use the app to track myself. The fact that Strava is so far behind the times is not my problem. If they want competition, enter races.

Back to etiquette, I always nod to cyclists unless I'm grinding up a hill in low assistance, and usually exchange time of day pleasentries with walkers on paths. I employ the Idaho stop when it makes sense, but always obey red lights etc. One thing that bugs me is that when bike paths run into crosswalks, I don't dismount unless it has a sign that says so, and I had to explain the facts about bike lanes to a driver the other day. He was all pissed that we didn't dismount and walk across 4 lanes and median, and was very vocal. I stopped and yelled back if he would prefer to wait for 30 seconds while I limp across, or 5 seconds if I ride. He shut up, rolled up his window and briskly drove off.

A few other things on city joint use paths. Slow down, especially around dogs and children. Use your voice when appropriate and say thanks for people who pay attention. If you're the first of three bikes, say two more coming! If there's a lot of cyclists, signal your intentions at intersections. Bells don't hurt, but humans are like cattle, when they turn to look they often veer in that direction. "On your left" is pretty self explanatory!

Have fun, and make it a safe and enjoyable experience for everybody if you can.
Except of course for that scowling Tour de France wannabe that I passed on the hill today. 😉🚴‍♀️
What an excellent post! Thank You!

Part of my perception is also probably due to most of us wearing masks...

Not sure if you were saying that cyclist are wearing masks-I would NOT recommend wearing a mask while riding, or jogging, or any other activity where you're exerting a decent amount of energy. It's possible to build up a layer of carbon dioxide between the mask and the face, which can cause the wearer to lose focus and possibly lose consciousness.

I live in a small town and almost everyone on bicycles wave or give a nod to each other. Occasionally, I spend some time riding in a larger city where there are many cyclist. Because of the large number cyclists tend to not wave to each other, unless two roadies pass by each other.

Had to tell you about today’s most egregious and frightening break of biking etiquette I’ve ever witnessed!
I'm returning up a long hill on a relatively narrow paved bike/hiking trail and I have my Allant+7 in Touring mode. It was about 1 in the afternoon and I’m just meeting a group of 5 or so younger (and faster!) folks going the opposite direction downhill when a rather large woman pulls out to pass her friends. Shocked as hell, I immediately move as far as I can toward the right and very steep edge of the trail. Realizing she’s in big trouble, she moves toward me then corrects back to the middle with her eyes open very wide! For a split second I’m sure our handlebars are going to collide. I could feel my blood pressure jump up in anticipation of a collision and could hear her say “ohhh” as we just miss each other. She made it back in her line just before she met my wife, who was braking hard!
I was wearing my normal bright yellow shirt and had my headlite on so I know she should have seen me, if she even looked. I almost turned and went back after them In Turbo mode to give her more than a small piece of my mind but was concerned that I might lose it and who needs that. I immediately thought of my recent crash and what damage could have been done and how my new helmet would have handled a head-on crash with her going at least 20 and me doing at least 15. I did look back and the group was just peddling away as I voiced some major bad phrases/names I haven’t said to a woman in decades. My wife voiced a few of them also!🥵🤬😵

Things happen, @Dallant. For that reason I hate riding bike paths, especially in the big city. I'm a road animal and don't feel threatened while riding with the traffic (especially as most of drivers are respectful towards cyclists in Poland) but could have several accidents on bike paths so far. The reason is there are too many cyclists on bike paths here and they ride fast.

Some time ago, I was riding very very slowly on a Warsaw bike path when a girl (who was walking her bike) got in my way. Mistakenly, I depressed the front brake lever hard, (and my Trance E+ has 203 mm MTB brakes of incredible stopping power). I did Over The Bars. The bike fell onto the drive side, hitting the warm asphalt so strongly the bitumen still remains on the bar-end! I hit my helmeted (Abus Pedelec+) head hard against the blacktop. If no helmet, we might not be talking right now...

I do hate riding bike paths in big cities!

Things happen, @Dallant. For that reason I hate riding bike paths, especially in the big city. I'm a road animal and don't feel threatened while riding with the traffic (especially as most of drivers are respectful towards cyclists in Poland) but could have several accidents on bike paths so far. The reason is there are too many cyclists on bike paths here and they ride fast.

