Bidet

Marcela

Thought what could be more appropriate than discussion about bidets with our international friends, from the toilet paper community.

i am researching and considering the installation of one. Ran across this quote from Rolling Stones magazine.

"It’s shown me the difference between rubbing peanut butter out of shag carpeting with a paper towel, and that sparkling clean feeling you get right when you step out of the shower."

How exciting is that?

Complete units are not cheap. Probably have to institute a bidet tax to fund one.

Heard Biden is going to put a bidet in every household to stop spread of coronavirus.

you need a plug close to the toilet for warm water and such. I am fine with cold but my wife cant handle really cold water on her girly parts.

We only have the cheap ones that are hooked up to the cold water line in our home. It really wakes you up in the morning. I think it's a misconception that having a bidet reduces your TP use...if anything we use more of it now since it's used not only to wipe but(t) to dry, too. We did cut down on our baby wipe use for ourselves so I guess that's at least less landfill from us.

Last edited:
Been using one for years and will not go back to TP usage. Refreshing and a good thorough cleaning. The "peanut butter out of shag carpeting with a paper towel", analogy is the very reason why I switched over to that type of cleansing. You could also opt for a portable style using a squeeze bottle with a curved tube. :rolleyes:

we use far less tp. plus with a hot air dryer I don't even have to do anything. though I ran an extension cord a short one to plug it in. ,y wife could not handle the cold water on her lady bits.

We only have the cheap ones that are hooked up to the cold water line in our home. It really wakes you up in the morning. I think it's a misconception that having a bidet reduces your TP use...if anything we use more of it now since it's used not only to wipe but(t) to dry, too. We did cut down on our baby wipe use for ourselves so I guess that's at least less landfill from us.
While there are some nice models with all sorts of features (drying would be awesome), they just dont work my my house (one bathroom doesnt have elongated seat due to space, the other doesnt have convenient power nearby).

I use this model
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0RHSJO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also use this to keep from literally ripping myself a new one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JIG4AGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also get a similar model with hot/cold settings but I have a tankless water heater and the toilets are pretty far away so I would be wasting alot of water waiting for water to heat up.

Water out here in Colorado gets pretty darn cold in the winter. It can be borderline painful on the coldest days which can make it hard to 'de-clinch' and let the water do its thing. The trick is to get it done quickly(not always possible) so as to use just the water in the exposed water lines. I have actually made a long line coiled behind the bowl to allow more room-temp water.

That being said, I just ordered an mini electric water heater
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148O658Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plan is to just keep the temp low (around 80-90F) and run it directly to the bidet. It will be mounted under the sink, close to power and water lines run to the bidet.

TP usage for me is dramatically reduced, a roll can last a few weeks depending on diet. I dont focus on being completly dry, just clean.

Last edited:
My mom was the first in the family to use a bidet seat due to limited mobility (she's 88 now). Hers has all of the bells and whistles, including warm air dry.

She spoke so highly of it that when the TP shortage hit (even though we were well stocked), I bought and installed this one:
BioBidet

Warm water, multiple adjustable cycles, but no air dry.

We find ourselves using significantly less TP with the bidet seat, and when I looked at the other side of the wall behind the toilet, I found a readily accessible electric outlet (just punch a small hole through the wall, no extension cord needed).

In use we have found that a minimal TP 'bulk wipe', followed by the bidet cycle, followed by an even more minimal TP dry does the trick, and definitely uses less TP overall. The double benefit is that we are on a septic system, and the less paper going into that, the better!

My wife is native Japanese and automated toilets there have been around for decades. Over there, it's akin to picking out a new car as there are so many options. Several years ago, we had an electrician install a GFI next to the Toto commode in our ensuite and then we subsequently ordered a Toto washlet at one of the local home centers. It was an easy DIY and we both question why we waited so long. The C100 model that we have sports a heated seat, front/rear warm cleanse, warm air dryer, seat activated auto air deodorizer, pre-mist for cleaning, self cleaning wand, and all temp/pressure settings are adjustable via the arm control pad. It also has an energy savings feature that allows you to set the seat heater to low during periods of infrequent use. TP usage isn’t eliminated but the amount we now use is certainly less.

The in-law's washlet has a built-in motion sensor so when one enters the cubicle, the seat lid cover raises automatically. Many Japanese toilets also have sinks and small faucets built into the tops of the tanks that allows a person to wash their hands afterwards. The faucet's water flow is activated each time the toilet is flushed and stops when the tank is full. It also saves on space that would otherwise be occupied by a separate vanity.

Last edited:
What’s the big difference between the complete bowl/seat combo and just converting current setup with bidet seat? Seats seem reasonable, complete setup can get into some serious change. Yet don’t want to buy a seat and end up with s piece of junk.

I'd add a side benefit is to refresh your junk in between sessions during a marathon.
Warm water is a must if you don't want to return to the bedroom with exaggerated shrinkage.

My wife and I use a hand held wand connected to an extra long shower hose. Just run the water until it's warm, remove the quick attach shower head, pop on the wand and you're good to "GO" ;)

BTW, we do use a lot less TP which saves additional money by reducing septic tank maintenance.

Back