Bike Alarm

I have read that even the GPS tracking devices are located and disabled by the professional thieves. It really sucks that bikes are such a target because for many people that ride bikes/ebikes it's their only transportation. Not that stealing is right anytime but to steal from the less than rich is just drug-addict pathetic.

I have read that even the GPS tracking devices are located and disabled by the professional thieves. It really sucks that bikes are such a target because for many people that ride bikes/ebikes it's their only transportation. Not that stealing is right anytime but to steal from the less than rich is just drug-addict pathetic.

Try walking away from a 10K+ dollar bike and feel ok about it. Not even when I use 2 Altor Ti locks, 2 60" Ottolocks, and a Litelock can I feel safe. Makes it scary just to go get groceries.

What I don't like about the alarm is that gives a warning sound and unless the movement continues it goes back to sleep. That gives them time to smash it. I was going to buy a couple more and put them in various spots on the bike, and I may add one more simply because it will be louder if the thief is very incompetent and the 2nd one may actually sound when the 1st one gets smashed.
Or something like that.

Try walking away from a 10K+ dollar bike and feel ok about it. Not even when I use 2 Altor Ti locks, 2 60" Ottolocks, and a Litelock can I feel safe. Makes it scary just to go get groceries.
Only a very few stolen yachts have been recovered from the GPS.

Remember this is just deterrent not prevention. Nothing can prevent thieves if they want it bad enough.
For quick grocery runs you might be able to get your bike when you hear the alarm.
Just one more tool to make it harder...
As others have mentioned you can have multiple unlocks and other devices...nothing is 100%

Remember this is just deterrent not prevention. Nothing can prevent thieves if they want it bad enough.
For quick grocery runs you might be able to get your bike when you hear the alarm.
Just one more tool to make it harder...
As others have mentioned you can have multiple unlocks and other devices...nothing is 100%

I only use the alarm if I put the cover on the bike. If they can see it they could easily disable it before it could even chirp. Someone may be able to steal my bike but they are going to make a s*it-load of noise and put on a spectacular fireworks show.

It's not a bike alarm, but could serve as one, having a thief grind away for an hour,

I really enjoyed watching this video where Bicycling.com tried an angle grinder on the new Altor SAF lock. They needed extra batteries and several blades on their portable angle grinders to cut it off.

That is one hellova bike lock... I do not want to live in the neighborhood where this is needed. ;)

1567825556142.png

I use this one: https://amzn.to/2H85KEl.

I have it underneath the seat, and it was a very tight fit (I had to remove the back cover even). No way anyone can remove it. It works great! Gives me peace of mind knowing that if anybody messes with my bike in any way, that alarm is going to make it very obvious. And people don't expect an alarm on a bike, so it really startles.

I use this alarm on my e-Bike and find it very convenient if I am running errands around town.

1567825728522.png

Last edited:
I use this alarm on my e-Bike and find it very convenient if I am running errands around town.

Yeah, that's the one I have, different remote. You think a love tap with a hammer wouldn't ... circumvent our security system? Thieves are shitheels but unfortunately, they aren't all stupid. I also find them a little touchy and wind will set them off.

It's not a bike alarm, but could serve as one, having a thief grind away for an hour,

I really enjoyed watching this video where Bicycling.com tried an angle grinder on the new Altor SAF lock. They needed extra batteries and several blades on their portable angle grinders to cut it off.

Holy carp! That's hilarious.

The Altor lock isn't meant to be used with a chain. It would be tough to find a chain that would fit it. I think the anchor chain might be too big actually. :) And no one would want to haul the chain around, if they were even able to, due to the weight. The lock is a U-lock, meant to lock a bike frame to something like a rack in front of a business or apartment over night.

I haven't looked really, but the weight of this lock, not to mention the bulk, is more than just about anyone would want to carry around.

I suppose it might have a use in some cases, and it's impressive that it's so time consuming to cut, but it seems more like something for some fun discussion, but mostly way too impractical to spend much money on.

TT

The Altor lock isn't meant to be used with a chain. It would be tough to find a chain that would fit it. I think the anchor chain might be too big actually. :) And no one would want to haul the chain around, if they were even able to, due to the weight. The lock is a U-lock, meant to lock a bike frame to something like a rack in front of a business or apartment over night.

I haven't looked really, but the weight of this lock, not to mention the bulk, is more than just about anyone would want to carry around.

I suppose it might have a use in some cases, and it's impressive that it's so time consuming to cut, but it seems more like something for some fun discussion, but mostly way too impractical to spend much money on.

TT
That's why I chose several different types of locks and multiples of some. Two Altor Ti locks work great at securing both wheels and through the frame. Otto locks work great for locking my panniers and bar-bag closed and to the bike. The Litelock is stiff but useful in several ways, I had two keyed together like the Altors but one got away from me on a ride. I just always tried to stay away from a heavy ass piece of chain that can be cut too. A good lock or 6, an opaque bike cover (probably most beneficial and lowest cost measure), an audible alarm (not visible when in use), and it still isn't "safe". But I feel safe enough to walk away from her for short periods of time.

Thieves wont waste time trying to defeat a lock when it is usually easier to cut through the bike rack or pole the bike is locked to

Thieves wont waste time trying to defeat a lock when it is usually easier to cut through the bike rack or pole the bike is locked to

@E-Wheels absolutely correct. Just cut the soft steel bike rack tubing, flex the rack open, and leave with the bike. Remove the Altor SAF elsewhere at thief's leisure.

Back