Some time ago, I was riding very very slowly on a Warsaw bike path when a girl (who was walking her bike) got in my way. Mistakenly, I depressed the front brake lever hard, (and my Trance E+ has 203 mm MTB brakes of incredible stopping power). I did Over The Bars. The bike fell onto the drive side, hitting the warm asphalt so strongly the bitumen still remains on the bar-end! I hit my helmeted (Abus Pedelec+) head hard against the blacktop. If no helmet, we might not be talking right now...

I do hate riding bike paths in big cities!
I understand Stefan. This was a popular path out in the country that connects several very small towns. Other then little kids and dogs not being minded by the adults, his was the first time I’ve had anything close to an issue like this.
I too am an old traffic hound, but I’ve been hit twice in traffic though nothing serious. Now, with the advent of cell phones, my trust that drivers will see me or be able to react if they do has pretty much disappeared. Stuff can happen anywhere so it’s critical to always wear a helmet and be on your guard!

Had to tell you about today’s most egregious and frightening break of biking etiquette I’ve ever witnessed!
I'm returning up a long hill on a relatively narrow paved bike/hiking trail and I have my Allant+7 in Touring mode. It was about 1 in the afternoon and I’m just meeting a group of 5 or so younger (and faster!) folks going the opposite direction downhill when a rather large woman pulls out to pass her friends. Shocked as hell, I immediately move as far as I can toward the right and very steep edge of the trail. Realizing she’s in big trouble, she moves toward me then corrects back to the middle with her eyes open very wide! For a split second I’m sure our handlebars are going to collide. I could feel my blood pressure jump up in anticipation of a collision and could hear her say “ohhh” as we just miss each other. She made it back in her line just before she met my wife, who was braking hard!
I was wearing my normal bright yellow shirt and had my headlite on so I know she should have seen me, if she even looked. I almost turned and went back after them In Turbo mode to give her more than a small piece of my mind but was concerned that I might lose it and who needs that. I immediately thought of my recent crash and what damage could have been done and how my new helmet would have handled a head-on crash with her going at least 20 and me doing at least 15. I did look back and the group was just peddling away as I voiced some major bad phrases/names I haven’t said to a woman in decades. My wife voiced a few of them also!🥵🤬😵

I've encountered many incidents such as this on a trail I frequent in Lehigh Gorge State Park. The trail is 8 - 10 feet wide and follows the scenic Lehigh River as it descends through the gorge. There are several outfitters in the area that transport bikers and their bikes to the top of the gorge so they can make the 20 mile downhill ride. buses filled with 50 or more riders, pulling large bicycle laden trailers arrive hourly at the upper trailhead during the season. Most are rental bikes & riders, with no helmets or other safety gear. Most likely haven't been on a bike for years. They have no knowledge of trail etiquette nor are given any by the outfitters. They stream down the trail in hordes with little concern for anyone else. Many injuries and even a couple of deaths have happened over the years.

After a few near misses involving a good deal of verbal abuse I came to realize it's a waste of breath. If you ride enough on trails, sooner or later you will have a similar experience. Even though emotions are difficult to control at the time, it makes little sense to accost the offender(s). They either learned something, as hopefully was the case with your incident, are too ignorant to understand or they are so self centered that they just don't care. Either way, an emotional outburst may help you vent but serves little purpose. Just be thankful no one was seriously hurt.

I still love this trail but ride it early or late afternoon on weekdays when the thundering hordes aren't around.

I've encountered many incidents such as this on a trail I frequent in Lehigh Gorge State Park. The trail is 8 - 10 feet wide and follows the scenic Lehigh River as it descends through the gorge. There are several outfitters in the area that transport bikers and their bikes to the top of the gorge so they can make the 20 mile downhill ride. buses filled with 50 or more riders, pulling large bicycle laden trailers arrive hourly at the upper trailhead during the season. Most are rental bikes & riders, with no helmets or other safety gear. Most likely haven't been on a bike for years. They have no knowledge of trail etiquette nor are given any by the outfitters. They stream down the trail in hordes with little concern for anyone else. Many injuries and even a couple of deaths have happened over the years.

After a few near misses involving a good deal of verbal abuse I came to realize it's a waste of breath. If you ride enough on trails, sooner or later you will have a similar experience. Even though emotions are difficult to control at the time, it makes little sense to accost the offender(s). They either learned something, as hopefully was the case with your incident, are too ignorant to understand or they are so self centered that they just don't care. Either way, an emotional outburst may help you vent but serves little purpose. Just be thankful no one was seriously hurt.

I still love this trail but ride it early or late afternoon on weekdays when the thundering hordes aren't around.
I hear you. Timing is everything if you have a choice.😎👍

Back