Big guy looking for a bike. 6'6

Last-Card

Region
USA
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. I've been doing tons of research on ebikes because I wanted to get back into cycling. I will mostly use it for exploring the city/trails in my area and as a possible commuter. I will also be using it for fitness to a point as I would love to lose some weight. I have some problems with my ankles so walking/running are kind of out of the question. I'm 6'6 and currently about 370lbs so much bigger than your average rider. This has made finding something that will work for me difficult as most max around the 250lbs-300lbs range. As such I'm of the mind I may just have to get the bike and do extra maintenance until I can lose the weight. For other requirements I want something a bit more upright, I don't care if it's class 1 or 3. I want an internally geared hub and belt system. Still not sure between the Enviolo and Rohloff systems but I think Rohloff may be the way to go with the wider range of gearing on it so I can put less stress on my drive train until I lose some weight. I live in Washington state pretty much smack dab between Seattle and Canada. We're going to pretend money is no object for this as well. I have a mindset of buy once cry once. I would rather spends 10k now then 2k followed by 4k then 6k ect ect. Thats not to say the bike has to be expensive just that I would rather start with better quality over all. Bearing all that in mind the main two bikes I'm looking at are Gazelle Ultimate C380+ HMB and the Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff with the heavy duty option as that puts the permitted weight up to 160KG or 352.74 LBS which means I'm not completely blowing the weight restrictions out of the water. It doesn't have to be either of those bikes I'm posting here for thoughts and advice as there will be some time before I make the purchase. Of those two Gazelle is supported at my local bike shop which is a plus but since neither brand uses proprietary electrics/breaks/wheels/hubs ect it really shouldn't be a problem and if it is It's not that far to hit an R&M shop. Of those two I like the R&M a little more I think it looks cool, the weight class on it is nice(Gazelle says they only test up 285 so I don't know if it would handle me or not) I like the dual batteries for possible future touring.

Please let me know of any thoughts or recommendations you may have I would appreciate any additional knowledge and feedback.

Riese & Muller is top notch, but here are a few other suggestions:

Workcycles FR8 MAD City with the Clydesdale option. This combination is not listed on their website but I expect they might be able to do this on request. The FR8 model can fit riders up to 6’8”, while the Clydesdale option adds reinforced double wall rims, and a double bolted seatpost clamp. Workcycles say the pedal bike Clydesdale FR8 can handle loads up to 250kg/550lb. The FR8 MAD City ships from the Netherlands to the US with a 48v Bafang BBS02 mid-drive motor, and Enviolo Cargo CVT hub, but without the battery which you would have to purchase separately. It does not have a Gates belt but uses a Chainglider same as I use with the Enviolo hub on my bike, I ride year round in all weathers and it does a good job of keeping the chain clean.

Day6 Samson750 Day6 state the bike can hold riders up to 400lb and 6’10”, has optional features including a saddle with a backrest, and ships from Florida the bike and battery with the same 48v Bafang BBS02 motor as the FR8. The bike has a derailleur not an IGH which might put you off, but it seems sturdy.

Worksman PAV3STR Stretch Trike, US made frame, claims a 600lb capacity, and the seat can move back and forth along the frame. The motor is very different, it is a 48v direct drive hub motor, this means it lacks the hill climbing torque of the geared BBS02 mid-drive motor, but it does have a neat reversing feature.

Last edited:
As somebody that's 6'2"/315 and been riding e-bikes for several years now, I can share that proper spoke tension is going to be critical on your bike. If not perfect or nearly so, you'll start breaking spokes soon after you start riding - and not because you're hitting bumps too hard. Improperly tensioned spokes will be flexing too much causing them to fail. Don't assume your bike will be delivered with properly tensioned spokes. Have them checked to be absolutely sure, especially the back ones.

Tire pressures to prevent rim cuts also critical. I would start at the maximum rating posted on the tire sidewall and go from there. Get some sealant inside the tubes. This will help maintain the pressure over time - so you don't have to check them once a week.....

I generally only need it on rare occasions, but I would look for something near the top of available power (even with the mid drives you are considering). NOBODY likes getting off their bike and walking it up the rest of the hill.

Absolute best of luck to you! -Al

Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate the additional options information. Bosch gen 4 motor I think is what it is with 85nm of torque regardless of speed variant. I think that makes it one of the better motors for torque. To that end though thats why I was looking at the Rohloff hub over the Enviolo because you have a wider range of gearing to do hills/speed/not overpower your motor.

My opinion is to only buy something that you have ridden. Buying internet sale only brands could be a horrible experience.

Back